Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Comm Pack

• 6 Replies

Mah-Nu Oor

• Clan: Firaxan
Comm Pack
« on: Mar 22, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I have officially given up trying to mold the plastic to my back, i'm working alone, and i'm convinced my arms don't work like they should (lol).  So i decided to make a "communications pack".  I have the shad already put together.
Front view (DD cup there for some sort of refrence, lol)

Side view. 

I put a coat of fiberglass on roughly 40% of it, and have wires set aside (the pictures have random small greebs on it, but placement isn't final).
I just wanted to put this up here, and get some feed back on the basic shade, and see what you all think.

p.s. i know there is another comm pack on this thread, i wanted to refrence crtain things off of it, however, my work comp hates this site, and refuses to show any pictures posted on here, lol

M.A.J.I.C. Member # 53

Mah-Nu Oor

• Clan: Firaxan
Re: Comm Pack
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Alright so this is what i have in my mind as to what i would like it to look like.

The black represents the bottom most box will be able to open, and the green represents circut boards.
The red and black are Pos and Neg, while i have a wire nest at my house that will be attatched up top, with the wires going into the top box.  But i still may change it while i am able to, another idea was to have the bottom bocx more as a storage are, and have the upper half be the radio unit, that way it's not only tactical, but practical :).  Anyways thats how my plannin process is going at thispoint in time.  Still, don't hesitate to suggest anything  ;D

M.A.J.I.C. Member # 53

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Can't wait to see this transformation!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:40 PM »
My only concern with this design is that if you end up using too much modern electronics it will not look very in universe. If you look at the movies, especially the Original Trilogy, it is more of the 70's style tech. More blocky and basic, you don't see that much of printed circuit boards and integrated circuitry.
The other downside to modern tech is that most people will easily recognize it for what it is, ie. attaching a PCI card from your computer, a motherboard, sound card, etc. will be easily identifiable.

Keep in mind I don't want to come across putting down your ideas, since at this stage it's hard to truly get a sense of how much modern tech you'll be putting on the pack as opposed to greeblies.
Did you have any photos of the greeblies and components you planned on attaching? Would help get a better sense of how its appearance will end up being.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2011, 05:26 AM »
My only concern with this design is that if you end up using too much modern electronics it will not look very in universe. If you look at the movies, especially the Original Trilogy, it is more of the 70's style tech. More blocky and basic, you don't see that much of printed circuit boards and integrated circuitry.
The other downside to modern tech is that most people will easily recognize it for what it is, ie. attaching a PCI card from your computer, a motherboard, sound card, etc. will be easily identifiable.

Keep in mind I don't want to come across putting down your ideas, since at this stage it's hard to truly get a sense of how much modern tech you'll be putting on the pack as opposed to greeblies.
Did you have any photos of the greeblies and components you planned on attaching? Would help get a better sense of how its appearance will end up being.

I have to agree but also disagree. If you use a motherboard yes it is easily identible and I could probably tell what it is. But the concept of this is brilliant and a chip or mother board or something like that is very Sci Fi ish it gives it that certain look that says Look how much time i'm willing to spend ya know and it says my backpack/jetpack is futuristic so... that's just my thoughts on the subject.

Armor:

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Avoid anything with microprocessors on a silicon substrate board. (thats the green computery-board you find mobos and other stuff soldered to.

If you want something to look cool, AND star warsy, put some blinking LEDs on it, not computer hardware. Hardware isn't swarsy, and generally is too easily identifiable/ recognizably modern.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Avoid anything with microprocessors on a silicon substrate board. (thats the green computery-board you find mobos and other stuff soldered to.

If you want something to look cool, AND star warsy, put some blinking LEDs on it, not computer hardware. Hardware isn't swarsy, and generally is too easily identifiable/ recognizably modern.
I guess I see where you're coming from but still if he were to put some leds and stuff how about that next to ne and make them look connected I think that would be purty cool

Armor:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!