Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Giving Kamas a Sense of Weight

• 21 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Giving Kamas a Sense of Weight
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Stopped at Walmart on my way home... it's up to $7.97 a yard these days. The fabric is called "Fashion Leather Nubuck". the one I use is the "Faux Aligator".  No luck on an internet link to see it though.

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2011, 01:59 AM »
Or try using canvas: it's a thick enough material that it will have weight, but still flow, and will provide some actual protection. ;)

Mafio

« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Well its  SW.  Its the Future... or not...

We dont know how thin protective clothing will be in times of Hyperspacetravel and Plasmaweapons.  ;D

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:19 AM »
That's certainly true.  But for costuming purposes, thicker looks more realistic.  Plus, I don't want my kama (if I decide to make one) to bunch up of look weird while I'm wearing it.

On another note, I found an old leather jacket that doesn't fit anyone in my family, so it may find itself repurposed.  Hooray!

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Well its  SW.  Its the Future... or not...

We dont know how thin protective clothing will be in times of Hyperspacetravel and Plasmaweapons.  ;D
True, but most protective clothing of the kama-nature seems to looks thick even in TCW and in comics. In fact, reading the RC series, they often use leather as the kama material.

You could think of something like armor-weave, which is like a thick, semi-stiff cloth. Dooku's cloths are actually armor-weave. At least his cape is.

Ijaat Meerel

« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:59 PM »
something i might suggest is getting something that has some weight to it but not much then lining the edge of it with a thin strip of leather. i did this on mine and gives it a look of being heavy duty while still being light and having a good flow.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:17 PM »
To Chro:  Interesting.  Does the quilted inside make it too stiff?

Sorry for the late reply, but the quilted fabric actually isn't very thick or stiff at all. It's a light fabric that's been attached to some batting in a quilted pattern. It remains pretty light, so the suede outer matches well.

Here's one of the patterns I use: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_10101962a

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!