Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)

• 1322 Replies

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (BONE paint apps. pg.18)
« Reply #275 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I've been following this topic for a while, but I couldn't just sit by and watch anymore.  I feel compelled to tell you how great this looks.  Your painting of the bone texture looks absolutely amazing.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #276 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:00 AM »
I found a pic of someone's armor that I think looks like what you're talking about.
http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/Fifetrooper/MDA%20Muscle%20walk/?action=view&current=IMG_6290.jpg
am I right?
If so, I think you could PM this user for more information on how he did it: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4822

Yeah, that's actually exactly the kind of look I'm going for. I did some of that effect on some of my kid's kits but, it was mainly just edges, easy to hit stuff with a rattle-can. For my Ripper I wanted that in some of the raised and low places on the main body of the gun to bring out the details and around the barrel. It may be something I have to pull the airbrush gun out for. Thanks for finding that and the member it belongs to , I may have to shoot them a PM.  ;)

Thanks everybody else for the comments and continuing to follow along, I really appreciate all the help you've been giving me.  ;D

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #277 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:28 PM »
The way i do it (and when I get home I'll throw up a few pic's if I can remember) is much the same way you did the bone look. Black washes, dabbed brown, rust and dark gray, with a highlight of true silver dry brushed onto raised areas.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #278 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Sorry I should have done this to begin with.

So this is what I want for the main body of the blaster, that scuffed up beat up metal look.

And the fade look I'm after for the barrel, which like Hagen said would be the carbon scoring.

So would it be best to just use charcoal and rub in the places I wanted over a silver paint, or should I attempt to airbrush it. Should I paint it all black than rub on a silver? Anybody tried to get this look before? Please help me...

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #279 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Hi there Seugtai,

This build is totally fantastic! You have done an amazing job and look like you have been doing propmaking and weathering and painting for years. When I replied to your PM, I didn't know you had done this work, I feel really stupid for some of the suggestions which were very basic. You already have the skills necessary to pull off the look you are wanting to do.

Now that I have read through this thread and seen more of what you are wanting to do, I can give some better advice.

First after filling in the grain like others have said and it is nice and smooth, you will want to lightly rough it up with fine sandpaper and then I would use light grey primer. Then I would hit it with matte aluminum. To get the grimier look, you will want to do a combo of drybrushing/rag washing, etc. with different shades of grey and such. Use some steel wool or such to help rough it up. Do some gray washing/black washing over top of all that to help with the cracks and crevices.

To do the carbon scoring around the emitter nozzle, do very light drybrushings to make layers of dark grey/black down to next to nothing. The darkest point would be the edge at the tip of the emitter, then work your way down making sure to go very light and do layering. If it seems too dark, just rub it with steel wool or such. Another trick to get good dark powedery looking stuff is literally black ash. An easy way to get it is to go get some cork stoppers, or cork board. You will want to take a lighter and literally burn it, hold the flame until the cork catches fire, then immediately blow it out. Then rub the burnt cork on it and the ash does fantastic. I tell you, the more I look at these builds and such, the more I remember all the tricks I used to do my model building. I need to go back and do some more work to my weathering, using the tricks, I have forgotten about.

That should get you the look you are after and this is probably a better answer than what I suggested in the PM. I apologize for that, as I didn't know the level of skill that you have.

Keep up the fantastic work and can't wait to see this done. This is one kit, I would absolutely love to do a photoshoot with! Would be fantastic!.

Got this bookmarked for future ref...

:-)

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!
« Reply #280 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:48 PM »
PM replied to, seugtai.  :)

"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote: 'A flute with no holes is not a flute...and a donut with no holes is a danish.' He was a funny guy." --Ty Webb CADDYSHACK

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #281 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:54 PM »
PM replied to, seugtai.  :)

LOL, twice in fact...Thanks Muad'dib.

« Reply #282 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:56 PM »
You know, I had a problem with the page reloading on me and I wondered if it was going to do that.
Hope It helped, though.

"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote: 'A flute with no holes is not a flute...and a donut with no holes is a danish.' He was a funny guy." --Ty Webb CADDYSHACK

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #283 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:13 PM »
You know, I had a problem with the page reloading on me and I wondered if it was going to do that.
Hope It helped, though.

