Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ghostwalker - ReBuild (new pics p.13)

• 247 Replies

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Ghostwalker - ReBuild (new pics p.5)
« Reply #75 on: Feb 10, 2012, 04:12 AM »
picked up some lexan sheet today, 5 cans of black primer and a new 7lbs drum of bondo.

Helmet master is covered in red spot putty, ready for medium-fine sanding.

TOR bucket is partially spot puttied but still seeing regular bondo apps in places.

Pauldron master is spot puttied and ready for fine sanding.

Chest and Back plates are ready for fine sanding.

I am still at a loss on how to glass my shins, as the templates don't hold the shape i want when off my legs, but I am not thrilled to glass ON my leg.

« Reply #76 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:25 PM »
This might work for a mold:

With your flightsuit boots etc. on, measure the full circumferance of your leg around ankle and calf, and cut out circles with that circumferance. Diameter = Circumferance / 3.14.

Take the circles and tape/glue/whatever them inside a cardstock tube.  Now you have an approximate form of your leg.  You should be able to glass on the mold, ALTHOUGH I was told by a guy who used to work in auto body repair that fiberglass resin does not stick  to wax paper, so it might be worth while to wrap some around the mold first.

Mayg

And if this doesn't help I am sorry, just figured I would throw it out there

No cheers, no warcry.
The best way to take out a mark is to not let it know you're coming!
Long-Process Concept WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=169143.0

Ghostwalker

« Reply #77 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:24 AM »
thanks man, any help is always appreciated.
as it is I already have templates assembled that will get glassed over so sticking to the rig won't be an issue. I'll give your suggestion a whirl either this weekend or early next week and let you know if it pans out.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #78 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I've been procrastinating again.. bad me!

Pauldron master has been wet-sanded 1k grit once already.
Applied two new layers of primer today, wetsand again later tonite (after i do the dishes).

TOR bucket is near finished on the sculpt stage, only the face left to fix. Rest of the bucket is ready for 200->1k grit passes.

Legacy Master is ready for 200-1k grit passes as well.

pics will follow within the next 10-30minutes after my camera software updates.

bit o' paint magic to illustrate my vision better.

This helmet is actually a good bit cleaner now, I did go over it with another 60grit pass to smooth alot of the low points on the back and sides.

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 08:30 PM by Ghostwalker » Logged

Ghostwalker

Re: Ghostwalker - ReBuild (new pics p.6)
« Reply #79 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:58 AM »
Ordered new gloves and a new flight suit.
haven't tried on last years suit... kinda scared to find out how tight it is.
perfect scenario I'll have two flight suits for 3 days of con.
that ought to help cut down the sweat induced funk a tad.
This year no stuffed vest to kill me with heat either.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #80 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:26 AM »
Lookin good bud ;) lovin the bucket.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #81 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:33 AM »
It's coming along!

Ghostwalker

« Reply #82 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Face sculpted! There are a few areas that would need to be built up for a pristine bucket but those will be my battle damage areas. It's a good thing as they are more random than anything I would have laid out.

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2012, 05:19 PM by Ghostwalker » Logged

Ghostwalker

« Reply #83 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:41 AM »
TOR visor template made, ready to cut lexan come sunrise.

Partially shaped new gauntlets from 6" pvc pipe.
Using my new arm casts I achieved ~6hrs of work in 20minutes.
rare earth magnets on hand for recessed mounting and I saved a double handful of copper staples, from a giant box, which will be epoxied on the opposite of the closure.
these gaunts need alot of trimming for economy of motion but the fit is already banged out.

finally I have decided against fiber glass shins for a number of reasons. one they are shins, im bound to hit -censored- with them, FG might crack and break. two, it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. three, i'd need to make a dummy of my leg and sofar i haven't been able to knock anything up quick and dirty.

so I decided on my old friend the 6" pvc pipe... form around my old 6mm sintra shins.
the paint on the old ones will be ruined but whats that to me?

If the shins bang out as fast as the gaunts i may enclose them but that is back burner.

Knees!! Knees are going bye-bye in V2.
If I need them I'll add them as sniper plates on the top of my shins.

also on the schedule this week is molding the pauldron, it's gotta get done!

re-assembly of the poncho, measuring and cutting lat plates and screwing them into the abs and chest plates. these will curve and tuck underneath the back plate, probably velcro in place, maybe screwed if i can put the armor on without opening the poncho.

next week I ought to have my pauldrons on the poncho and will be able to bang out some new biceps armor. I still have the old ones and will most likely use them to nab measurements, especially where they soaked and rolled up. that was a very painful way to learn about cut outs inside the elbow and other joints.

paint scheme is changing from gloss black, though VERY sexy, to matt black. accent color stays gold and the legacy visor stays red. The TOR visor may end up mirrored gold or mirrored red, suggestions very welcome!

if there is time I will add a sintra hard holster to my non skull thigh plate.

in rifle news I'm going shopping for a 3/8" dovetail base plate and picatinny 1" scope rings this week.
Adding a functional 4x optical scope on the side and a plumbing scope to the top. This time it will be mounted on two short picatinny rails instead of superglued on, since im tired of regluing it twice a day.

the magazine got knocked off the rifle, I'm considering doweling it in place.

the long barrel got snapped off the rifle and needs half a fitting sawn off, said fitting needs to be replaced.
if time permits i will add heat shields to the barrel, got the plastic sitting around.

new rifle sling is jury rigged and I like it so much i won't replace the attachment i took of the front end.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:02 AM »
Busy busy mate, nice to see folk upgrading all the time. Too many rest on their laurel's when they get Official, nice one ;)

Ghostwalker

« Reply #85 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:32 AM »
well con is march 14th... time is fleeting.
also my kit was good enough to make it through application BUT probably shouldn't have made it through at first blush. It had alot of issues, cut corners and things people graciously overlooked. Ever since I've felt the need to prove them right in granting me the OM badge and bang out some serious armor.

