Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flak Vest

• 11 Replies

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
Flak Vest
« on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Dose everyone make there own Flak vest? I was going to use my Interceptor Body Armor from the service but it seems like everyone uses a soft cloth type of armor to put the plates on. Why is that?

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.
Re: Flak Vest
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2011, 05:14 AM »
best bet would be to post up pics of it so the approval team can get a look and best tell you .

to answer the question on do we make our own , the yes , there are patterns available and 2 styles Jango and Boba's , the shoulders on each are different , personaly i used a UK issue grey flak jacket cover , turnd backwards with the neck line altered
hope this helps

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Dose everyone make there own Flak vest? I was going to use my Interceptor Body Armor from the service but it seems like everyone uses a soft cloth type of armor to put the plates on. Why is that?
Less bulky and more form fitting. You want the flak vest to be snug and not shift around since that is what most people mount their plates to.

Dar'manda

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Its not a very good photo. But as you can see, Its very snug and form fitting. I have zero seamstress skills and i dont want to be a bobba or janga. I am my own merc. who do i have to get it approved by?

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2011, 12:48 AM »
That's not going to work.

1. the colors are a CRL violation. Per the CRL's no use of modern, easily recgonizable or off the shelf camo patterns.
2. The vests design would require the vest be COMPLETELY covered. Meaning when the armor is on, ZERO% of the vest itself is visible. That is going to require the use of completely custom, which can get too far away from the Modern Era look very quickly and easily, or the use of Legacy armor... which is fine but it's not everyones cup of tea and forceing yourself into an armor type you mat not want to use for a vest would be a sad thing to do.

I would say sell it to an airsoft player or something and use the money to make or buy a proper vest.

Dar'manda

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2011, 01:32 PM »

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Look here to learn how to post photos. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=7579.0

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Corvax

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Vicious, we are ALL (well 98% of us) our own Mando. However we pretty much have to go Boba or Jango STYLE flak vest.  Not necessarily the colors of their vest, but the style. 

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2011, 11:03 PM »
I am not a seamstress either by any means, but I can iron pretty easily. I found duck cloth at my local walmart and got a couple yards of it. You probably will only need a yard or maybe even a half of a yard depending on your size. Then I took a snug fitting shirt that I could cut up and used it as a my pattern for my vest. Cut up the seams along the sides and pin it down nice and tight onto your vest material of choice and trace around it then cut it out leaving about a half an inch on the edges for your seams. While at walmart, I also grabbed a roll of the heavy duty Heat Bond tape. The person working in fabrics should be able to show you the right stuff. Once I had my pattern cut out, I begin folding the seam over on itself and iron it to make a crease. Next, I cut strips of the heat bond and put it along the crease and follow the directions from the package which was basically to put your iron on it for a few seconds, then fold the seam over it and run the iron along it again for a few seconds. I found that it works best if you put weight on the area as it cools so the heat bond can set. It was surprisingly simple to do, and I have a nice looking vest for my efforts. The cost was nice too. If you want to ask any questions about how I did it in more detail, just send me a pm. I am also thinking about posting a tutorial when I make my roommate's vest this week coming.

-Brandi

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2011, 10:59 AM »
... I am also thinking about posting a tutorial when I make my roommate's vest this week coming.

-Brandi

If you do create a tutorial, be sure to let me know so I can put it up on the MercsWiki.
Thanks!

« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2011, 03:01 PM »
If you do create a tutorial, be sure to let me know so I can put it up on the MercsWiki.
Thanks!

I will for sure. Its been a pain in the shebs working on it by myself but its not as complicated as I thought it be.

-Brandi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!