Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

why no force-sensative mandos?

• 72 Replies

Dar'manda

• "I go in first so you dont have to"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
why no force-sensative mandos?
« on: Aug 03, 2011, 02:48 AM »
ok so like the title says i waqs wondering why a mando can not be force-sensative. there are a few cases in books and other material that shows mandos have force powers. i.e. Legacy of the force where jaina is training with boba to take on her brother and there is a jedi healer who after order 66 left and became a mando. Now im not trying to start any fight was a bit confused and counldnt find the reason on the forum so was hoping id get my answer here.   
  Thank you

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Nate Jangotat

• Just trying to make my way in the universe...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Boba and Jango
Re: why no force-sensative mandos?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:10 AM »
Short answer is you can. But only if you are building a canon outfit based on bardan jusik or venku skirata.
If we all decided to carry lightsabers this would be the heavily armoured Jedi costume club ;)
People see you with a lightsaber... you are a Jedi.

Star-lord

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:12 AM »
mostly i think of it as a cultural thing   theyd most likely leave there jedi teachings behind.
THAT and itd be kinda hard to have a costume for a force sensitive mando haha

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:13 AM »
From my understanding of it, there are none because of how the general public sees us when we are in armor. It doesn't matter what your paint colors are.... they will see Boba or Jango. If they see a lightsaber they automatically think Jedi and then they are confused as to what you actually are trying to be.

So to make it easier, because a back story is only really for those of us on the forums who read them, there are no force-sensitive Mandos allowed.

That is my understanding of the reason anyways.

Short answer is you can. But only if you are building a canon outfit based on bardan jusik or venku skirata.
If we all decided to carry lightsabers this would be the heavily armoured Jedi costume club ;)
People see you with a lightsaber... you are a Jedi.

What Nate said

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:15 AM »
Force sensitive Mandos are allowed, just no Jedi Mandos or Sith Mandos.

It's because of the difference in culture primarily. The Mandalorians as a people didn't like the Jedi or the Sith, to the point of extreme violence. They understood that the medichlorians were random, and force sensitive Mandos would be born. But it wasn't force sensitivity that was the issue; it was the clash of cultural beliefs.

The Mandalorian you refer to is Bardan Jusik - he left the Jedi order and was adopted by Kal Skirata. Note the severance of one cultural ideentity before the taking up of the other. Also Kad Skirata, son of Darman Skirata and Etain, a Jedi - he was force sensitive, but not raised as a Jedi.

This does show you have a bit of reading to do however, because there's a LOT of talk about this on the forum.

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:19 AM »
To put it simply, it's to avoid cross-overs and god moding. If you want a Jedi, make a Jedi. If you want a Mando, make a Mando. But don't make a combo; their ideologies are almost completely opposite each other, and they clash horrifically. They also are visually confusing. Sith is no better. Examples of force using Mandos are rare, and should be kept that way; they lose their significance without that rarity. God moding, being the other issue, is very unbecoming. Everyone would want to have the best of both worlds, even though it doesn't work and would surely be overdone. You can't be Batman AND Superman.

This discussion comes up frequently. The answer will always be the same. Go ahead and make a canon Force using Mando, but avoid the non-canon "custom character" ones like the plague. Make sure that your costume does not visably express "Jedi."

~

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:20 AM »
There has only been two recorded Jedi in the Mandalorian culture. In several Mandalorian written books, Mandalorians naturally just don't like Jedi and usually kill them on sight. A couple of reasons for this. 1. The Empire gives out high bounties for dead Jedi. 2. Mandalorians always end up with the short end of the stick when dealing with any Force Sensative. In whatever war they have sided on, the Jedi and Sith have usually always screwed them over.

Now to mention Jarden and Venku were secrets. Jarded was only known to a few people in Skirata's clan that knew he was a Jedi. Venku was a very hidden Jedi. And the only reason was because of the extreme circumstance regarding his birth. He was indeed half clone-Mandalorians. And his mama was a Jedi...who broke a lot of rules.

Third....It's stupid. It's like God-Moding in my opinion. To me it's like saying you're a Sith Lord Mandalorian Fleet Admiral, who wields 2 dual bladed light sabers, and a personal shield that makes laser attacks invincible, and my character is so fast that it's literally impossible for anyone to touch him with a light saber.

There's a level where it just becomes retarded. And Jedi Mandalorian...is one of them.

Riz

• The bane of the Fallen, The hunters cure.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:49 AM »
so whats being said is one can be  force sencitive and be adopted into the cultuer as long as they leave the path they followed behind i.e Jedi or Sith? Right?

