Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Drake's Legacy Mando WIP thread

• 323 Replies

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Drake's Legacy Mando WIP thread
« Reply #25 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:05 PM »
And I'm here too now.

Okay as always I'm gonna start with what I don't like and then get into the meat of the thing later.

- The crease of the collar doesn't seem to match the crease of the AB plates
- The pauldrons could stand being a little tighter together, they look a bit... splayed out.

Ah but I do like the torso armor alot! wish I was skinny enough to rock that and no mistake.
I was a bit concerned about the cupped look in the head on but the side shot cleared my apprehensions... well done!
The backplate I'm still not exactly a fan of but it does fit the look You guys went after.

And on to the constructive part, which is a bit slim at the moment.
I think the pauldrons would look better if the top and middle on were longer to close more of the gaps in between the layers.

Last but not least, I look forward to seeing what you two will pull out of the trick box next.

The collar was meant to be fastened to the chest pieces to somewhat resemble the construction of a Clone Trooper or TK chest piece; I was going for a bulky 3-D effect (as I am not as ripped as I would like at this point).

The pauldrons will be connected with a strap much like the ab section will be. This will pull them together and eliminate that gap you see.

The back will most likely have a backpack or something of that sort. I haven't decided yet.

As for your final statement about the trick box: "you ain't seen nothin' yet."  ;) :D

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #26 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:29 PM »
hmm yeah on the collar that's the same thing i did BUT doesn't address that the center crease looks to be slanted diagonally instead of lining up vertically with the ab plate creases. Is that the picture, my delusions or is it actually slanted?

so the pauldrons won't actually flow into the biceps?
I thought it was intentional that the last panel lies flat against your arm...

Drake

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #27 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:35 PM »
hmm yeah on the collar that's the same thing i did BUT doesn't address that the center crease looks to be slanted diagonally instead of lining up vertically with the ab plate creases. Is that the picture, my delusions or is it actually slanted?

so the pauldrons won't actually flow into the biceps?
I thought it was intentional that the last panel lies flat against your arm...

From the look of the plate, it is slightly crooked, but not as bad as the reflection makes it out to be.

The biceps will be hung from the bottom of the pauldrons, and will look as though they may be connected. They will extend beyond the bottom plate, giving the impression that the bicep armor runs the length of my bicep. You may not see the top layer of the bicep plates with the pauldrons overlapping them. We will see what happens when the biceps are built.

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Firstly: He should do a Rory Williams outfit, as he looks exactly like him:

Secondly: Holy crap, this is badass. My favorite legacy plates by far.

Drake

« Reply #29 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:51 PM »

Secondly: Holy crap, this is badass. My favorite legacy plates by far.

Ha, I have never seen Doctor Who.  :D

And thanks Frost. Watch closely, though; the final product is something that hasn't been done before, and is completely in-Universe.  ;)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #30 on: Jun 13, 2011, 12:56 PM »
By the Nine Corellian Hells, why didn't I see it before!?! Doctor Who face characters are tricky to do without proper props and whatnot, but you really are a fair ringer for Rory, Drake. If you get the chance to pirate it, or want to spend the monies for the box sets, I highly recommend picking Doc Who up starting from the revamp back in '05, with Chris Eccleston as The Ninth Doctor. David Tennant as the Tenth is my favorite, but the new guy, Matt Smith, is doing a fair decent job as well. His Companions, Amy Pond and Rory Williams have some fairly brilliant dialogue. Better than most of the Companions.

/Doctowhofanboymoment :P

On Topic; I actually kind of like the slightly loose look to the segmented pauldrons myself. Granted, it leaves gaps that are unacceptable from an 'actual-armor-don't-want-chakaare-cutting-you' perspective, but from a strictly costuming standpoint it hints at coverage with flexibility. At least, to me it does ;).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Drake

« Reply #31 on: Jun 13, 2011, 01:06 PM »
By the Nine Corellian Hells, why didn't I see it before!?! Doctor Who face characters are tricky to do without proper props and whatnot, but you really are a fair ringer for Rory, Drake. If you get the chance to pirate it, or want to spend the monies for the box sets, I highly recommend picking Doc Who up starting from the revamp back in '05, with Chris Eccleston as The Ninth Doctor. David Tennant as the Tenth is my favorite, but the new guy, Matt Smith, is doing a fair decent job as well. His Companions, Amy Pond and Rory Williams have some fairly brilliant dialogue. Better than most of the Companions.

