Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Chro's new vest and flightsuit

• 2 Replies

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Chro's new vest and flightsuit
« on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:35 PM »
With the recent CRL changes, I decided to join the flightsuit mob and lose my grey ACU set. I got a black flight suit that fit first try and decided to make a new vest and soft accessories to fit with it better.

For the vest, I went with a simpler cut design than my old one. Basically it'll have two flat front and back sections with thick velcro/elastic banding making up the sides.

Used a t-shirt to get the basic size right:

I like to use the quilted stuff, I like the texture and it bulks me out a bit. I also added a bit of fiberglass mesh to it for detail and to break up the pattern a bit when I wear it.

Underneath it, I made a kind of mesh t-shirt, both to add a color other than black, and to be a sort of ballistic weave or energy ablation mesh...web...thing.

I'll get some pictures of it all on once I finish the vest sometime this week.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Chro's new vest and flightsuit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Very interested to see how this mesh t-shirt turns out.  ;)

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Chro's new vest and flightsuit
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Finally got some decent pictures after I finished everything:
With the new pattern, the vest hugs much closer now, both making me look good and giving the armor less jiggle room.

Biggest upgrade for the vest was the larger velcro panels. Never, ever skimp on the velcro.

The vest came out nice. It could use a little touching up, I think, but does the job I was looking for.

After my first try at getting it off, I found I needed a closure at the back, so more velcro.

And here's how everything looks almost completely put together. I don't have the boots, spats, or gloves on.

Lucky for me, the flightsuit I ordered fit first try, no alterations or anything. I liked working with the mesh, I may use it elsewhere for embellishment. Biggest tip is that it has next to zero stretch, so what you cut is what you get. Secondly is that you can see every stitch unless you use something else alongside the mesh for looks or reinforcement.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!