Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My soft parts WIP

• 4 Replies
My soft parts WIP
« on: Apr 13, 2011, 03:10 AM »
Yet another WIP for everyone to look at =D

So I don't have a whole lot to show as of now, but I did pick up my "flight suit" a while back and do some work on it. Here it is.

It's very green, and I hate that >.< but it fit, so for 11 bucks I had to take it. Since it is so green I had planned on dying it, so I got to work the next afternoon. Going for black to fit in better with my color scheme, which is currently planned for black, dark blue, some sliver, and some darker orange to set it off. Buddy of mine is drawing up a mando for me to color in, hopefully I can get my colors planned out a bit better.

I used more dye than suggested, and left it in longer than suggested. Rinsed it out, and let it drip dry. It's a whole lot darker now, but it's still very green. (I thought I had a picture, but I don't currently, it shows best in day light so I'll get one tomorrow) I used the rit dye you get at walmart. Can anyone suggest something that might work better for me? Also, this is a short sleeve as you can see. Should I be looking to attach sleeves? Is it acceptable to have my arms showing and have my gaunts covering my fore arms? I think it might be neat to have the sleeveless look, but I do want this to be acceptable, what do you think?

As for my vest I'm still juggling a few ideas about it. I have another merc kind of close who offered to help me out, but it will be a while before I can make it up there. I have a friend who may be able to help me out by following the templates we have here and on tdh. And then theres always using the no sew guide. I haven't decided yet, but I have time as I don't plan to have this ready until SDCC.

Boots I'm struggling to find anything for. I want to stay on the cheap side of things here, so I've been watching the thrift stores around here. I'm also planning to make this an assassin set up, so I'm looking for boots either without laces, or with very easily hidden laces to cut back on armor. We'll see what I can get.

I have found a pair of gloves at wally world that have a very easily removable logo on them that I like for this kit. They are fingerless workout gloves that they are selling for 5 bucks. I think the fingerless would go well with the short sleeve flight suit, but again, only if this is acceptable.

I do plan to have a belt, but haven't found anything to my liking yet. Again, I'm kind of on a budget for this build, but plan to upgrade things once I get it built as money comes in. Any suggestions here would be great.

I think that about covers my soft part list for the time being, seeing as I plan to have this as an assassin build so I wont have a kama or cape. Is there anything I'm missing that you all would suggest?

I'm looking for any input here good or bad, just let me know what you think! =D More to come as I get stuff done.

Huginn Senaar

• Get better, one day at a time!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: My soft parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Heya vod, looks like you're off to a promising start. I'm no expert with the CRLs but I immediately think of montross if you're going go try and sport shorter sleeves, it might work for you. The other thing to consider is alot of costumes i.e. Jango have a long sleeve and a short sleeve (they'll tuck the tubes for their flamethrower into the short sleeve). So it could work out too if you find a long sleeve shirt to wear under the flightsuit as well.
Keep hitting up those thrift shops! ;)

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2011, 02:18 PM »
If you used Rit Dye, the directions help out with your question.  What may have worked better is to use their color remover.  This would have basically made the dark green a very light green.  Then by adding the black, you would have substantially darkened it.  The problem with black or very dark colors is you need VERY HOT water... boiling if possible.  This helps a ton. 

Also, something you need to consider is the color wheel or color charts.  When mixing black with any color, you very rarely will get black.  (That's why it is suggested you try and remove all color.) 

Here's an example:
Green + Black = Dark Green
Brown + Black = Dark Brown

Green + White = Light Green
etc...

You get the picture.

I'll give my own personal example.  I had green coveralls with a brown hue to them.  I dyed them once in dark brown dye and came out with a brownish green color.  (I'm sure there's a name for that, but I'm not that well versed in colors.  Being a guy and all.)  Anyhoo, a second dying in dark brown, I get the exact color I am looking for. 

So, you could always try another bath in black, or perhaps a few more until you get it to black.  Just remember to use boiling water and don't forget to add the salt!  (It helps to get it to set.)

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress!

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Yeah I did read the directions. I used the salt, and the hottest water I could get out of the shower. Issue with boiling water is I'm using a plastic container to do this in and am afraid that would melt through it. My plan was to redye it a few times to see if I can get it darker, just had read some bad things about rit dye so thought maybe there was something better I could use. I think I'll try and find a metal container big enough that someone will let me use, and a large stick to keep it moving.

Thanks for the advice.

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2011, 03:22 PM »
If the plastic container you are using is a trash can or bucket, don't worry about the boiling water melting through. I do it all the time in a cheap trash can I got from wally world with no problems.

Short sleaves...not a big fan. I've seen it done and pulled off well, but most just don't look right to me. Easiest fix would be to find a long sleeve shirt as close to the same color as you can and wear it underneath. Go for a summer weight shirt or you will just melt. You can also cut much of the shirt away as all you need is enough to hold the sleeves together and up on your arms. If you can sew (or know someone that can), you can just take the sleeves off the shirt and sew them inside the coveralls for the completed Boba look.

Boots...think comfy and sturdy. If you plan to cover teh shins and tops of feet with plates, don't worry so much with finding boots without laces. You'll cover them up anyway. If you aren't planning shin/feet armor (and personally, I think armor looks like it's missing something without some kind of lower leg armor...but that's just me), use just about any leather boot that either comes up high enough to tuck the pant legs into or ones that you can add spats to and go Boba style.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!