/Doctowhofanboymoment :P

On Topic; I actually kind of like the slightly loose look to the segmented pauldrons myself. Granted, it leaves gaps that are unacceptable from an 'actual-armor-don't-want-chakaare-cutting-you' perspective, but from a strictly costuming standpoint it hints at coverage with flexibility. At least, to me it does ;).

I may have to check out Doctor Who.  ;)

The only problem is that the pauldrons don't have the same gap. One has a noticible gap and the other doesn't, due to shape and positioning. I like symmetry, so they have to be same (within reason).

And I guess mine is considered another Alien-Mando build. I didn't see the Gungans and Wookies out there.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #32 on: Jun 13, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Heh, fair enough; it'd probably be a pain to try to give them the gap look and keep it symmetrical. Well, you could pull it off by putting a solid backing to 'em, but that'd negate the purpose of segments in the first place.

Drake

« Reply #33 on: Jul 28, 2011, 02:21 AM »
So I have completed the assembly and painting of my upper torso. I am tired of keeping it a secret so I will post pictures tomorrow, and those of you who can figure out my aim (based on the paint) are free to know what my goal is. I will not blatantly state my inended design, but a True Nerd can easily figure it out.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Sounds good!

"He is the most interesting man in the world. . ."

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #35 on: Jul 29, 2011, 08:59 PM »
dude... you can't just tease and not deliver!
up some pics already...

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Jul 30, 2011, 09:52 PM »

More to come...

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2011, 12:32 AM »
That's totally kick shebs boss. Good job with this. NOW FINISH! D:< .... I can't stand being kept waiting, ah the suspense....

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Thanks, dude...that means a lot coming from you!  ;)

Yeah, this is all Drake's work you see here; I'm just the "picture posting guy" on this thread!  :)

Since I've gotten this new job, I've been playing financial catch-up (doing side work and such), so I haven't had a chance to get back on my Legacy kit yet...but I will!  ;)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Mom2Mando

• Verda Buir
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2011, 12:40 PM »

Nice work.  Lovin' the yellow and black!

Teresa -  Verda Buir   (and son Dha Buruk)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #40 on: Jul 31, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Very nice; with the paint applications, the 'folds' look much better. I was skeptical of them at first, but it doesn't look bad at all.

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2011, 03:31 PM »
That looks SICK! Awesome work on the folds and the paint! Classy and oh-so-cool! 8) 8) 8)

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Drake

« Reply #42 on: Jul 31, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Thanks everyone. But in the words of Bachman Turner Overdrive, "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #43 on: Aug 01, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Brilliant work mate , Paint job is very cool too .

Zul Veyrde

• "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy" -FSF
« Reply #44 on: Sep 13, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Wow. I know I'm late to the party, ner vode. I am def keeping an eye out.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw
Zul Veyrde's WIP thread: GONE METAL! RE-RESURREKTION!!!! (update) *MAJIC#037-M.A.#012-24er-The Elegant Mando Tea Society#038-K.O.M.S.#011-ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society#018-M.A.C.K. Daddy#009-S.O.S.#021-L.O.B.#019-M.A.D.#074-O.O.P.S.#051-\m/M.M.R.S.#029\m/-Grey Brigade Over 40#10

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #45 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Thanks everyone. But in the words of Bachman Turner Overdrive, "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

You're right. It's been nearly two months and we haven't seen anything else yet. . . ;) ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Drake

« Reply #46 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:14 PM »
You're right. It's been nearly two months and we haven't seen anything else yet. . . ;) ;D

Meh, I'll get around to it eventually.  :D

Kiyanu Terras

• #0422 - Living the mando dream since 2011.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #47 on: Sep 15, 2011, 04:44 PM »
If I ever get around to making new shoulders I may have to steal your pauldron idea! they look awesome! I can't wait to see this when it's done.

Drake

« Reply #48 on: Oct 07, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Feel free Kiyanu. I stole them from Savage Oppress from the Clone Wars Season 3. :)

I am going to start working on the rest sometime soon. I need to have this wearable by the December parade. I have now set a deadline, therefore it will be done.  :D

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:36 PM »

I am going to start working on the rest sometime soon. I need to have this wearable by the December parade. I have now set a deadline, therefore it will be done.  :D
It better get done... Lol :p
Spectacular work on this!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!