Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to make a simple girth belt

• 17 Replies

Rav Sta'is

• Sandhawks - Australia
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions.
How to make a simple girth belt
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:38 PM »
I was recently asked to describe how I made my girth belt so I thought I'd post this here for anyone who is potentially interested.

A girth belt has the potential to add a little something to your flight suite, breaking up any solid colors and giving a textured complexity that in my opinion is very mandalorian.  In other words, they look good.

But they can also add a little functionality and help hold things together.

I made the following in a bit of a hurry, but shows a simple DIY girth belt.

Basically I used about 20metres of cotton window sash cord (at least thats what its known as in Australia) and died this to the desired colour, and let it dry.

Once the cord has dried it would have shrunk a little, you MUST stretch it otherwise it will stretch too much when you wear it and become too loose.

I then made two ends out of faux leather folded over (which is easy to pass through a sewing machine) and attached velcro

Laying the two ends out along a ruler at the designed length (to sit on your hips) I hot melt gun gunned one side to one end, then turned the cord back and glued the other.  When the lot was finished I closed the faux leather over with more glue. 

Im really surprised just how well this technique worked and its nice and cheap to do,

This is the finished product

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: How to make a simple girth belt
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:37 PM »
NIce work. Looks really good!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Nice , but you should make a step by step Tutorial of this . Im still in favour of a LIKE button on here !  ;D

Rav Sta'is

• Sandhawks - Australia
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:31 PM »
I did take photos as i made it, but just need to find it. So i will update the original thread with the details

Basically its very simple to do. And if you removed the velcro in place of snap lock press studs, then no sewing is really necessary. because the glue sticks really really well the the cord and the the fabric inner of the faux leather.

I have volunteered to make another, yellow one for one of aussie mandos so if i cant find the pics i will take them again.

Rav

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I never thought about sash cord , I worked in an Ironmongers and we sold the stuff too LOL . Great stuff , this will help plenty of folk including me  ;D Thank's .

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:23 AM »
Makes me wish I could wear girth belts just so I'd have an excuse to make one. Looks really good. ^-^

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Rav Sta'is

• Sandhawks - Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 02:26 AM »
Makes me wish I could wear girth belts just so I'd have an excuse to make one. Looks really good. ^-^

Why couldnt you wear one? Is there a type of mando that isnt allowed to have them? Im still learning some of this stuff.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54 AM »
Oh, no. It's just that I have such a short torso I can't make one fit right while also having an ab plate that doesn't look ridiculously tiny with my chest plates. *chuckle* I'm curvy, just not lucky enough to also have a torso long enough to not look kinda squished if I put too much on my mid section. *sigh* Though I'm kind of tempted to figure out some way to get a girth belt to work eventually; I really do like the way this looks and sounds like something I'd whip up which is always enough to prod me into trying it.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Rav Sta'is

• Sandhawks - Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:43 AM »
Im curvy too, but also pretty tall

I kinda found that i needed it to make all the bits hang together properly. I then have my belt hang loosely on my hips and girth belt is nice and snug.  What happens is the ropes of the girth belt stretch to shape to your body which is kinda nice.

So perhaps make a thinner one with maybe fewer the ropes?  It doesnt cost much to make, i think the fabric dye was the most expensive, but just remember to get cotton cord from your hardware store and not a blend as the blended or synthetic versions may not dye as required.

Rav

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47 AM »
nicely done

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Mav runi

• "Judge me by my size, do you?"
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2013, 10:45 PM »
is it possible to do something like this with polypropylene rope? I bought some on an impulse to attempt a simple one, but i'm not sure if it will work the same.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-16-Polypropylene-Twisted-Rope/16879724

I got it in blue that i can try to dirty up later.

Mav'runi's WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43880.0
MMCC - 0765  M5 - #4 EMTS - #096 MLCS#13

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Cotton is normally used because it can take coloring quite well.  Yours may work as long as it's 

1.) already the right color
2.) can be stitched fairly easily

If that's the case, go for it!   ;)

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Mav runi

• "Judge me by my size, do you?"
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2013, 05:01 PM »
It's about the right shade of blue, but just trying to knot the end of it was difficult. For sewing, we'll see about that. Where did you get the cord used in the example?

Mav'runi's WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43880.0
MMCC - 0765  M5 - #4 EMTS - #096 MLCS#13

Shammok

• Aka by unfortunate auto correct accident: Shannon
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Can someone link where I can buy the cord from? An what's it called in the states

JANGO FETT
I'll accept your offer, Tyranus. On one condition...
    COUNT DOOKU
Which is?
    JANGO FETT
I want the first clone for myself, unaltered.
    COUNT DOOKU
Might I inquire as to why?
    JANGO FETT
You might...

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2013, 01:49 PM »
have you tried looking for cord on ebay ?

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Can someone link where I can buy the cord from? An what's it called in the states
It is called the same thing here, window sash cord. A quick Google search shows it available at amazon and several other online places.

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Jaon Goraar

• Ge'hutuun
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Great Tutorial!
Will be really helpful in my upcoming build.
Thanks!
+1

~Jaon Goraar~

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:10 PM »
HI Rav,

Great tutorial.

if you had to say how much this would have cost would an estimate of $25 dollars be accurate?

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Papa.
PROGRESS:
Armour WIP - local APPROVED.
Argen Tium Beast Tamer WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!