Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ghostwalker - ReBuild (new pics p.13)

• 247 Replies

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

• When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
Re: Ghostwalker - ReBuild (new pics p.13)
« Reply #225 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:35 AM »
@_@  Huh.  Well I guess that'd work wonders for templates.  XD  Not having to worry about scale is a good thing.  I wonder why I didn't think of doing the same.

When the needle climbs, the engines scream, and the blue fades to black...
Where the twinkling lights of stars becomes a sea of light among the dark...
There is where you'll find me.
Praeter Calum Ad Astrum - Beyond the Sky, to the Stars
See you Starside

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #226 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:44 AM »
@_@  Huh.  Well I guess that'd work wonders for templates.  XD  Not having to worry about scale is a good thing.  I wonder why I didn't think of doing the same.
Probably since it's simple and we as makers don't usually think of the simple things first. Plus an easier way too would be taking a WoF thigh template and extending it to the knee with the side bits. And bringing the shin bits up to meet it.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #227 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:26 PM »
well seeing as i used cardboard boxes (single layer corrugated) to make mine like that...
I have a ton of pics, not sure if i did a 45 degree rotation though, might be a 90 degree.

Edit: all the pics i have are already in this thread.

You'll want to put the circles at the center of your knee. imagine a bolt going through both of the circles and the center of your knee, keep it level to ensure proper articulation. then you use a real rivet bucked a bit loose so it swivels or a chicago screw to make the hinge. I'd avoid making the hinges permanent until after you have your sniper plates or knees done and ready to attach.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2014, 03:31 PM by Ghostwalker » Logged

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

• When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #228 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Very good advice.  Especially since my knee cap armor will be wrapping partially around that joint anyway.

When the needle climbs, the engines scream, and the blue fades to black...
Where the twinkling lights of stars becomes a sea of light among the dark...
There is where you'll find me.
Praeter Calum Ad Astrum - Beyond the Sky, to the Stars
See you Starside

Ghostwalker

« Reply #229 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:37 PM »

added a new panel to my radio box.

distressed paint job.  3 of 4 buttons installed, lost that last one but it'll turn up.

needs a few toggle switches and maybe a knobbed selector switch and some LED's behind the bars.
work for another day.

still waiting on leg plastic but those are still happening. sooner rather than later.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #230 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:55 PM »

added a new panel to my radio box.

distressed paint job.  3 of 4 buttons installed, lost that last one but it'll turn up.

needs a few toggle switches and maybe a knobbed selector switch and some LED's behind the bars.
work for another day.

still waiting on leg plastic but those are still happening. sooner rather than later.
very nice Vod!
I was able to make a set of Cuisse(full leg armor) for my buddy Marsh with the pattern I drafted which is by no means as epic as your design but hey you've got more practice!

QMU#084

Ghostwalker

« Reply #231 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:05 AM »
I was able to make a set of Cuisse(full leg armor) for my buddy Marsh with the pattern I drafted which is by no means as epic as your design but hey you've got more practice!

See this is what it's all about for me. I build stuff because i can/want to, but I share the thoughts and progress so it kicks talent loose in others!
More people will see the cuisses idea now that Marsh has some and tinker with it themselves.
Maybe it'll cause someone to look at different ways to do other bits and share that thought with us.

empty box. lots of room for batteries and electronics.

cover back in place.

carry handle on and side panel closed.
Still need to come up with something for the 4 holes. And i think I need to add a (working) speaker, some toggle switches, maybe some jacks.

it's bolted onto my backplate! big gap there.. this makes me almost two people deep.

prepped the old buckaroo for a facelift. time to add the red mask to the visor outline.
I also have some milspec helmet liners coming, so i should be able to get rid of most of the padding inside. moar air, moar bettah!

Bowfanny

« Reply #233 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Very nice! Although now I want to call you Raphael! Lol

QMU#084

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #234 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Very nice! Although now I want to call you Raphael! Lol

LOL^^  I can see that...

Other then that though, I think that red will really make your visor area "pop" more then it did before.  Looking forward to seeing with the visor back in. 

Ghostwalker

« Reply #235 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:55 PM »
this weekend i will be redoing my loin cloth / repairing my kama.
as always I will post enough pictures for a walk through.

let's raise the bar on the dishtowel/random rag groin cover.

This is what i'm starting with (Kama on the left, loincloth on the right):

A terrible looking, flat ironed piece of faux leather vinyl.
Looks like a piece of fake leather carseat...

"New" Leather for the replacement is coming from a 17$ leather trenchcoat from Goodwill.
Same method I used for the kama materials back when.
My Kama is a size 5/6 leather pencil skirt (3$ thrift find), which after opening barely goes from hip to hip on me.

The Donor coat. Pardon the washout, my cellphone camera sucks worse than my loincloth.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #236 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:15 PM »
couple minutes of seam ripper and scissor work later:

in person the material quality difference is readily apparent.

I left the backing material on it, let's see if my scheme works.
The plan is to insert "Armor Plates" in between to get a quasi quilted / brigandine look.
Drive home the idea that it is protective armor, rather than a modesty groin cover.

