Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[I'm back!] Hasbro conversion. WIP (Pic heavy) Update 4/9/13

• 19 Replies
So I thought it was time to go ahead and start this thread. I wanted to get some work done before starting it so there was something to look at.

Brand new, just got it home. They currently have $5 off coupons on them BTW

Put together.

And trying it out. =D

From here I did a ton of cutting, and the removal of all the screws. Took me way longer than I expected. But I got it down and cleaned up as much as I could. I'm very happy with what came out of the work.

I got the resin, and the fiber cloth and went to town with it =D I basically followed the guide that Falin has laid out. I did however use some cloth on the top where he didn't I just want to make this thing as strong as possible. Around the sides and the back seams could use a little more work, going to touch them up with more resin when I glass the face together.

I then got my plastic "for sale" sign cut and hot glued into place on the cheek bone area. They appear to me even to me, I thought that would be terribly hard to get right, but I think I managed. Also got all the electronics covered up. I had planned to remove these, but I thought that it might take away from the weight too much. I like the way it feels with them in so I left them. They wont be active though as I don't want to bondo and paint over the battery chamber and let them corrode inside there.

The next step will be to attach the face and use the plumbers putty to shape the rest of the mask. Then I'll finish the glassing, and move onto the bondo. I haven't decided whether or not I want the RF attached to the helmet, or if I want it to be able to be removed. I think being able to remove it would be best for traveling with it. Are there any rules against this? If it doesn't work that way I will be sure to bondo it on as well. 

Comments and criticism appreciated =D
Any ideas you might have to make this stand out would be great too!

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2013, 08:43 PM by Larmos Vikarr » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Hasbro conversion. WIP (Pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Cool, have fun with it!

Dragon Sunkiller

• Always remember.... that way you never forget!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Looking great! I'll probably do this for my Montross build, especially if they're on sale.  ;D Keep up the awesome work!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2011, 11:43 PM »
I got the face plates mounted. I ran into a bit of trouble here, which I am hoping is fixable when I get the visor in place. If not we'll see.
But yeah, if you notice the check on the right in the pictures appears to be longer than the one on the left. This isn't the case, the angle a the piece got glued on is slightly different. I think this might be what happened in Falin's original one where people were saying one side was longer, it just seems longer because of this. Hopefully I can manage to fix this when I get the visor on, hopefully without chipping paint or glass.

Here's where it is for tonight though.

I was planning to put the plumbers putty on tonight, but I might not. Either way, new update to come tomorrow most likely.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:12 AM »
loving this build. :)

ZURROK vII
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:20 AM »
loving this build. :)

Clearly I cant take credit for it =D
Falin laid all these plans out for me, I'm just following it so that I can get a bucket worthy of the club. I did go ahead and get the puddy on, needs to be sanded to get the right look like the rest of the cheek. More glassing in the morning it looks like.

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011, 12:15 PM by Larmos Vikarr » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2011, 06:09 AM »
well still its Looking Very well done  :)

ZURROK vII

Mah-Nu Oor

• Clan: Firaxan
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Nice, definatly looking good.  I can tell this will be a great bucket when you get finished

M.A.J.I.C. Member # 53
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Took yesterday off due to a busy schedule. Got the glassing done on the cheeks this morning, also reinforced a few spots that I had noticed needed a little extra.

More pictures of the update to come tonight, after both jobs and some homework =D

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011, 01:42 PM »
So I promised an update days and days ago. Sorry about that. I still have the images from back then though so here they are.

First up is a couple images of the mask with the putty on.

I didn't really get the full effect I wanted out of this. It's definitely a good based for finishing up the mask, but the shape I got out of it wasn't quite what I wanted so I'm reshaping with bondo.

And next we have the glassed face.

I believe I had forgotten to take these when I finished and this is before I started bondo.

As for bondo though, I have started. The stuff hardens a lot faster than I expected and had only gotten the seem and part of the dent covered when it became too hard to work with. I've sanded this down to where I think it is good and put some more on last night but haven't sanded it yet. I'm expecting to maybe have to put one more round of bondo down before I can move on. I got the bondo on the mask where I wanted, but I think the right side might still need a bit more to get the full shape.

I hope to have more for you all tonight, but can't promise anything as last time I said I would I waited nearly a week or more to update.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2011, 02:12 AM »
Here are those images I wanted to share =D first up is my first bondo application sanded down to where I think it should be done along the seem. I guess we'll see when it gets hit with primer though.

Here's the dent, I put about 6 small anchor holed in it before the bondo went in. As I said, the stuff got hard on me faster than expected, so its not entirely filled in. I forgot about it on my second application as well >.<

And here are the ear caps. As you can see by this first image I don't plan on leaving the buttons visible. I've going to attempt to fill the cracks around them so it comes out smooth, but I'm not sure it's going to work. All else fails I still have the for sale sign around. On the second image here I have a few questions that maybe Falin can answer for me. I don't believe on your build you filled the speaker holes, but you let the paint do that for you. I thought I'd go ahead and fill them while I had the bondo out though. As for the screw hole inside the center of the cap though, how did you manage to fill this and leave the ridge down the center? That ridge also dips down a bit further at the top than the rest of it where the speaker is, I'm unsure as to how to fix this, and get both parts sanded down properly. Did you just use the rotary to get in there?

Last I have the face. It will need a bit more on the left cheek I think to get the ridge to come down the same on both sides, but some light sanding on the right side and I think it should look great as far as shape goes.

I will likely get to sanding this second application tomorrow night. I ended up going out and getting the mouse sander after reading through another helmet WIP. The bondo work I had seen had me a bit scared, and and sanding was driving me nuts.

If this build comes out as nice as I'm hoping for I have two buddies that are wanting me to build them up for them, which honestly I'm excited about. This build thus far as been fun for me. And for my first helmet I'm happy with my results.

I'm open to all comments and critiques. I want this to come out nice so any information you might have to help me out would be great!

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011, 02:53 AM by Larmos Vikarr » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Hasbro conversion. WIP (Pic heavy) Update 4/13
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2011, 02:58 PM »
TBH, I can't remember! LOL. I think left it open (which is what I honestly think I did so that batteries and electronics could be reached). For filling it, I would actually use more of the 2 part plumbing epoxy. You can easily smooth it as you apply it with your finger so no sanding is needed.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2011, 03:07 PM »
As far as the buttons go, I ground them smooth, then bondo'd over them.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Both great ideas. I rally should have though of using the putty as it will be much easier to get in there. The bondo is hard to mess with for tiny details like this.

I'm hoping that the bondo will fill the button rings, if not I'll do some more sanding and rebondo again. I think I already have to pull the bondo out again anyway so we'll see.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!