Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)

• 1322 Replies

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader
« Reply #100 on: Dec 15, 2010, 12:09 AM »
Thanks Drak, wouldn't of had such a good base if it wasn't for all your help answering my questions! By the way, looks like you've got a birthday coming up, so happy birthday!

Anything I could do to help a friend ner vod, and thanks ;).

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #101 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:16 AM »
So here’s what I have so far in the paint department. And please give me your honest opinions, cause when I look at it, it just doesn’t scream bone to me? (but I tend to be pretty harsh on myself with my own work) Maybe you can all point out to me what it’s lacking?

Not sure if I should add more darker areas like what’s over the left eye (when looking at it)

Also not sure when I finally seal this if I should go with a matte or a satin? Some bone has a bit of sheen to it but older bone doesn’t really.

And if anybody’s curious as to what I used for paint - Base coat was Rust-oleum painter’s touch ultra cover satin in heirloom white, then for adding the texture I used folk art acrylic paint- burnt umber, raw umber, cinnamon, and titanium white.

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 12:50 PM by seugtai » Logged

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #102 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:19 AM »
I would use a "Dab and wipe" method with maybe some Terra Cotta color, and maybe some charcoal dust, just to add some grim around the low areas.

It is looking great!

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #103 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I actually used Stormtrooperguy's technique of watering down the paint with window cleaner, then did the "dab and wipe" on top of that to darken certain areas. Yeah I actually intended on using some Terra Cotta but I was out of it here at the house, I'll definitely run out and grab some. And I've got some charcoal from the kids kits that I will use once the paint is complete, Thanks Spanner.  :)

« Reply #104 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:47 AM »
This is looking really awesome Seugtai :D Can't wait to see it finished :D

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 12:17 PM by Callista Gseran » Logged

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #105 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:50 AM »
No problem.  Just make sure once the charcoal goes on (I use a make-up or fingerprinting brush, and maybe a bit of spray adhiesive in strategic areas) that you clear coat it in a flat acrylic clear coat.

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #106 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Wow. Hmm, not sure that helmet is going to look good..maybe you should give it to me and start over!  ;D Just kidding that's a great job, can't wait to see the rest! (but I still want the helmet....)

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #107 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I think it looks wonderful and pretty darn bone-like color wise. Plus, Im sure the real life coloration is slightly darker than the pix?

Anyway, the only critique I would have that MAY make it seem more bone-like is more of a perception based than real base thing. Bone is smooth unless it's broken or extremely aged. However, most renderings of bone is pix and movies make it out to be not so smooth. So perhaps the smoothness of the helmet itself is what's playing with your perception of it looking like actual bone? Not because of how it really is but, because of how the world has conditioned us to something else.

One thing with skull bone is you see growth plates. Although they fuse by adulthood, you still see the seems. If your done is thick enough, perhaps lightly etching a few growth plate seams into the helmet would help yoour perception as well? Especially when they get dirtied up.

All that said, I think it looks remarkable and if you left it as is you would have nothing to be ashamed of. Only pride here. However, those are just some things that could help you and others "see" it as we've been conditioned to.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #108 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:09 PM »
No problem.  Just make sure once the charcoal goes on (I use a make-up or fingerprinting brush, and maybe a bit of spray adhiesive in strategic areas) that you clear coat it in a flat acrylic clear coat.

That's a good tip on applying the charcoal, didn't do that with my kids.  Thanks.

but I still want the helmet....)

;D lol, thanks Carter. Well we ARE clan mates, so we can always build you YOUR very own one! But ya can't have mine.  :P

One thing with skull bone is you see growth plates. Although they fuse by adulthood, you still see the seems. If your done is thick enough, perhaps lightly etching a few growth plate seams into the helmet would help your perception as well? Especially when they get dirtied up.

I really only abandoned the skull seams because I couldn't decide how to do them in the back.  I was going to do two more, one on each side on the back.  I thought about curving them slightly back toward the front.  Any ideas on the back seams for me?

It is a bit darker in real life, pics do wash it out a bit. Thanks for everything you've said A'den your post always really help me out.  :)

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 12:14 PM by seugtai » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #109 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I really don't have any suggestions to be honest I wish I did. The only thing I would think is to lightly draw them onto the surface using good reference pix from say a human or primate skull. If you have the fine micro attachments for a dremel I would use one of those the score them into it. If not, maybe use a box knife to scratch them in? They don't need to be really deep or wide, the weathering will make them pop.

However, if I were you, Id make sure I was 100% sold on it before I did it! Because once it's done if you don't like it it's fill , sand, fill, sand, fill ,sand repaint etc etc etc. lol!

