Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Karir- Beast Hunter/Tamer - FINISHED! Pic Heavy - Page 12

• 200 Replies

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Finished and Approved! :D

So I just took about 2 minutes to choose my Mando name.. please tell me if it means something terrible *lol*

This is going to be a looonnng term project for me, unless I sell one of my existing 501st costumes or tip over a nice big bag of unowned money in the middle of the street.

I've made a few minor decisions so far..
Style- Modern
Material- Dished Metal (I love the rustic ripple effect of unfinished dishing)
Plates- Definitely going for the Cupped look
Soft Parts- I have a very clever seamstress friend, but intend to make most of it myself

I'm still struggling a little with design and concept.. Ive seen some truly beautiful pieces here and I want to do my absolute best.. So far anything I design tends to look good on paper, and odd when brought to life.

I would very much value any input anyone here is willing to give!

My concepts so far;

V1

V2

V2 has long thigh holsters for twin ee-3's Ive been modifying. The belt has also changed, the armor is closer together (thanks for the correction Ghostwalker!) and the front portion of the skirt might be 2-3 loose layers for an extra hint of color.

I'm hoping to use 2-3 shades of silver, a few hints of pale (creamy) gold, varying shades of cream-ivory and touches of turquoise.. perhaps involving real stones there somewhere, but I dont know how yet.

Thanks for visiting!

*sorry for late name change!*

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2014, 06:16 AM by Tirilia » Logged
Re: Zir Kai'li WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2010, 04:23 AM »
Nice concept art! Are you sure you want to go for a modern-era kit? The furry stuff and visible straps could make a cool early crusader.

To the ergonomical aspects: take a photo of you in a tight suit (mark essential points like center knee and natural waistline with tape or belts) print it on a large sheet and draw your plate design on your OWN body shape to fix the basic proportions and angles.

When you have merged concept and reality, cut the plates as 1:1 templates from paper, pin them on a body suit / vest to check body movement and make sure that the interspacing is no wider than the CRL allows. I see two points that will require your special attention: the pulled-down sides that will block any bending of the upper body sidewards and the pointy tips of the second stomach-diamond. When you work with metal, make sure all the tips get a safe radius!

Even though the thing won't cut you when you stand, imagine what happenes if you're in a car accident with the seatbelt pressing down on it, or stumbling down a stair. I really hope that such a thing never happenes to you, but you are going to wear the stuff in real life situations and it's better to be safe than sorry.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:02 AM »
Heh thank you! I only thought of Modern because I love the Fett style helmet.. and I have no idea what a crusader is supposed to look like.. asside from the fact they look a bit more predatory... Ive checked just about every single WIP thread here, and all the finished pictures I could find.. all I've seen are Fett style.. I think. Um? *lol*

That is a very good idea.. hmm.. 

Heh I'm pretty use to a TK, which doesnt allow much movement at all.. Lucky I'm more of a stand still and look awesome type of person *lol*  but you're right.. perhaps sharp points arent such a good idea, unless I have some decent padding under their edges.

Yikes.. thats a horrifying thought... I guess having metal jabbed in wouldnt be much better than ABS plastic. Very good point, no pun intended there.

I dont think anyone makes metal armor though, do they?

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:11 AM »
Lots of people do.  I think Tomoe makes the best so far...

-Shiv-

"There is always more money to be made as an independent contractor"   - Boba Fett Motivator Poster

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:32 AM »
most people paint their armor, Tomoe goes au natural on hers... 
which is part of the reason we all think of her when someone mentions metal.

Mando armor can be done alot cheaper than a good TK... atleast a wearable V1.0.
for instance I use a mix of 6mm sintra (used about 30$ worth so far) and 6" PVC pipe (cost me 32$ for 10') for all my plates.
that 10' pipe can give enough material for a whole modern kit if laid out carefully...

if metal plates are busting the budget how about doing an alpha version out of something cheaper?
get the kinks worked out your design, then when the money is there go for the deluxe metal version...

I'd rather see you get a wearable kit going so you can have fun and keep the mando spark alive than see your project languish for eons (like many of us have done with various projects, like my 5yr old TK kit that is still in a box).

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:53 AM »
Hi Again Ghost!

Au Natural is exactly what I'm after..

Just to quickly borrow from Kione's thread (thank you!)

That rippled look, to me, is perfect.

My TK (AM armor) cost me about $1500 once I was done with glue, time, tools, webbing and chocolate *lol*

Having an Alpha version is a good idea, but sadly I'm the kind of annoying person who frets about getting it done all out the first time, then making small modifications over time.  In the mean time, I have all my other costumes (including a very special Jedi, which I'll post here when it's done)  to keep my love of the 501st and charity costuming rolling.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I think that the skin-tight plates and open-work collar you are planning just call for aluminum. And in my opinion, femplates are much easier to shape from metal than from sintra plates.

