Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Possible Flak Vest Alternatives?

• 10 Replies

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Possible Flak Vest Alternatives?
« on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:17 PM »
 I am looking at this Spandex long sleeve I had ffrom my High school years. I also had this cotton vest I used to wear all the time, I'll give photos on what they look like.

For the spandex shirt, I just cut the sleeves to where they are just above my biceps, The logo on my chest I can scratch off...What I like about this one is that its tight, and its very simple. The only downside i am noticing is that its collar is not high enough to hide my neck.

The Vest, What I like about this one is that its high enough to hide my neck, but a few problems, the first is the zipper, how can I hide it? The other is that is not tight enough to hug me like the Spandex. Since its cotton, I can get hot really fast depeding on weather conditions. My biggest worry is how am I going to place the Diamond armor piece over the zipper?

I would appreciate it alot if I can recieve some Advice on what sounds better, and what can I do...My dearest apologies for the crappy photos...

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2011, 11:59 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Possible Flak Vest Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:25 PM »
The pic is too grainy to make out the vest mate , take a better one  ;) It looks like a body warmer from here .

Jacad Moonstar

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:34 PM »
The pic is too grainy to make out the vest mate , take a better one  ;) It looks like a body warmer from here .
Fixed

MVS Founder

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:41 PM »
LOL , You look scared in the pic  ;D, First off you might want to hide or dye the zip line , Then add a flap for the shoulder bell's ,Also its just a tad long for a vest , once you get a girth belt (or similar) you will see , Hope this helps  ;D

Tal Greyheed

• I have an Anvil
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Your going to want to have a (relatively) heavy material for your vest (usually leather, faux leather, vinyl, or heavy canvas)  Not only to give it a durable look but also because it has to carry the weight of the plates.

Spandex and most cottons will tend to sag once the plates are put on, so I would personally recommend against them.

The guidelines also restrict against T--censored- being used as flak vests, which I'm fairly sure the spandex will fall under. Also, its hard to tell from the picture, but if the vest is fleece (since thats pretty much the only material I've seen those made out of), then I would say pass on it. Although I don't think its against the rules, per se, It would have to be integrated into the kit properly so that it doesn't stick out. 

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Yeah, you'd be best to pass on both of those.

Check out the no sew flak vest tutorial.

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Your going to want to have a (relatively) heavy material for your vest (usually leather, faux leather, vinyl, or heavy canvas)  Not only to give it a durable look but also because it has to carry the weight of the plates.

Spandex and most cottons will tend to sag once the plates are put on, so I would personally recommend against them.

The guidelines also restrict against T--censored- being used as flak vests, which I'm fairly sure the spandex will fall under. Also, its hard to tell from the picture, but if the vest is fleece (since thats pretty much the only material I've seen those made out of), then I would say pass on it. Although I don't think its against the rules, per se, It would have to be integrated into the kit properly so that it doesn't stick out. 
I understand, however my finanical situation at the moment is casuing to find whatever materials are laying about at my house.

This alternatives are just temporary subsitutes before i can get my hands on a better material...

MVS Founder

Tal Greyheed

• I have an Anvil
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Be sure to check clearance bins in fabric stores like Joannes. I got the vinyl for my vest for about $3, and there was enough to make two if I wanted.

Vash Bastra

• formerly newbeskargam
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I made my vest from a leather jacket purchased at a thrift store. I think it cost me less than $5 and there's plenty of leftover leather for whatever else I can think of, i.e. strapping, loin-cloth, pouches.

The trick isn't hiding from your prey
The trick is not needing to.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2011, 02:52 AM »
try Bobamaker, the flakjackets are pretty good 

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:18 AM »
If he's on limited funds and low budget... BobaMaker is out of the question for him.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!