Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ohld Vart's Legacy Mando FREE patterns thread

• 128 Replies

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Ohld Vart's Legacy Mando FREE patterns thread
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:44 PM »
OHL'D VART'S CUSTOM LEGACY PATTERNS

I'm putting these here, at the front of the thread, so they can be found easier. These are for a person my size (6 feet, 230-250 lbs), so they may have to be scaled down for printing, OR you can check back periodically for updates, as I made a set of smaller plates for Drake (5 feet 11 inches, 130-140 lbs.), and will also make them available here.

Please bear with me as I find time in my new work schedule to convert these to PDF format...I promise they will all be done, eventually!  ;D

Here's the complete V.1 set, minus the codpiece, gaunts, and rear shin armor; I haven't had time to finish the designs for those yet, but they will be coming. I may even tackle a Legacy-style helmet at some point....I'm still mulling that over.  ;)

LARGER (ALMOST) COMPLETE SET V.1
(no cod)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ip8eietmzazx1nl

SMALLER (ALMOST) COMPLETE SET V.1 (Drake size)...for those Mercs not as...uh..."substantial", as I am.... :P

http://www.mediafire.com/?lj49zcw7ylcuk7a

At the very least, it is a starting point for those folks who want a Legacy design that is different.  :)

_________________________________________________ ____________

(original thread post)

OK, here goes nothin'....I figured I'd go ahead and get started on a Legacy WIP thread, so I'll have a place to dump my stuff.  ;)

To start, it will be an "idea storage" thread...a place to post my drawings, doodles, sketches, etc, etc, as I begin on the research aspect of this new kit. A lot of these are just 'thinking-out-loud' exercises, as I haven't settled on an exact design as of yet. I'm using the available canon references and pics of the armor of completed Legacy members to work out the final details, so a lot of this stuff is likely to change in the future until I settle on a final design. Some of it might seem a bit far-fetched and silly, too, but it's just my strange mind at work...no need to be worried.  :D

So, bear with me.  :)

First, here's a 4 minute sketch I threw together the other day, while waiting in the car at the mall for my wife to shop....keep in mind the proportions are a bit off (top-heavy torso, arms too long, too short and not fat enough to be me, etc), but I'm not used to drawing in a car seat behind a steering wheel, and I really wanted to get some ideas on paper.  :D

He ended up looking a bit like a cross between a lobster and a medieval knight....I'm going to tone some of the segmentation down, but I'm intrigued by the lorica segmentata concept; I'll be retaining this general idea in the final kit.

I'm also working on the full-size patterns in AutoCad; I converted the Legacy pdf templates into images I could bring in as scaled polylines. More on that later.

I've already started a new helmet project; I just didn't know which direction to take it, until I became interested in the Legacy armor....now I think I can modify it to work with the new kit, and look more "Legacy" (gotta trim down that front 'beard', for one thing....).

More stuff to come....

Rob

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 05:58 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged
Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Ohld Vart's Legacy Mando WIP thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I look forward to seeing where you go with this ;D. Personally, I'd lose, or reduce, the downward stabbing  nose-guard looking thing on the helmet. While it serves practical historical purpose, for a mando kit I think it suggests a little too much of a real-world armor look, plus it'll wreak havoc with your visibility.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:02 PM »
I love the way this is going! I must see more, Ohld! 

The Spanner demands it!

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Thanks, guys!  :)

Yeah, after test-fitting that bucket, I found I couldn't turn my head at all! I like the longer face, but that point just ain't gonna cut it...it's going to have to be cut down a bit, and the visor made more "Legacy-like"....

More doodles....

Rob

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Yay Doodles!

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Thanks, guys!  :)

Yeah, after test-fitting that bucket, I found I couldn't turn my head at all! I like the longer face, but that point just ain't gonna cut it...it's going to have to be cut down a bit, and the visor made more "Legacy-like"....

Rob

You think!?! :o

Holy crap that was a long visor!

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:51 PM »
What, looks fine to me!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:29 PM »

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Damn thing makes me look like a Snow Trooper.... ;D

Rob

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:34 AM »
I like where Really Ohl'd Vart is going!

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 02:51 AM »
I love that! Even if you took the original too long one and cut it to normal Fett length, the shape of the visor and the earcaps appeals to me.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'm going to keep the chin point, just shorten it up a little.  :)

I've got to be careful where I go with these ideas, because as a former English outlaw SCA'er, I tend to lean toward medieval designs, and I don't want a cross-over or themed kit...case in point, here some of the original design sketches for the helmet:

As you can see, I was leaning towards the Celtic/Robin Hood themes in a themed armor set; some of these design elements actually ended up in my current kit, so I'll be content to keep it as-is....I'm going to transform my thinking for this new armor more in-line with Legacy (with maybe just a touch of medieval....)  :)

Rob

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:47 PM »
looks like fail...lol

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 03:57 PM »
looks like fail...lol

Tell me about it....but, it was just thinking, with a pencil.... ;)
Rob

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Some of the more medieval'er ones look like they could easily fly for a late-era Crusader, but I definitely think a little less medieval for Legacy. Out of the sketches, the one I like best is on the left of the third pic/page, the one with the sort of bearded look and twin antennae/RF thing-things. Also, I kind of like the idea of taking some influence from Segmentata for the armor. I'd say go with straps and buckles though, instead of the traditional laces, just so that it looks less cross-over'y.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Thanks, Slade...I'm going to work on some more detail sketches, and flesh out the segmented torso with buckle closures.

Speaking of sketches, here's the last of the doodles I was fooling around with earlier this year....

Rob

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53 AM »
what's that thing next to the figure in the second pic?
is that......
a cane handle?!!!!
lol

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:25 AM »
what's that thing next to the figure in the second pic?
is that......
a cane handle?!!!!
lol
Probably, I think he's still trying to work on his thruster chair....lmao

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Well we do call him "Old Fart"

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Dammit, men....that's a "thruster walker"!  ;D

Nah...it was a sketch for a Swarzy long bow weapon.... ;)

Rob

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Really nice concepts ner'vod , Auld Fart is a bit harsh .  ;D Im no that far behind ye LOL .

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Really nice concepts ner'vod , Auld Fart is a bit harsh .  ;D Im no that far behind ye LOL .
I'm sure he'll set up a WIP for the thruster walker for you too Kel....lol

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I'm sure he'll set up a WIP for the thruster walker for you too Kel....lol

LOL , Im only 3 years older than you ner'vod . The "Aul Yin" is 7 yrs aulder ! LMAO .

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 06:37 PM »
LMAO... who do you think would be using the WIP of the Thruster walker after you?....lmao

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 06:52 PM »
I absolutely REFUSE to let you know how much older I am!   >:(

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!