You are right, we don't have many Earlys around so far, but if you check out Seugtai's build and the picture collections, there is much to discover.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I really like your design for your collar and ab plates and I think you could definitely have a lot of fun with metal.  When I first started my kit I had never worked with metal before and I absolutely love it now.  Just an FYI, in the picture of my upper armor the metal looks rippled because it hasn't been cleaned yet.  To show you what I mean, here is my unfinished backplate.

On the far left you can see the metal has been dished and planished, but it hasn't been cleaned yet.  In the lower middle you can see the metal has been dished only, giving the raised hammer marks.  And on the far right the metal has been dished, planished, and cleaned with a wire brush and wiped with a towel.  If you wanted to keep the rippled look I would suggest simply wiping your plates down with a cloth and giving them a clearcoat to prevent rust.  Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your build!

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Tomoe, I agree :D  just have no idea how to do it O.o have read the tutorials on it here but I know I wont be able to do it, even if only because I know my neighbours will complain about the noise, and we need them on our side when we intend to build a fence *lol*

Heh I like Seugtai's work.. but not fond of the helmet style.. I think I may end up being a cross between Modern and Early Crusader, if thats allowed :)

Kione, thanks for posting!  Ooh okay.. so it doesnt still have the hammer blows to mark it out, its just not cleaned.. Well, thats fine with me :)  top left corner (left staring at the picture, not the left hand side of the armor) is about what I'd try for.

Thanks for that info Kione, much appreciated :) 

I think I'll have to bit the bullet, fork out some $ and beg someone else to do that one bit for me, or just get me started and I can do the rest.. I dont know *lol*

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Yep I think with the early crusader styles you either love it or you hate it, lol. And alot of a build for one has to be made from scratch. (I'm quite humbled that Tomoe would even direct anyone to my build, wow, thank you.)

I really like your V1 concept art, if you saw mine, I'm more partial to a smaller back skirt. (trying to keep a more slim look visually) Adding to what Tomoe said, I actually take a picture of myself, then use that to trace onto paper so I can find a design that will look good on my body. Your in good hands with the two ladies that have chimed in to help with the metal questions, they both doing amazingly beautiful work!  Looking forward to seeing this.

Oh love the GIR by the way! Just made one of my nieces GIR's dog costume for Halloween this year.  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 03:26 PM by seugtai » Logged

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:34 PM »
*lol* Thanks, here's the original size if anyone wants it

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/Tirilia/501st/Storm_Trooper_Gir_commission_by_mad.jpg

just rehost please :) hehe thats one awesome halloween costume ;)

Thanks Seugtai! I do like it, the Crusader is kinda neat, just dunno if I want to go spikes n stuff everywhere.. happy with a modern who looks like theyve been through a lot *lol*

I did see your concept art.. girl you've got some serious drawing talent there!

I should probably go ahead and do that bit.... just wondering though, are we allowed to wear proper corsets under our armor or jumpsuit?

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Well if it's under the jumpsuit it doesn't really matter as nobody can see it. *chuckle* But several of us have done/are doing quasi-corset style vests. I don't think a real, full on corset would work for a main kit though.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=30999.msg435336#msg435336 That's the only one off the top of my head I knew there was an image of. I know there are others who are at least working on them, myself included.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar MendrosŤ

Shak-ti 4 Him

• Dessert is NOT a treat... It's a necesscity!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:33 PM »
First of all, I am excited to see where this is going!! Second, I don't know if you have been reffered yet, but Vhe'dn is (in my oppinion) the master at femme chest armor!! She has done mine and I have been so happy with her work...

I should probably go ahead and do that bit.... just wondering though, are we allowed to wear proper corsets under our armor or jumpsuit?

LOL!! I love that question! (I actually have a 1800's corset that I just made for reenacting but I never would have thought of using it for under armor... good idea... :D )
But I honestly don't know if that would be something that would be 'illegal' concerning becoming offical, but I certainly see no reason why it would be a problem if it wasn't visible...
I still have yet to ask if black lace-up vests are okay for femme armor when trying to become a member. That's what I have...

"The difference between people who do things and people who DO things is that the people who DO things do things..."

Try and figure that one out...

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:15 AM »
Ooh interesting..

I bet every fem asks that corset question.. Corsets are a girls best friend, especially if she intends to show off a figure of some kind ;)

if it was a simple one, worn under a jumpsuit, it would possibly work quite well... would have to be a comfortable one though..

Ah well, cross that bridge when I get to it.. for the meantime, I should probably do what everyone else has suggested and set up that photo and sizing thing.

I have been, Shak, thank you :) But she's not taking comissions at the moment.. real life comes first, and boy do I know where she's comin from there!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Off topic- Just wanted to say I saw your custom saber over on TDH and...WOW :o. (You do ridiculously nice work, really can't wait to see what you do here) Also saw your Pic in the buckets off thread and you are Gorgeous girl!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!