First thought was using sintra, second thought corrugated cardboard.
After all it should never see more moisture than a bit of drizzle or rain and that will hit the leather, so cardboard SHOULD suffice and be quite light weight.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #237 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:41 PM »

cardboard test, hand creased. I'm thinking of cutting the plates in half either horizontally or vertically
but double stacked cardboard is giving me good thickness, figure roughly 6mm equivalent.

the idea will be to either glue this one plate at a time or machine sew pockets, insert a row and sew shut horizontally.
more dependent on whether my available machines can handle the material or not. I lost an industrial singer at auction  >:(

yes this loincloth is a lot wider than the old one.
after turning the top over for a full length belt loop it will hang maybe 3" lower than the old one and roughly 3"  higher than my kama.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #238 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:09 PM »
got a local source for sheet plastic at very reasonable prices. I should be able to go into leg building when it warms up outside.

Looks like the sewing machine my sweet lady left in my closet *should* sew this stuff.
So a trip to Tandy for a leather capable needle and I can try batting possibly.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #239 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:59 PM »

also have soldering iron, led's, speakers and a throwaway mp3 player coming.
time to wire up the radio, going to need some SW radio traffic tracks. Anyone got any bright ideas?

loincloth is on hold until my consultant seamstress can show me what kind of needle i need to buy and how to sew the thing if i can.
not going to glue the thing together if i can stuff and quilt it properly.

Bowfanny

« Reply #240 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:26 AM »
You should be able to pick up a standard leather needle set from the sewing section of your local Walmart or fabric store to use on that leather Vod. Most leather needles are wedge shaped though so be careful on your stitch lengths. Or if all else fails find a denim needle they are heavy duty as well. As far as sewing it make sure you use a test piece so you don't screw up your main item. Start your stitch, then back stitch(there should be a button or a switch) and then run the length and at the end back stitch again to lock in the stitches.

QMU#084

Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

« Reply #242 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Old leather Kama, completely seamed and sewed including the full length belt loop.
New leather Loincloth, completely seamed with sewed in liner.
Ended up doing a fold over the belt and snaps to hold the fold closed.
I decided against quilting at the literal moment of truth (3 sides lined and seamed shut) as it would have been too stiff.
Turns out you can have it wide or stiff or look right*, pick 2.
                                                                                                                                                                *obviously that is subjective

yeah they are hard to see. i know. Only have a flashless iPotato available and no lighter color pants/flightsuits.

back to building legs...

Bowfanny

« Reply #243 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Wide/quilted with a false stiff can be done with craft foam in 1/2 inch thickness.

QMU#084

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #244 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:55 PM »
I figured one would probably be trying to hide a stiff-wait no were not talking about the same thing are we? LOL

the leather looks good though, leather allways looks better

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ghostwalker

« Reply #245 on: Mar 18, 2015, 12:21 AM »
I agree on the leather. actually turned out pretty cheap too, probably cost less than trying to make another material look good.
And I know just how tight most mando's budgets are but get with the thrift store leather!

I'll try to get some non potato/selfie pics this weekend, suited up and in the daylight.

currently working on the electronics for my radio.
got some radio chatter on a dedicated mp3 player, some of the 501st loops from Youtube and some real world that aren't TOO obviously real world.
I figure at con, in the press of people, nobody will notice or care that it's TK's/TD's reporting in or that they are hearing actual radio chatter from Vietnam.  ;D
Still need to pick up an Aker and mike and a 3.5mm jack splitter. Figuring on adding the Aker up front somewhere, running the chatter player to both the radiobox speakers and the aker for a 3 speaker setup.

color wise im repainting myself a bit. going camouflaged in 3 or 4 tone OD, tan and 2 shades of umber/red in a 1/4" hexagon pattern. unless it ends up looking horrendous in paint testing.
need to acquire some of the metal wax stuff Spanner used ages ago as well, my armor is too clean and unsullied.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #246 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Ive actually got comm chatter on a soundboard for my helmet with a tiny momentary switch behind my left earcap that plays the comm audio from Republic Commando  looped over to fill a 200second soundboard.  Its still a WIP(nothigns isntalled) but itll either be RC or CoD comm chatter, definetly leaning towards RC though, I got the comm sound effects on a youtube sound effects compilation, trimmed the mp3 file to what I needed, and then converted that to WAV file

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ghostwalker

« Reply #247 on: Aug 26, 2015, 11:15 PM »
man I've been lazy! 5 months on and nothing done..
Talking to a friend looking to build his first Mando, linked my thread and realized how long it's been.

Finally got some 5S done on my living room and my workspace. It got to the point where I couldn't work due to being buried with stuff needing to be worked on.

Currently sorting some 60-70lbs of plastic, steel, titanium, carbide and aluminum greeblies I've acquired over the last 6 months.
Piles and piles of tubes, straight-bent-manifold tubing, nozzles, muzzle breaks, darts, nuts - bolts - clamps, gears, end caps, knurled bits, nipples, BTE's, thermal detonator bodies, real buttons, fake buttons, LED's, battery packs, power banks, vent covers, fake vent covers, corrugated steel tubing, cnc machined manifolds. I almost have enough credits for a Masters in Industrial Dumpster Diving .. or a new hyperdrive on Tatooine.

I expect to take another week to get done sorting by type and project before I even attempt to finish any projects I've started.
Really want to finish that rifle and the leg armor before AllCon comes around again.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!