Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Are these ok for boots???

• 30 Replies
Are these ok for boots???
« on: Mar 18, 2011, 12:16 AM »
Are these ok and CRL approved because if so I'm going to buy them.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: Are these ok for boots???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Someone else here has similar boots. Buckles are fine.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Just be sure no logos are visable, but yes those are good to go.

Those who wander aren't always lost.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Happy day thanks

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2011, 09:17 PM »
goth hot topic boots do not equal star wars space warriors boots but ya they'll "do"

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2011, 09:33 PM »
goth hot topic boots do not equal star wars space warriors boots but ya they'll "do"
i get your point what would be your suggestion?? cause I'm having a hard time finding any star wars style boots

Dar'manda

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:04 PM »
its not a style, it's boots that you modify. plain black (since thats what you have above) work boots would work, lots of folks use those or even the treadsafe black shoes. boot covers, combat boots (modified). lots of things. covering regular old steel toed construction boots with boot armor and shin guards seemed to work just fine with me. you're gonna look like you're bondage mando with boots like the ones above.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:06 PM »
its not a style, it's boots that you modify. plain black (since thats what you have above) work boots would work, lots of folks use those or even the treadsafe black shoes. boot covers, combat boots (modified). lots of things. covering regular old steel toed construction boots with boot armor and shin guards seemed to work just fine with me. you're gonna look like you're bondage mando with boots like the ones above.
Do you have suggestions as far as boots go, and ya i get what your saying

Dar'manda

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Do you have suggestions as far as boots go

heh. no, thatd be my costume, not yours :P
jsut keep your eyes peeled at yard sales or flea markets or target/walmart for black boots or shoes you can put armor on and fix up to look like some face stompin mando boots. thats what costuming is, taking little bits and pieces from different places and putting them together in a way that makes it unfamiliar and science fiction looking.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:41 PM »
heh. no, thatd be my costume, not yours :P
jsut keep your eyes peeled at yard sales or flea markets or target/walmart for black boots or shoes you can put armor on and fix up to look like some face stompin mando boots. thats what costuming is, taking little bits and pieces from different places and putting them together in a way that makes it unfamiliar and science fiction looking.

point taken thanks a lot McCoy i appreciate the advice from such a huge inspiration, by the way i like the face stomping mando boots thats awesome.

Dar'manda

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:57 PM »

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2011, 03:47 AM »
I use boots similar to these but not as high , also they are hidden under the legs of my flightsuit . These boots arent cheap , i already had them just for wearing (not a goth) they cost me £160 = $259.81 at the current exchange rate ! and the ones in the pic would be more expensive than mines . You get dickies in the US , they do good and cheap  ;)

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2011, 11:18 AM »
I use boots similar to these but not as high , also they are hidden under the legs of my flightsuit . These boots arent cheap , i already had them just for wearing (not a goth) they cost me £160 = $259.81 at the current exchange rate ! and the ones in the pic would be more expensive than mines . You get dickies in the US , they do good and cheap  ;)

Ya they are on the pricey side thanks you Skirata

Dar'manda

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2011, 01:13 AM »
Another thing to consider with these boots (and actually this applies to a lot of other details of a suit) you have to mindful of something that seems unique and cool, and yet becomes common place.  The boots are very slick looking, but they are also relatively common place and readily available.  I've seen them before both on merc suits and goth and other costuming.  Considering that you'd have to mod them a bit to make them look a bit different, and I think they're kinda pricey (don't actually know the price) you'd probably be better off getting a more plain base 'engineer' type boot to use and/or mod with an armor plate or leather pad, etc.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Another thing to consider with these boots (and actually this applies to a lot of other details of a suit) you have to mindful of something that seems unique and cool, and yet becomes common place.  The boots are very slick looking, but they are also relatively common place and readily available.  I've seen them before both on merc suits and goth and other costuming.  Considering that you'd have to mod them a bit to make them look a bit different, and I think they're kinda pricey (don't actually know the price) you'd probably be better off getting a more plain base 'engineer' type boot to use and/or mod with an armor plate or leather pad, etc.
Ya i understand what your saying im just having problems finding unique boots but patience is something im just gonna have to embrace until i do find something truly unique thanks for the advice lonewolf

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I use "goth" style tall boots for my suit, however I only use them to tuck the pants in, not for the looks.  They are hidden from the front by the shin armor (and will be further hidden with clamshell-style shins). 

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:18 PM »
i found these today and im really liking them tell me what you think about them i like the look and i feel like if i did some good ol armor attaching they would lose that look of snow trooper

http://www.heroarmysurplus.com/canadian-military-issue-arctic-mukluks-used-p-1233.html

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2011, 12:12 PM »
i found these today and im really liking them tell me what you think about them i like the look and i feel like if i did some good ol armor attaching they would lose that look of snow trooper

Honestly? They're heavy boots and unless you keep the liners in, the barrel of the boot will droop, even with armour on it. If you were making a winter-armoured mando, then they'd be cool but otherwise I'd probably look elsewhere.

Oya!

Andry         ; )
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Honestly? They're heavy boots and unless you keep the liners in, the barrel of the boot will droop, even with armour on it. If you were making a winter-armoured mando, then they'd be cool but otherwise I'd probably look elsewhere.

thanks for the advice and ya im not making a winter mando so ill take your advice and look on

« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2011, 02:38 PM »
after finally going to ebay i may have found another possible pair these will probably be the ones i go with due to them not being too goth hot topic looking and still having a nice in universe feel and they appear to be easily armored  ;D

« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2011, 02:48 PM »
the first set you posted is what solus used for her newest build

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2011, 03:16 PM »
The first ones are fine if that's what you want. I have seen at least two Mercs with these boots. Paint the plates and they wouldn't be bad. Personally, I think they are too expensive for the look. A tall engineer or riding boot would be more comfortable and would just need some plates to look great. All you really save with these is adding plates to the front. And besides, there will almost always be some goth/vampire/emo kid at the con with the same boots (cuz they are extremely popular due to the cool metal plates).

Now...the last boots you showed are, in my opinion, great looking and I dig the style much better than the Demonia ones. A classic engineer boot with a jump boot toe and nice buckles/straps. Probably a bit cheaper, too. Slap some shin armor on those and you will have some seriously nice and in-universe-looking boots.

I still prefer motorcross boots, myself. But mainly because I like the latches on the sides and teh built-in "armor" on the feet. Definitely not the most comfortable and I really don't recommend them unless you just really like the look (and can find a pair as cheap as I managed to...cheap is good  ;D).

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Now...the last boots you showed are, in my opinion, great looking and I dig the style much better than the Demonia ones. A classic engineer boot with a jump boot toe and nice buckles/straps. Probably a bit cheaper, too. Slap some shin armor on those and you will have some seriously nice and in-universe-looking boots.

the funny thing is is i found the first ones when looking for something like the last haha, and i feel they look and feel the most swarzy, and yes WAY WAY WAY cheaper im pretty excited about the find especially since they carry them in my size (i wear a fourteen), and thanks for the support and help  ;D, IM stoked about these cetare!!!!!!!!!

Dar'manda

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:42 PM »
the most recent ones you posted are a much better choice over the others so far

« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2011, 07:29 PM »
the most recent ones you posted are a much better choice over the others so far

Indeed they are thanks for the support

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!