Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Animal Pelt, Poor taste?

• 19 Replies

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Animal Pelt, Poor taste?
« on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I'm working on a new armor idea, and I've been thinking of having a wolf or coyote pelt on the left shoulder, with the head attached on the shoulder....buuuut... I'm not entirely too fond of using an actual pelt. I do love wolves and coyotes so much that the pelt does interest me...but I also love them more alive. My real dog is the closest thing I can get to a wolf in fact.

But, the idea of using the pelt would also express my character's connection to them as well. Coyote pelts are easy to come by and they are not endangered. But... well, i got yelled at at Wondercon by tonnes of people for chasing a bird...and *cringes*  There's lots of Furries at conventions.

The idea intrigues me, but I'm worried some people will take real offence to me wearing the pelt and I don't want to make anymore waves in the costuming community.

What do you think? Should I just go for it, and wear it? Or should I take a bit more tact and try something else?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Animal Pelt, Poor taste?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Yoddledogs are protected in some area's of the US. But in 99$ of the country they are more prolific than flies and some area's they even will PAY a bounty on coyotes. Bring in the remains, get a check.

As long as you can legally obtain the pelts where you live, I say use it. No different than using real leather of reptile skins on a kit, which is commonly done.

People aren't going to like everything you do. some are going to hate on your colors, some on your armor design choice, colors, the fact youre a custom. So what? Like I said, if it's legally obtainable and works with your costume design, there's nothing wrong with using the fur. It's no different than one of the Kardashians sporting mink. Honestly, I would avoid the head though as it would look clearly "doggish" and not so much in-univers. But the pelt itself would be fine.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:49 PM »
And then, of course, if you aren't going to use the head, you might be able to use faux fur.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:35 PM »
There's actually plenty of dogs in Star Wars, established in fact. Some are very alien like, and others are very earthly. If I could manage it, I'd probably use a fake head and modify it to look like something more Star Wars-ish.

Racin Kyram

• Mess with the Best, die like the Rest
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2011, 11:31 PM »
If you look at taxidermist shops, they sell "forms" in which you can buy a coyote head form and faux fur.  That way it will look realistic, but be fake.  That way if people get in your face...you can tell THEM off.   ;D

Cando Pax

• Legacy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:27 AM »
Ooooh, YEAH! That's a great idea!!  ;D

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2011, 07:33 AM »
I come from Maine, which is a pretty traditional hunting state (I have memories of deer, hanging in the rafters of our garage, blood draining into a bucket.  XD) And I have a taxidermied fox sitting in one of our living room chairs, so....  I'd say go for it.  lol.  I think it really depends on your community.  I'm not sure how 'progressive' Nevada is but just gauge it before you commit.

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2011, 09:00 AM »
And I have a taxidermied fox sitting in one of our living room chairs, so....

Yeah, that thing startled me the first time I saw it. :D  "You have a pet fox?!?!"

Kav'an Hatfield

• Old Man from Naast
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2011, 09:10 AM »
And I have a taxidermied fox sitting in one of our living room chairs,

Gald I'm not the only one with a fox in the living room...it's just not sitting in a chair.....Now I want one of those.....>:3

Owner of Last Minute Gimmicks. Maker of Latex Masks.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:00 PM »
I've heard of stormies being harassed for wearing oil-based and therefore not environmental-friendly plastic. Others attack you because you wear leather of animals which are eaten on a regular basis because that's not vegan, which should be one's personal decision, too. Sometimes, you can't make all audience happy...

Therefore, if you did a legal thing where you live and be harassed for it, you can tell them that you wear animal pelt because human hide was sold out... that usually works :D

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Therefore, if you did a legal thing where you live and be harassed for it, you can tell them that you wear animal pelt because human hide was sold out

Tomoe wins! That's awesome!

Mafio

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I've heard of stormies being harassed for wearing oil-based and therefore not environmental-friendly plastic. Others attack you because you wear leather of animals which are eaten on a regular basis because that's not vegan, which should be one's personal decision, too. Sometimes, you can't make all audience happy...

And then they wear  artifical Leather-Coats  that  are made out of synthetic fabric thats based on oil either.    I know those  hypocrits too well.

Like i said every time.   People have the right to got their own Opinion  -  and they have the right to hate my Opinion.  But if they want to provokate me  by  shaking on my  Opinions  they  just  provoking  a Punch right into their faces.     Wearing a Custome doesnt mean that i'd lost my common sense and have to be calm  like the london Palace-guard. We are still humans with feelings under the helmet.   - so no reason to be shy.    ;D

anyway BTT

The experience showed me  that  real Animal-skin Leather and Fur  is  far better quality in every terms.  Its  enviromental friendly and has a lifelong Quality.  - Hell, the Leathergaitors of my gam are nearly 100 years old and still do their job.   The Nature had millions of years time  to produce the finest fabrics  to seal flesh and bones.    The quality of Faux-, plastic- and other synth Materials  vary  because of price pressure and Laborcosts  at their production place.   But  Animal-skins are  on every spot of the earth the best quality.

Therefore, if you did a legal thing where you live and be harassed for it, you can tell them that you wear animal pelt because human hide was sold out... that usually works :D

"Do you like my Briefcase?   Babyskin - real Babyskin!"  -   "How suitable for a Killer."

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Some people in the furry community can produce realistic looking faux fur mounts.  I don't have any links, but it might be worth checking out if you could get a real-looking faux pelt.  You could also get a nearly-real looking stuffed animal (the toy kind) and 'skin' it for your pelt.  I was considering doing just that for a lion pelt that I was going to wear as a jouster a while ago.

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2011, 02:50 PM »
come to north Texas and take about 50,000 of those blasted coyote back with you.....dead or alive I wouldn't care.  You would not make a dent in the population here.

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2011, 03:24 PM »
http://www.imstuffedfur.com/wolfcoyotefurs.html

We just bought a few yards of some of those where I work. The quality is top notch. It looks and feels very real... A little on the pricey side but I don't think you would need much to make it look like a pelt... Just thought you might be interested...!  ;)

Cando Pax

• Legacy
« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Nevada has very easy hunting laws when it comes to Coyotes. Personally I do like them, though. I've never personally had any problems with them. In fact, even thought we have a very high population of them in Nevada, I've only seen three in the 30 years I've lived here. There are plenty of people who sell the pelts around here. I do like the idea of the Form Head though, very alien dog looking and I can make a lot of changes to the form to make it look even MORE alien looking. Then I can layer it on top with either a real pelt that I buy or some realistic faux fur.

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:35 PM »
A good friend of mine is a furrier (not a furry, someone who deals in fur). And any time she gets yelled at or abused for wearing it, she always has a good reply. "Do you eat meat? Oh you do? Well here's a deal for you, take off your lovely leather boots and I'll take off my fur, how about that" Usually the person is left stammering and stuttering after her as she walks off.

Do people think the animal is Offended in some way that not all of it got used after it died? "Oh good at least they didnt eat my tail" "Oh thank goodness they don't wear my skin"

I say go for it :D But make it look alien!

« Reply #17 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:49 PM »
watch the ghost rider movie again. all the bad guys wore exotic animal skins. real skins like stingray eal and turtle skins. there isnt a thing wrong with it. use what you can and what you will. let the people bark all they want. they dont have to buy it or wear it....

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2011, 12:45 AM »

well played

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #19 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:41 PM »
hahaha

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!