Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Callista Gseran's Bucket WIP *New pics Pg. 11 [Saz 2 pc]* (Pic Heavy)

• 152 Replies
OK, so I'm working with a Jango 2 piece.

And here it is apart.....

The new visor....an 8x15.5" Green Grinding Shield from Ace.

Some damage I noticed when I took the helmet apart. I'll be fixing this by reinforcing behind it and then epoxying the crack and then epoxying the earcap over it.

I cut out the visor last night using a drywall knife... first time ever cutting out something that way... and it came out pretty good. Here, I've removed the protective film so you get a better feel for how it will look.

And a test inside the buy'ce.... I know it doesn't fit just right. You'll see why in a minute. The protective film is still on in these pics.

Helmet after a hand sanding.

And the inside..... See those little posts? There are holes drilled through the current visor to fit over the posts.... I'm wondering if I should drill holes in the new one or sand them down...

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2011, 11:55 AM by Callista Gseran » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Callista Gseran's Bucket WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:49 PM »
It'll save you a world of trouble to just sand the little nubs off. A dremel is probably the easiest way,but you can cut them off with a razor knife and sand them by hand if you don't have one.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Thanks Slade. I have a good razor knife (for drywall). I can do that this week. Don't have a dremel, so hand sanding it is....hooray :P The plus side to that though, is i'm having to take my time, so I can have more time to get the details. Really glad I noticed that crack when I did.

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2010, 03:04 PM by Callista Gseran » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2010, 04:37 PM »
I've done it the razorknife and hand-sanding way, and while tedious, it gets the job done :). As for the crack, your plannned fix should be just fine, assuming the earcap covers it all the way. If it doesn't, you can either use a little bit of bondo, or you could even cover the top with a thin layer of some kind of epoxy, then after painting, hit the epoxy with silver so it looks like a weld point. I've done that from time to time, if done right, it adds a nice little battle damage flare.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2010, 05:21 PM »
The earcap only covers about half of it... so looks like I'll be doing the second option :P

EDIT: I did some hand sanding of the nubs after hacking them out with my drywall knife....

Also a test fit of the visor I cut (still has the film on it)....

I think it turned out pretty well :) The visor isn't in there permanently yet, this was just a test fit :) Hence the tape....

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2010, 07:34 PM by Callista Gseran » Logged

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Just make sure when you glue it in that you try to keep the distance between the mandibles the same from top to bottom so the visor doesn't taper inward or outward too much near the bottom.  Of course, visor comes after paint, so can't see what the paint apps look like!  Keep up the good work!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:25 PM »
What color are you planing to paint it?
Visor looks good so far.

I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:57 PM »

paint concept

I borrowed the image from the WOF templates on TDH

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 09:50 PM by Callista Gseran » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Looks straightforward enough :). As for the posting issue, at certain times of day server traffic gets high enough to bog things down a bit. It usually just means you have to be patient and/or persistent. Eventually it gets through ;D.

Dar'kumn Vol

• Your song has yet to be written.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Looking pretty solid ther kiddo. Remember, timeis your friend. Don't get in a hurry and this will turn out great. What are you using to seam the two halves together? 

I'm partcial to 5 minute epoxy. Put it on the edges, put the helm together, slather on both sides and sand til smooth. Worked greAat on my last one.

There are no heroes, only those with conscience. Once they take rise, none shall stop them. They lead us forward into tomorrow not limited by today. They are who we strive to be.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Thanks, Dar'kumn :D I've got epoxy..... plus I'm thinking to try an experiment that Spanner suggested instead of bondo to even out the dome (its an uneven match along the seam). Microballoons and fiberglass resin, which will make it lighter than if bondo was used, but still achieve the same result :)

IronMando

• Doofus
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:30 PM »
I think you should add some scallops like you did to the rest of your kit.

Mandalorian Merc # 0294
"I was blue before you."
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:46 PM »
I was thinking that, but not sure how to incorporate them on the bucket yet.. which I tried to say in one of the many times I'd tried to post the scheme :P

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:28 AM »
I would suggest that you take each step one at a time.

1. Glue the bucket together (but not the earcaps)
2. Some like to fiberglass the inside of the bucket to hel keep the shape.
3. Give the crack a quick sanding (this will even out a few disparities and gives whatever you use to smooth it out with something to bite onto).
4. Put your filler (be it bondo or whatever) on in small amounts.
5. Build up filler and/or sand in small amounts as you go, it will help you keep smooth.

The one thing you need not do is cram loads on, unless you have a mouse sander, which, with a fresh sanding pad should make short work of any bondo.

Just remember bondo does clog any sandpaper and will wear it out pretty quickly.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:53 AM »
thanks Saz! :D That list of steps should help a lot. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself here ;)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:14 PM »
4. Put your filler (be it bondo or whatever) on in small amounts.
5. Build up filler and/or sand in small amounts as you go, it will help you keep smooth.

The one thing you need not do is cram loads on, unless you have a mouse sander, which, with a fresh sanding pad should make short work of any bondo.

Just remember bondo does clog any sandpaper and will wear it out pretty quickly.
All good points, but I cannot stress the ones quoted above enough. The main mistake most folks make when modding a 2pc into usefulness is too much bondo/other-auto-filler. Some of them literally end up spending weeks sanding, usually because they're doing so by hand, but even with power sanders it sucks. I used too much myself the first time I modded a 2pc with bondo; spent hours with my mouse sander, it was terribly tedious.

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Speaking of steps, I posted a step-by-step tutorial for turning a 2-piece into an acceptable piece of kit.  I can email it to you if you like.

« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Ok..... here's my first go at the helmet.... .I tried very hard to keep the layers thin.

Helmet epoxied before I started

Mixed Resin and microballoons!

First portion of the resin mix

Dome is fully covered now

First Sanding...

Reinforcing the ear seams.....

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:10 PM »
You know my stance all ready. ;)

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Just a heas-up, I will be bringing some hobby files to the AP so you can use those to clean op the spatter and edging.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Yep, I do ;)

:D Thanks Harro.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 08:59 PM by Callista Gseran » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:06 PM »
It's kind of late now...but there's really no need to cover the entire dome with bondo. All you really needed to do was cover the seam, and extend it maybe two inches to either side, to give yourself enough room to smooth it so that there wouldn't be a noticeable line.

Still, it looks like you put thin, smooth enough coats that you shouldn't have much trouble; it already looks fairly smooth going by the pictures.

Jeivis Kotep Messerno

• Have hope & defy the odds.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2010, 02:28 AM »
It's kind of late now...but there's really no need to cover the entire dome with bondo. All you really needed to do was cover the seam, and extend it maybe two inches to either side, to give yourself enough room to smooth it so that there wouldn't be a noticeable line.

Still, it looks like you put thin, smooth enough coats that you shouldn't have much trouble; it already looks fairly smooth going by the pictures.

Ditto. The whole covering the dome was really not going to work at all for me. If you can pull it off, I give you props.

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Dont worry, Slade.  Ill get her squared away today.

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!