Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Legacy Bucket (final paint app page 8)

• 123 Replies

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
Re: Legacy Bucket
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:55 PM »
please do, ca'tal!

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Granted, it won't have the highly reflective look I'm sure is being sought here. However, Boba and Jango are often depicted in artwork as having a what could be called smoked mirrored look. Even in stills from the movies and costumers photo's you can see the effect at proper angles. So, the mirrored look may not neccesarily be a be all end all here... if one were to simply overlay a 1-2mm sheet of red acetate over a #5 or a smoked visor, a clearly visable red visor, that can't be seen through, would be achieved. It done similar effects with green, blue and pink and will be doing it again soon with yellow.

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:14 PM »
so much constructive discussion and it's all on topic..! *sniff*
I seriously appreciate all the thought hours and feedback you guys are putting into this.

progress wise I have trimmed about an inch all the way around the bottom edge, then trimmed another quarter inch from back to sides to increase the rake of the bucket. The bottom edge has been sanded so the bucket sits flat almost all the way around.
A square cutout was made inside the visor area to enable me to see out so I can check fit, proportions etc.
I left most of the Visor in place since I'm not done sanding, i really want the extra stability.
The flare of the bucket is kinda bugging me a bit, if there is a next time I'm not using the WoF templates.
Instead i'll be using a simple cardboard tube, cut at an angle to get the rake.

I'll finish sand tomorrow, then start work on the face and band.
I also need to cast a second RF embedded ear.

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Word on the tint...it's a no go. My buddy went to check the warehouse for it and it's "mysteriously missing".

“Morale is born of loyalty, patriotism, discipline, and efficiency, all of which breed confidence in self and in comrades…Morale is at one and the same time the strongest, and the most delicate of growths. It withstands shocks, even disasters of the battlefield, but can be destroyed utterly by favoritism, neglect, or injustice.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

My opinions are stated as my own. If you disagree with them feel free to disregard them. They are after all...opinions.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:44 PM »
C'est la vie...

well then I'll order some 20% red, mirrored gold and silver and see which one I like better.

on a different note, I took your advice Ca'Tal and sanded the bucket some more.
80 grit to knock down a slight swell on the mandibles, prep for adding the face.
220 two passes over all
600 grit dry pass, don't seem to have any 400
600 wet pass x2
1000 grit wet pass
pretty smooth now... going to pick up some of the red stuff on Thursday and fill in the other holes .
I was going to leave some of the imperfections for later weathering and damage but a bucket this smooth shouldn't have divots and stuff.

pics forth coming

Ghostwalker

« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:02 PM »
the bucket, forget if it was taken before or after sanding

comparison to a M-DSB Mercenary XL, if you can't tell which is which... well you won't need to cut out a visor, so you win.

sooo smooth i can't stop touching it.   :D

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:55 PM »
that is a big 'ol bucket!!!

Ghostwalker

« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:58 PM »
it honestly isn't that big, but the flare really adds to the size.
the visor lines up almost perfect with the M-DSB, the dome is more rounded and that makes it a bit taller.
however inside is enough room for fans, voice stuff, an R2 unit, a couple of battery packs and maybe a friendly Ewok.

ray'K

• cat# 0238
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:09 PM »
lolz

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Nice! That's a beast!

jinto

« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:49 PM »
please do, ca'tal!

Well i should have said red mirrored translucent vinyl (that is not opaque)
It would be better than tint

BIG GAME HUNTER

Ghostwalker

« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:41 AM »
did some more work.

-revised the right side of the visor as it drooped too low,
-added a bit more to the visor area to bring the bottom to 1" and the eye corners to 1/2"
-laid out two different mandibles, please let me know which one you feel looks better, green or blue.
-marked the headband all the way around
-marked the ears

as always everything is open to modification based on your input... so give me your 0.02 credits.

jinto

« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:48 AM »
Good ear placement,

Ihope thats not perminent marker, it will be a pain to paint over

BIG GAME HUNTER

Ghostwalker

« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:51 AM »
*cough sanding meet primer, primer meet sanding choke*
partially permanent marker, colors are dry-erase.
Incidentally dry-erase can be used to erase permanent marker.

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Ugly! I respect that. Looks good for now, keep your eye on that flair on the left side; it looks a bit more than the right. . .

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Ghostwalker

« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2011, 01:39 PM »
thats the camera angle, pretty certain of that.
but thank you for warning me, I'll measure things out again.

jinto

« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Yeah you cvan see the angle on the right side of the mystery helmet looks flaired so it has to be the camera

BIG GAME HUNTER

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Well i should have said red mirrored translucent vinyl (that is not opaque)
It would be better than tint

No such animal. Red mirrored vinyl only comes in opaque, no such thing as translucent mirrored red.

“Morale is born of loyalty, patriotism, discipline, and efficiency, all of which breed confidence in self and in comrades…Morale is at one and the same time the strongest, and the most delicate of growths. It withstands shocks, even disasters of the battlefield, but can be destroyed utterly by favoritism, neglect, or injustice.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

My opinions are stated as my own. If you disagree with them feel free to disregard them. They are after all...opinions.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:43 PM »
picked up some full sheet 400, 600 and 1000 grit \(^.^/) yay
and some two part Bondo Spot and Glazing putty... this bucket is about to be rocked.

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:53 PM »
See?
Sanding is your friend.
A smooth bucket is a happy bucket.
A happy bucket will make you stronger, faster, and smell better.
When you smell better money will fall from the sky, and beer will instantly appear at your very thought...

Ok, that might be stretching it, but making a bucket smooth and nice really is a good thing.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ghostwalker

« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:31 PM »
oh yeah, I was fingering my bucket all night... it's so slippery and smooth...

jinto

« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:32 PM »
No such animal. Red mirrored vinyl only comes in opaque, no such thing as translucent mirrored red.
Im afraid ill have to disagre on that ; i did a sign writing aprentiship and i m almost positive that  translusent reflective vinyl exists
how ever this product may not be avalible in the stsates it is here ,
im going past my old employer ill see if i can grab some to prove my point  ;)

BIG GAME HUNTER

Ghostwalker

« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:47 PM »
modded the visor and cut most of it out.
the face prototypes rubbed off in the last round of wet sanding after I glazed the vast majority of the imperfections.
doesn't really matter since I only got one reply to my question so I'm going to redraw the green one a bit different and try again.

for today and tomorrow please let me know what you think of the new visor, specifically the eye corners.
leave them pinched like this or widen and square them like I had in the previous picture?

the field of vision is unbelievable, I am infact wearing the bucket RIGHT NOW and I don't think I'm going to take it off for awhile.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #48 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:39 AM »
I vote for just that *tiny* bit square, if only for the simple fact that doing such a sharp corner is not fun at all. Even if you only go to half of what your drawn guides are, i reckon that'd be easier.

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:17 AM »
it does look like an amazing field of vision. Coming along!

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!