The TOR bucket is part of my alternate con persona, my Mercs evil twin as it were, and he will be awesom.
I have a cheapo hooded cape around here somewhere and a bad -censored- custom lightsaber halfway here.
There will be Sith Mando and possibly Ninja Mando shenanigans at con this year.
Certain people will be apoplectic and or bust a major forehead vein.
If that doesn't do the trick I got a second saber on the way.
Dual saber wielding, random crossover costuming.
Fun will be had, that's dead sure.
Now to bed, for a nap.
Later Kel.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:46 AM »
Making folk burst forhead veins is my speciality  :laugh: Have fun with it and sweet dreams  :laugh:

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Looks Great Vod ;D Loving the TT Bucket ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ghostwalker

« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:03 PM »
fixed dremel last night, trimmed the TOR face
Cut out slot on the back of the Legacy Master, dremel died.
fixed dremel, re-cut slot.
trimmed one gauntlet, dremel died...
fixed dremel, cut one half of the TOR visor, dremel died...
fixed dremel, finished cutting out visor, dremel died...

not resurrecting it again... time to replace it.

in other news: laid on another coat of mat black primer on the TOR bucket. Except... it's SHINY! You know you did a good job (wet) sanding when mat primer comes out (semi) gloss.

Inserted details into Legacy Slot, still need to glue in place and spot putty seams.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #89 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:26 PM »
state of the bucket yesterday:

and after today's mat primer layer:

Legacy bucket as of today:

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2012, 05:29 PM by Ghostwalker » Logged

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #90 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Nothin you cant work with bud, easy to dull down ;) I actually like the look.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #91 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:48 PM »
well the old armor was gloss black, thighs still are.
I'll settle the paint scheme last moment, first gotta bang out the fabrication.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #92 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:56 PM »
The paint i used on my current kit was meant to be matt black, turned out shiny too. I just dulled it with a light rub of wet and dry and some charcoal mix, rubbed on by hand. Probably need a do over after rain, but not a big deal.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #93 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:17 PM »
yeah, one of the charcoals for my hookah was broken in the roll so I saved all the chunks and as much of the dust as i could fro dry rubbing armor.

With the TOR bucket I'm planning something different than normal.
First apply a ton of black layers, then hit the face and other pitted area with testor's metalizer, wet-sand the metalizer back to black. this ought to leave metalizer only in the low areas and divots. IF it works..
When all that is said and done I'll mask the rest of the helmet and shoot accent color into the channels.
de-mask, rub stuff into the bucket, maybe a brown wash and then sealer coat.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #94 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:05 AM »
TOR visor almost entirely shaped.

Did i say shaped? I meant melted... melted like hell.
Apparently it is a whole lot easier and faster to heat lexan INSIDE the bucket than outside of the bucket.
Good thing is only one part started to fizz with little bubbles and that part is overlap above the visible plastic. Still I'm rather frazzled, trying to work up the nerve to try again. If everything goes well I'll have to decide tonight on mirrored red or gold.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:55 AM »
TOR visor shaped, fits like... a sheep.
Just cooled it, going to go grab the mirrored gold tint in a minute
conducted a lightning survey on FB and gold won.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:23 AM »
$%*$% #$^#@ @#$^@#!!   :'(
!@#% compound curves !@#***!!!
 I'd feel alot better if it wasn't 3:21 in the morning and I could cuss a blue streak to relieve my tension.
This tint job is NOT going well at all..

There is literally not a single spot on the visor that does not curve in 4 or 5 directions at once, many of them at odds with the area next to it.

might have to add red foil over the front and if it looks like crap rip of the gold on the back and ughh redo it in silver.

This is seriously the part i hate the most making helmets.

while melting the visor into shape I heated the bucket so much the paint became sticky again.
so I whip out some paper towels to rest it on and am rewarded for my quick thinking by a white furry helmet...  :rolleyes:
well it'll sand right off I'll expect.

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2012, 05:17 AM by Ghostwalker » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #97 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:51 AM »
I would offer 3 recommendations here. Not sure that they would work but, they are at least angles worth trying...

1. I would recommend contacting some Halo costumers and seeing how they do it. I know many use motorcycle helmet visors which may or may not come in sizes you need or work for you. But, if nothing else, it should give you some ideas.

2. Contact Thaxos. He recently showed me his helmet and I have no idea how his visor was made up. It is essentially the same mylar sheeting used on catchers and NFL football helmets. I know it comes in every color under the sun and is quite flexible. Thaxos' isnt mounted permanatly to a harder substance, instead it is taped into the helmet.

3. Finally, it may not be the 100% desired effect but, it may work where other idea's fail... overlay a yellow acetate sheet over either a smoked or dark green #5 face shield.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #98 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:46 AM »
I remember someone saying they fitted the tint to the visor underwater, I have put tint on car windows and use soapy water to help smooth out the bubbles.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #99 on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:13 PM »
yeah I did that Kel.

I jaw jacked with my dad till almost 5 am about this and I'll try to save this today.
If i cant save it by tonite I'll strip the foil and reapply in strips.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!