I ask bc my mando was raised sith, but left the order. So im just making sure i understand i guess is why im asking that heheh.

I am the bane you create, that curls your blood.  I will show no mercy to you, just as you've shown none to me. I will hunt you, kill you, and place your head and those of your kind on a mountain pikes. I am your new hell. I am The Demon  Hunter.

Ali Konshi

• Everything has a price...
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:06 AM »
In starting my armor design, I've worked on my character's backstory.  This allowed me to know her style, so as to create it visually.  One thing is, she is force sensitive.  Not strongly.  She mostly doesn't care, and never finished what little training she had.  The Jedi path never suited her.  I agree in not wanting folks to make all-powerful characters.  It gets old.  In my case, I got to thinking, "we've seen examples of powerful force sensitives... What about those with a lower midichlorian count?".  (I'll admit to only getting started on the EU at the moment, so any such examples, if existent, are unknown to me.)

My merc, while force sensitive, mostly pretends it doesn't exist, and seems to have good intuition and reflexes.  Which puts her on equal footing with a non-sensitive warrior with more natural fighting prowess.  She could easily be defeated by a better than average warrior or someone powerful in the force.  She doesn't carry a lightsaber.  Basically, the general public won't have a clue.  Anyone who knows her story might.

If you want to be force sensitive, sure.  It happens.  But I wouldn't suggest getting too carried away.

"The hawk with talent hides it's talons"

M.A.J.I.C. #38

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:30 AM »
Kyramia, that is EXACTLY the kind of force sensitive that IS allowed. Karen Traviss describes it as "They would appear to be more lucky, or better investors, or more intuitive" that kinda thing, than ordinary people, but nothing out of the ordinary.

With regards to backstory, it's quite rare that anyone who had anything to do with the Jedi or the Sith would be brought into Mandalorian culture at all. The innate distrust of the "Force Cults" by the Mandalorians prevents this. So if a Mandalorian WAS force sensitive, it's more likely they were born a Mandalorian who happened to have extra midichlorians than they "defected" from either "Force Cult".

Zel Gret

• Keep your friends close, disintegrate your enemies
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:53 AM »
Lightsabers, we don't need no stinking lightsabers.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2011, 06:22 AM »
whilst force sensitve is excepted within the club, it is generraly frowned upon. for reasons which Vhe and Cando stated. now, as much fun it is building a backstory for your character, i would strongly recommend, you don't. build your armour according to CRL standards. forget about force sensitive, ex Jedi/Sith and build a Mando.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Cando, watch the "R" word please.

Anyway, force sensitive is allowed, it's force-trained that isn't. Especially in eras when the Jedi aren't prevalent (Empire) I'd guess that a lot of force-sensitive people went their entire lives without ever knowing it. The cultures that specialize in recognizing and training up force-sensitivity do not mesh with the Mando culture. You can't be both. Even former members of one group would have difficulty fitting in with the other because there's such a gap in ideology. What people seem to forget is that there is a LOT more to being a Jedi than a lightsaber and a bunch of fancy force tricks. There's a whole set of ideals, particularly in the Old Republic era, less so in New Jedi Order, that set them apart from the rest of society. Like a cult. And, like a cult, you can't just leave. There's a huge stigma involved, and everybody would still identify you as "that guy who used to be a Jedi" and the Sith are no different, from that perspective. Basically, no one is going to train you in the force with "no strings attached"...you have to join their cult, which makes you ineligible to be a Mandalorian.

Dion

• Send Mando's, Guns and Money
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2011, 07:38 AM »
A jedi/ sith are exactly that, their force sensitivity affects their actions ,outlook and kit.
ie A target is going to set off a thermal detonator , would a jedi mind inluence , maybe a force sheild, "disarm",
, A sith force crush the det or hand, force  lightning ,"disarm, dat head "etc.
What would a mando do? what piece of equipment, what Teras Kasi strike  their actions aren't centred on the force . Abilities , Equipment and talents dictate options

Hondo Falco

• Armor Weapons and Soft Parts at 100%
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Third....It's stupid. It's like God-Moding in my opinion. To me it's like saying you're a Sith Lord Mandalorian Fleet Admiral, who wields 2 dual bladed light sabers, and a personal shield that makes laser attacks invincible, and my character is so fast that it's literally impossible for anyone to touch him
LOL ! Well put.

I’m a grunt...... and proud of it

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!