Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I Hate Backpacks - Finally Complete!

• 139 Replies
Re: I Hate Backpacks
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I've come up with a possible way to make it actually hold things.

Do tell!  I'm working on using it for providing power and air to my helmet. 

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I'm sketching out now, If you can tell me what that big circular thing is, on the right top side with the antennae sticking out of it, Or what you plan to use it for, as it stumps me.

Retired MMCC: #1608
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:32 AM »
My best guess is that it is a missile launch system or a perhaps even a quiver of sorts.  Not really sure.  I don't know if McQuarrie even knew...

What I'm using is 4" pvc.  I happened to have some lying around from a previous home improvement project.  And, I forgot it had an end cap.  Score!  My other option wasn't looking to promising monetarily wise.  It won't like identical, but it will be close.  My next step is to use 3/4" or 1" pvc  for the outside "missile looking things".  

Here's the "quiver" as it is now.  It is cut to length and will be adding a sentra cover to it.

Bariikas Talgal

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Hmm, I guess that works. Now that you mention it, I could have it me a... Ammo storage compartement... and the top will pop off. Back to the drawing board for me. Oh and since I can't upload, here's how I thought about making the main part hold things. Picture it motly as a shield if you will. Then make it so that some way it'll lock into place, and you can easily remove it, and put as many things in there as you'd like.
After I posted it, I realized how hard it would be to come up with a possible object for that "quiver" So in my new sketch, I'm going to remove it totally.. making it more unique.
(My concept, might as well be called a marine pack from swg.)

« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2011, 03:20 AM »
Sounds good.  I think mine's going to be as close as possible but with my own spin on it.  It is definitely a good inspiration.  Now, had I decided to go with an actual McQuarrie Proto-Fett, then I definitely would.  And who knows, maybe someday I will.

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2011, 03:25 AM »
I'm waiting for a new program to finish installing on my Comp.. When it's done I'll take some screens and post them up here!

« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Sounds great!  I look forward to seeing your progress!

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Sounds great!  I look forward to seeing your progress!
Well, I got it installed and everything... This took me maybe 30 minuits to do... It's just a rough sketch. I used wood as the materials so that people would be able to determine the difference between the cover and the base.

When I finish the new one, I'll be sure to post it up here.
PS: Its a 3-D modeling program... I could make guns.. but probably not armor, due to the curve in it.

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2011, 06:19 PM by Tantos » Logged
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I like the idea.  Looks really good.  Thanks for posting it!

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:49 PM »
And here we go! Here is the one that I've spent my almost entire saturday working on!

Notice the three Tier drill holes. There'll be a mechanism that'll allow me to lock and I can just twist it. Also notice the glass with holes drilled into it. This'll allow the items on the bottom shelf (see below) to stay airated, while the top will be "vacuum" sealed.

Ok, So you've got the tank down at the bottom holding the oxygen or whatever, And then you've got the Top "thing" That will have tubing running from the oxygen pack, into there, and into my helmet
Also, The almost triangular thing at the bottom is to support the pack, keeping it more sturdy then just a plain square.

Ok, in this notice how well they fit together? The whole point of the shield is to cover all of the internal contents.

Hope this'll give you an idea as to how make it hold items! And if you can, lemme know what you think.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2011, 10:42 AM by Tantos » Logged
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:16 AM »
your pics in the above post don't work.... ???

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:59 AM »
your pics in the above post don't work.... ???
They work fine for me...  :-\

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:00 PM »
That's because I fixed the,/

Dralkote

• Tuo Silens Mors
« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2011, 04:22 PM »
This kit is amazing!  :o

I can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm going bookmark this. ^_^

« Reply #39 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:11 PM »
I bought my house around 8 years ago.  I bought it "as is".  In doing so, A LOT of junk was left on the property.  Its a nice piece of property and I am very happy in our nearly 100 year old farm house.  Well, as I was walking around looking for scrap metal, I came across this old Craftsman lawnmower.  And when I mean old, I mean....

OLD

Needless to say, I finally found my base for my back pack.  Tell me I'm wrong... YOU CAN'T!  It is exactly what I need.  Just some TLC, sanding, bondo, epoxy and voila my back pack!  Yes, it is still in the beginning, but my plans are finally coming to fruition! 

Here's some points of view for reference.

Whatcha think?!

Dralkote

• Tuo Silens Mors
« Reply #40 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Omg that's like a one in a million sort of thing!  :o
I can't wait to see it transformed!  ;D

« Reply #41 on: Apr 24, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Phase I has begun.  Sorry no pictures of this phase.  It's merely sanding down to make it smooth.  This is going to be a long process.  Using 60 grit to really knock it down.  Will be gradually working up to 250 and then priming.  Will take pictures prior to priming.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #42 on: Apr 24, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Look's like a nice base for a back pack or even a Jet . You might even be able to use some of the engine part's as greeblies .

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Looking good so far!

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Riya Morut

• Ree-yuh, not rye-uh. MAJIC 019
« Reply #44 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:19 AM »
Lucky!  That's a great find!

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

Fanfic found here:http://mercs.
« Reply #45 on: Apr 25, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Things are working progressively on this build.  I'm really only able to devote about 30 to 45 min a day on this as swing shift doesn't lend itself well to projects like this.  However, I have taken the plunge and did the main cut.  I wasn't sure, but after I did, I was happy.  I've added a couple of the greeblies I was able to scrounge up to give you an idea of the progress.  There will be more of course.  Lots of tubes and such. 

Feedback?

First cut!

Top shot with a few greeblies

Side shot for comparison

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #46 on: Apr 25, 2011, 04:21 PM »
What kind of plastic is that originally on the engine part? Make sure you get the right paint for that when you are ready for it. I'd hate to see all this work be ruined by flaky paint. :o

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond
« Reply #47 on: Apr 25, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I believe it is PVC.  And the first primer coat took pretty well.  I did that to see what needed more sanding to get it past the bumps of the plastic.  I'm confident it'll do very well!

After a side by side comparison to the McQuarrie pack, it looks as though I may need to move the tube over a bit more and make it even with the pack itself.  What do you think?

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 04:54 PM by MandalorianEwok » Logged

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Apr 25, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I probably missed it, but did you flip the design? The large tube on the MQ is on the right side and you have your on the left. But, yes I would agree that it could move over just a little. Not too much though, maybe 1".

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond
« Reply #49 on: Apr 25, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Yes, the design is flipped.  Basically, their was a crack on the right side and putting the tube their fixed that.  And, since it is only "based" on the McQuarrie, I wanted to keep it different enough.  And yeah, I think an inch would work.  Though it will bring it closer to the round opening.  Which, I do intend to cover.  Though I haven't figured out what yet.  Then again, the way this has been going, I'll probably find it at Goodwill or while cleaning my garage!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!