Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Leather needle needed?

• 2 Replies

Jarvis Dimmias Falco

• M.A.J.I.C. #39
Leather needle needed?
« on: Aug 29, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Im getting ready to sew velcro on to flight suit.  Im using sewing velcro on it and undustrial on the plates.
I have a leather vest which i dont consider thick but it is thicker than a typical jacket and also has good texture.
Would I have to use a leather sewing needle on this with the velcro or would a regular one suffice?
Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks in advance.

All Arrhythmias straighten themselves out at the end.

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Leather needle needed?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2011, 12:02 PM »
you can use a regular one if it is one of the larger/thicker typesand the leather is not too thick, I suggest making the tip sharper by running it over some sandpaper

you might need a pair of needlenose pliers to help get it through the leather. use thicker thread as well.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Zazarus

• You can stuff a cat anywhere with enough jell-o.
Re: Leather needle needed?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2011, 03:00 AM »
A normal needle should work on it as long as we are not talking about something belting or saddle leather.  One thing to keep in mind is to use a thimble or cut a section of leather to use on the back in cause depending on the leather it will give you some resistance, the leather chunk or a thimble to keep your finger from being killed.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!