Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Homer bucket First Attempt WIP

• 94 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« Reply #75 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I just make it all up as I go along -- if it fails, we'll try another thing ;)

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #76 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:43 PM »
So it's like a slight "fuzzy" feeling?

Would wet sanding with a fine grit help with that at all Sep?

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #77 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:49 PM »
He said he's already tried it, so I don't know. There's a lot of trial and error, cause those hard hats aren't manufactured with the intent of someone painting them.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #78 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I missed that part. Oops!

hmm...

I'm also wondering if hitting it with some Primer/filler, then light sanding, Primer/filler, light sanding (and repeat as necessary) would help? I've encountered the "fuzzy plastic" issue and done that with some really, really fine grade sandpaper and it's seemed to work out decently for me.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
« Reply #79 on: Nov 01, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for the idea Kurshi! I will be stripping the whole helmet probably on Monday. I will try the lighter trick first and if that doesn't work then I will try the prime and sand method.

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #80 on: Nov 03, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Really liking how this is coming along. Keep going Vod. :like:

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #81 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Thanks Kall! I still feel like I've got a really long way to go but I appreciate the encouragement

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #82 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:00 PM »
Alright well I knew this day was coming, I put it off almost a full week. I knew that I would be replacing the cheeks and I knew that I would be stripping the paint but it was really hard to actually do lol. But I've started and here is what I have in terms of photos.

I'm using nail polish remover to soften up and remove some of the paint and then using a metal scraper (razor blade) to remove the bulk of the paint. From what I read any real paint remover would be too strong and likely destroy the plastic underneath so it is a slow and steady process. I got half the dome done in about an hour.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #83 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:22 AM »
A little bit of an update here I have modeled some custom Ear carps that I hope to print, we'll see how that all goes. And then I have stripped the rest of my helmet back down to plastic so I can sand it properly,  redo the cheeks, and paint it properly.

The right ear has some knobs and inserts for "antenna" (I plan on using Bic pens I stole from work):

And the stripped helmet, not much to look at:

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #84 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:37 PM »
Ha resurrecting to show some progress, winter did me in hard lol (yay for outdoor shop in cold weather).

I didn't get much done but I got things lined up and secured on the cheek in preparation of the big bend and complex curve.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #85 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:22 AM »
So I have been working on this single piece for over a year partially procrastination and partially because winter is the devil. But I think I am close to being ready to paint and prime but I have an issue and question about the inner face plate of the "cheek." Right now I have the plate of sintra mounted from behind leaving a bit of a drop off on the straight side, I have filled it and evened it out as best that I can but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it (but I also don't want to have to rip it apart if I can help it) so here are some pictures.

Please advise on if this is acceptable or should I cut them out and replace them with something more flush to the outer plate?

At the suggestion of a clan mate (an app team member) I went out and added a coat of primer. Ah the wonder of a quick coat of primer lol. A few things become immediately obvious. the two sides do not match as well as I thought. I need the sharpen the edge lines they are too blended for my like. But I think that this will be ok with a little bit more work. I have so much filling to do lol I might need another bottle of the red stuff.

Please feel free to offer all the feedback

I have another update incoming shortly

Kall

« Reply #86 on: Aug 17, 2019, 12:34 PM »
Great progress Vod. Homemade helmets are a bugger, but you are doing great.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #87 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:42 AM »
The way you have the cheek should be approvable.  Whether it meets your personal standards is your call ;)

Scratch builds are fun!

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #88 on: Aug 19, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Haha yeah thanks guys those cheeks did not meet my approval. I redid them and they look much better now, though I don't have pictures at this time.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #89 on: Aug 28, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Picture dump incoming! I got a lot  done.

I have primed my helmet and right now I have spot putty allover it drying, after that I need to figure out my ear pieces, I have several greeblies I've been saving and some sintra so we'll see where that goes.

the dark spots are battle damage, I plan on sanding away the primer after every coat to give the damage some more depth. I figure maybe two more solid coats to cover some pin holes and the such and I should be ready for painting.

anyway here's the pics:

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #90 on: Dec 01, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Reviving again! Here are some more updates, I've really been moving on getting this stuff done! I finally have my helmet fully assembled!!!!! I am so excited, I might add a few little greeblies around the ear to hide the large gaps from the curve of the bucket. But it is basically ready for a little more primer and paint!

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #91 on: Dec 02, 2019, 01:02 AM »
Just flipped through this whole thread and I gotta say, I would've gotten frustrated and just bought a bucket at this point. HUGE props to you for sticking it out. This is going to be a really slick lid when it's all said and done.  :like:

Kall

« Reply #92 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Great work so far. Your so close to having this thing "finished"

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #93 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Just flipped through this whole thread and I gotta say, I would've gotten frustrated and just bought a bucket at this point. HUGE props to you for sticking it out. This is going to be a really slick lid when it's all said and done.  :like:

Thanks, I really appreciate that, there were many times that I almost quit but budget kept me from buying a bucket despite my wish to do so!

Great work so far. Your so close to having this thing "finished"

Thanks, Vod I really hope to get it done soon!!!

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #94 on: Apr 06, 2020, 06:44 PM »
Boy oh, boy does this page need some love!!

I painted my Helmet and got it to clear coat level one, haha, to protect the silver. Up next is masking and then masking and some more masking!!!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!