Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Stubborn Townsend's Softparts WIP

• 34 Replies

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Stubborn Townsend's Softparts WIP
« on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Starting with the boots (easiest to weather  :P

New

Weathered (80grit sandpaper and a muddy back yard)

I may stone wash em later, but for now I'm callin em doneski.
Next up will be the flight suit!!!

Venku Cuyir

• "But... It was so artistically done."
Re: Stubborn Townsend's Softparts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Wow! These look great!
I think i'm gonna steal your method here  :rolleyes:

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:55 AM »
After sanding and getting NOWHERE with the flightsuit, I think the best method for weathering is just going to be work on everything else while wearing it. I'll post some pics later on down the line but here it is out of the box.

Besides just wearing it, I may go kick it around the backyard a bit and stonewash it when I do the boots (If I end up doing that) Still deciding wether or not I want to mix some bleach and water do discolor it in the high contact areas. Knowing me I could REALLY muck that up and ruin the suit...

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!!!

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Weather it in the areas like the knees (front and back), underarms, elbows (front and back).  Anywhere that would get roughed up or sweated on. :D

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Those are the parts that I sanded, and after kicking it around the backyard on my way to the garage, it picked up some dirt and dust and mud in those areas. It's started, and looks decent, but alot of that is going to wash out. I'm gonna work in it, and wash it minimally so the stains set in.

One question, is that stamped Xelement logo on the boots (you can see it on the outside of the heel) going to be a problem? I guess I could cover it with a bit of armor wrapped around the heel... Ideas?

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2011, 03:08 PM »
After screwing around in the garage for a few hours (while the Ad'ika napped) weathering is coming along nicely. I'll the dirt settle in and then wash/repeat. Probably wont post more on the flight suit till I start attaching armor to it.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Not sure on the boots.  Might have to get one of the approval team's input on that.  I mean, it's small enough it isn't too noticable...but then again, if you're not going to use the boots for anything else you could always fashion some different pieces of boot armor and glue them onto the boot with some goop or shoe goo.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2011, 12:10 PM »
The boots look good. Probably never would have known the logo was there if it hadn't been pointed out but now, it's going to glare at me everytime I see them lol. It does need to be covered. Sometimes you can actually sand the area gently by hand and make it disappear. Another option would be making a heel plate to attach.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011, 01:34 PM »
The boots look good. Probably never would have known the logo was there if it hadn't been pointed out but now, it's going to glare at me everytime I see them lol. It does need to be covered. Sometimes you can actually sand the area gently by hand and make it disappear. Another option would be making a heel plate to attach.

Thanks for takin a look A'den. Much appreciated. I'm planning on armoring the boots anyway, up the spats, and across the top of the foot, so a heel plate will fit nicely along the back too. With leather, what's a good way to attach plates? I'm using velcro with the rest of the armor, but it's all on canvas like material where I can sew in the velcro. Here... I'm kinda stuck. Any particular kind of glue work well. I'm hesitant to drill bolt holes into em, just for the sake of keeping them somewhat comfortable.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:17 PM »
I don't think I have any good up close pix of my boots but, I armored mine as well. I have a plates that goes around the front of the toe, another on the tops of the toes a large plate that goes over the top and sides of the foot and then a plate on the heel. For the heel plate I just cut the plate to match the existing stitched leather on the back of the boot.

For attaching, my plates are Chicago screwed right onto the boot.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Didn't even think about the chicago screw route. More than likely gonna go with that. cutting the armor to match the stitching was exactly my plan too.

Thanks for the input and advice, Tag and A'den!!

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2011, 11:13 AM »
ok so I'm back with a vengeance after my ENTIRELY too long deployment. I've tried to stay as busy as I can getting the kit ready so here we go!!

The vest is ready for armor to be attached. Just needs a little weathering with some sandpaper and some black paint.

The cape is weathered and ready. Ironically enough, the cape came from my old Jedi costume (the robe) so I'm calling it not only my cape, but a trophy  ;D

The flight suit I weathered a bit more by misting some brown in the armpits, collar, knees & elbows, thighs, and buttocks.

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2011, 12:50 PM »
 ;) I'm using those boots too.  What about concerns with any fastener(glue, screw, other)destroying the boot from wear and tear or making it too rigid for movement?  Couldn't a strap be attached to any plates?  Or is that against crl's?

Aliit orishya taldin.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2011, 04:31 PM »
I couldn't tell you off hand if straps would be against CRL's but I believe that if you DO use straps they need to be either inside boots or at the miniumum the same color so they don't stand out.

For my boots, I used chicago screws. The boots are actually pretty easy to drill holes into. Go with 1/4 inch screws and the plates will be nice and snug against the leather.

Just finished bolting the plates in, actually. These are my finished boots.

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 04:33 PM by Atin Oriyakyr » Logged

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:46 AM »
Nice!  I love em atin!  Mind if I skive your technique for my xelements?

Aliit orishya taldin.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Go for it brother!

« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Those boots are killer. And I really like the weathering on the flight suit. I will be referring to this thread when I start weathering for sure.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2011, 04:59 PM »
thank you!! Any questions, just ask!!!

scorch sesom

• Every thing is better with a fiery explosion!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2011, 12:45 PM »
everything is coming along nicely mind if i ask where you got your flight suit?i cant find any black ones in my area

Progress
armor: 90%painting
buy'ce: 100% completed
soft parts: 50% need to dye jump suit again
weapons: 0%still brain storming

Lie to me once shame on You
Lie to me twice and i will chase u with a base ball bat

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2011, 05:23 PM »
L.A. Police Gear. I don't know if they're still running it, but when I got mine it was on sale for $40. You can find all kinds of flight suits on Amazon too (how I found mine).
google is your friend, ner vod.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:34 PM »
ok, so I'm starting on my second kit, a ComMando, piece by piece.
The pauldron is about half done. Gotta attach the black shoulder piece to the armored pauldron, and get 2 or 3 magazine pouches.

Should have the flight suit weathered later today.

Gesai Primax

• Death becomes you
« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Lookin good! I love your weathering. Let's see more!

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Flight suit for my second kit has been weathered for a LONG time now, just finaly got around to snapping pics of it.

The pics kind of washed out the color here, but it's the same as my pauldron. Desert Tan.

« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2011, 09:52 PM »
have you considered maybe adding a plate across the toe section of the boots? I found these boots about a week ago and thought they would look amazing as armored mandalorian boots but I only thought of the shin place and a toe plate. the plate on the heel looks awesome!

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I was going to add a plate across the top of the toe, and I may still do it, but for now it's not real high on my list of stuff I'd like to do.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!