Yes, it did, and thank you and everyone else I bugged through PM's. I have a great plan of attack now for how I'm going to paint my Ripper. I really appreciate you all sharing your little tricks with me.

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #284 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:03 PM »
You are very welcome, now get to painting! Want to see more pics...lol.

Keep up the great work.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!
« Reply #285 on: Feb 28, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I still love you. <3 lmao

I don't wanna change the world... I just want to leave it Colder.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (painted RIPPER pg.20)
« Reply #286 on: Mar 04, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Okay so I'll let you decide, I may have gone a bit overboard. LOL I kinda like it though, it has the look I was after. With all the great techniques everyone shared I kinda applied most of them to the Blaster. Two different metallic rattle-cans by Testors-Graphine Dust and Diamond Dust, rubbed it down with some steel wool, black washed it, lit a cork and rubbed it all over (probably my favorite new technique learned, thanks Ajax!), rubbed some ground up charcoal all over it, and sprayed the barrel edge with some black flat paint.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me out with techniques, I really appreciate it.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #287 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Good job , look's heavy and metallic , i personally would have went darker , but I like It  ;D

P.s. Is there a spider in that brick ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nmBBEYwlg

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #288 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Rotfl, Kel you always crack me up.  :D

You would go darker with the whole thing? When I look at it in real life it's darker than the pic, more a gunmetal. I took it outside to get the light reflecting off it so you could see the metallic sheen it has to it. But the pic does wash it out a bit. I can post an adjusted pic as well if it'll help.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #289 on: Mar 04, 2011, 06:02 PM »
No need , it looks great  ;)

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #290 on: Mar 04, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Excellent job! You did a fantastic job with the weathering.

You are most welcome and glad the tips helped. Keep up the great work!

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #291 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Yep that looks pretty metal to me :D

It does look a little plain though, all being the one colour. Are you planning on giving it some more? For example, I'd do a darker grip section.

Vash Bastra

• formerly newbeskargam
« Reply #292 on: Mar 05, 2011, 12:28 AM »
Yep that looks pretty metal to me :D

It does look a little plain though, all being the one colour. Are you planning on giving it some more? For example, I'd do a darker grip section.
^this. I LOVE the work you've done with it, and it's fine as is, but I think it would look better if it lookd like less one piece of metal and rather an assembly of parts, like many guns actually are. Different colored grip, slightly darker muzzle, some stuff lika that. but melikes how you have it now!

The trick isn't hiding from your prey
The trick is not needing to.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #293 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:20 AM »
Oh yeah, it's not done. I was just getting feedback on the metal paint job. I plan on making a leather grip for the handle, I just haven't found all the leather's I'll be using yet. The barrel is actually slightly darker than the main body it just didn't show well in the pic, but I'm afraid to make it any darker, cause that would just be all black. There is a bit of red in the reference pic about where the exaggerated "h" groove is, I was thinking of doing some Mando'a text there maybe Ripper? Any suggestions.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #294 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:56 AM »
that ripper is looking mighty good  ;)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #295 on: Mar 05, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Thanks everybody for the feedback on the Ripper so far. Moving on to the next business at hand, my axe should be completely painted in the next day or so and I wanted to start working on my backpack.

While looking at the Star Wars - Tales of the Jedi - The Sith War Comic I saw this guys backpack and liked it better than the round lifesaver looking ones.

Where I have the red arrows, I think this might be part of his shoulder and neck armor but, I'm not really sure.

So my question is, would it be fine to include those parts for my backpack design?

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #296 on: Mar 05, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I was about to say, if you can pull it off that will be awesome, but I already know you can. That WILL be awesome.

Yeah Mando'a text in red on the ripper will look cool, along with the leather wrappings.

« Reply #297 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Seugtai, any chance I could see a pic of how the Ripper looks in your hand? :)

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #298 on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:13 PM »
To answer your question about the back pack, yes you can. It is your backpack and your design, besides, I think it looks good with the way you have drawn it up. That will make a cool backpack system and can't wait to see it!

Keep up the great work.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #299 on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Ok after looking at the pic a couple of times now, I belive your right on the money with the backpack design.

Have a good one,
Hagen

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!