Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vest Material..

• 9 Replies
Vest Material..
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Hey guys, just wondered whats the best Material for vests?

seem a few different things but not sure whats best?

Thanks

"Trying to pick a fight with a Mandalorian - I can see you're not too bright."
―Canderous Ordo

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Vest Material..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Most use either a duckcloth/canvas or vinyl. Actual Boba vest is made from tackle twill and actual Jango vest is made from leather. Both are better alternatives (canonly speaking) however, they aren't as cost effective or as widely found.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I've used a semi-quilted fabric from Joanns, it gets a bit warmer than most, but has a nice texture and gives a little extra beef to your vest.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:09 PM »
My personal favorite is vinyl with a durable cloth liner. I really like to add in foam padding between the shell and liner, but didn't do it with my current vest. It makes the plates seem to set closer and pads the upper body to help camouflage any extra weight around the middle.

Pretty much just use whatever you like as long as it is sturdy enough to handle the weight of the plates without drooping. Any stretch material will just annoy you later in life.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:21 AM »
I like duck cloth for its comfort and durability, and any kind of heavy twill is a good choice also. The vest I currently wear is cotton twill with a heavy lining, and it has survived many troops. And it's washable! :)

Pleather/vinyl is a very popular material for flak vests and it can look good, but a couple of caveats:

-It doesn't breathe, so if you are trooping in a warm climate, you will sweat. A lot. And pleather isn't as washable as fabrics which means you will need to hand wash it.

-There are many inexpensive vinyl materials out there, but most of them look really cheap. Unless you find something with a realistic finish, it is going to look fake. Marine vinyl is thick and durable, but also expensive and difficult to work with on the sewing machine.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:06 AM »
where can black canvas material be found?

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order AS THEY SHOULD BE!

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Fabric/sewing stores like Joann's.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:34 AM »
ok thanks Taglar

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order AS THEY SHOULD BE!

Tiros Thanos

• Sic vis pacem, para bellum.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:57 PM »
any military grade vests acceptable? i know the flak vest isnt...shab... but i just prefer the feel of something im used to as opposed to leather or vinyl.

If you want peace, prepare for war. If you want to win, hire me.....

Mafio

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:25 PM »
well, i'm using a tinted flak-vest.    But recentyl i've made  a vest for my second gam    consisting  out  of   artificial Leather, 10mm thick Foam-inlay and a inner sealing with just a colorsame cotton.

You have to think that  it is in fact just a custome.   So  later on  you will appreciate  a lesser weight. Besides  Flak-vest might give you trouble with your local laws.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!