Aniron

« Reply #110 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:53 PM »
wow, your progress is really good...
even if i like the coloring you did so far, maybe one or two of the following pics are an inspiration how you could change it a bit to be more satisfied with the result? lets try it :P

http://www.geo.de/GEO/kultur/geschichte/52814.html?t=img&p=1

they are a bit darker and sometimes damaged. maybe that's what you are looking for.
i find those picture when i searched for "schaedel" (what skull is called in german ;) ) with google. you can find even more good referencepictures there.

edit:

general grievous has a lighter bonecolor. like you did to your helmet. but he has this tiny gaps and scars all over the surface, what makes it look more.. alive? don't know. now it's back up to you to surprise us with your work ;)

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 12:59 PM by Aniron » Logged

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (helmet paint pg. 7)
« Reply #111 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:04 PM »
 ;D Danke vielmals, Aniron! (is that right?) I used Google to search for reference pics before I started painting, but I don't remember coming across those, so thanks. I think what it is that's bugging me is the absence of the skull seems. So I think I'll be adding those, then I'll post it up again and see what you all think.

Yeah maybe it's the absence of damage? Never thought to look towards Grievous! Excellent!

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 01:07 PM by seugtai » Logged

Aniron

« Reply #112 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:14 PM »
glad i could help :)
and yes, your german was right ;)
"skull" and "schaedel" brings up different pictures, so it's not remarkable that you didn't saw them before :P
i'm curious how this will turn out :)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #113 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Okay took this picture away from the window at my desk and auto adjusted it in photoshop, this is closer to what it actually looks like in person. Should have done this for the others. Sorry. I think it needs a bit more dark added to the lower chiseled out part of the helmet.

Aniron

Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (painted helmet pg. 7&8)
« Reply #115 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:11 PM »
that looks WAY better than the pics before!
do you have a backview?
if you add a bit more dark accents, it's perfect i would say.
don't know for the back, but there is so much "free space", maybe one or two seems would look good to break it.
i think we can clarify these issues when you draw the lines on the helmet ;)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (painted helmet pg. 7&8)
« Reply #116 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Yep, here's the other three views away from the window with auto adjustments. Post #89 has the skull seams I proposed sketched on the helmet.

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 03:37 PM by seugtai » Logged

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (painted helmet pg.8)
« Reply #117 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:10 PM »
All sorts of spiffyness. ^_^ Agree maybe just a tad darker (so flash doesn't wash it out and just look "white" vs "bone"). Love it.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #118 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Beautiful paint job! I love how bone-like it looks. The darker coloration in the details ROCKS. :D

« Reply #119 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:27 AM »
Will you go to a darker shading on the horns like in the canon-pic?

It looks definitly bone-like the shading, paint detals are really well done. You still don't seem to be a 100% convinced somehow, so the one detail I could think of to make it closer to an original bone carving lays in the mixture of rougher, natural surfaces and shiney surfaces a carving knife would leave on bone. Of course, professional ivory-carvings as you can find them in museums are sanded to one smooth finish, but we're talking of a rough, functional item here, not bones that have been embedded in earth until a restaurator saved them from rotting any further but kept changes to a minimum in order to keep everything intact for scientific studies.

Here are some buttons I carved from cow-bone about 15 years ago: the two on the left, I used for several years. The two on the right spend the entire time in storage. Please don't worry about your blackish struktures, I cut any of those out from the start, Naturally, they exist in such large pieces of bone, so your paint job doesn't lack correctness. The dark stain on the far left is the result of a metal ring's abrasion / corrosion that fixed the carving to the zipper. Dark stains can come from blood vessels in the bone as well as from corrosion tainted lubricants that seep into the creaves.

USE defines color and can vary a lot. (ebony is bleached to snow-white by UV-light) I think there is a Maori tradition along the line that the wearers spirit manifests in bone carvings worn close to the body, so if it's meant to be given as a present, worn is valued higher than white & from the workshop.

Fazit: it's not the paint, from here it's about the luster on the edges that are to receive the most of the wear.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2010, 05:43 AM by Tomoe » Logged
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #120 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:10 AM »
I think I've hit the point where I like what I see when I look at it. I darkened the lower chiseled out area at the bottom of the helmet, added more shading to the horns, and darkened the crevice area around the raised portion of the "Y". I think if I keep fooling with it, it's just going to look over done. I also think I will be adding a satin sealer, I may try to mix it with a matte, hitting certain areas with the satin(high points, edges, etc.) and the lower laying areas with the matte. (Is this what you were referring to Tomoe?)

These have been enhanced so you see what I see when I look at it (the first is a bit lighter then the real one). In a regular picture, they look like my previous paint apps. in posts#113 and #116.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone I really appreciate the time you take to make a reply.  :)

Hondo Karr

Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (re-painted helmet pg.9)
« Reply #121 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:27 AM »
That thing really looks great!

« Reply #122 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Yes, that's what I meant. Fantastic combination of shape and paint now!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #124 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Thanks A'den and Tomoe you guys always seem to hit upon whatever it is that I just can't seem to place. Many Thanks!!!  ;D

Thanks Callista.  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!