Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arden's scratchbuilt Open Seasons Deathwatch

• 27 Replies

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Arden's scratchbuilt Open Seasons Deathwatch
« on: Sep 06, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Hai guys.  For some reason I'm wanting to do an Open Seasons deathwatch mando.

I decided to do a scratchbuild on this because A. nobody really sells these and B. Falin's OSDW helmet isn't quite close enough to how the comics look for me.  I used my own artistic interpretation of the design; considering the darned thing looks different in every panel it's drawn in, this is the closest I could get while still making it a functional bucket.

Anyway, most people post new pictures of progress every few days/weeks, but not I...  I'm done with this thing, so you get to see the whole process in fast forward.

First, I made a card stock mockup.  The pattern was eyeballed, so I unfortunately don't have any templates.  The dome is a temporary placeholder until I went out and bought a hard hat to use for the permanent dome.

I installed the hard hat dome, and coated the whole shebang with fiberglass resin so it would keep its shape through further work.

I thoroughly fiberglassed the inside (fiberglass cloth and resin) to about 2 mm thick.  Though this SOUNDS thin it's actually very strong and you really don't need to go any thicker for the needs of a costume helmet.  Then I used a dremel to cut out the T visor.

Coated the exterior with bondo.  This photo is the aftermath of two bondo applications and spot putty (the red spots) was used to fill in any residual holes.  I have a mouse sander, which is the BEST TOOL IN THE WORLD if you plan to scratchbuild using this method.  Hours of hand sanding is chopped down to about 30 minutes-- as long as you apply the bondo appropriately in the first place (meaning, thin, controlled, and not glopping it on like whipped cream)

I bought some large 'dragon claw' steel spikes and bolted them onto the brow.  One thing that bugs me about Falin's OSDW helmet (love ya, Falin!) Is that the spikes are molded into the dome rather than free-floating, as they are in the comic.  I also wanted them to be strong enough that they could get whacked without cracking, breaking, or falling off.  Because they're steel and bolted onto the frame of the helmet, anything that could snap them off would pretty much destroy the whole bucket, lol.  

I also added some sintra panels onto the sides and back-- both to give ti depth and to replicate some of the appearance of the comic helmets.  They don't have traditional Boba earcaps at all, but they do seem to have raised areas (again, it's drawn differently every time) so I again used some artistic interpretation to come up with something that looked good.

Anyway, below, the silver basecoat has been applied after three coats of primer.

Finally, we have the finished bucket.  I obviously still need to install the visor, but that'll be the basic black, so just use your imagination.  Weathering was done with a combination of additive and subtractive weathering, and the blackwash was done with siebring's leather dye wiped on and dabbed off.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2011, 09:36 AM by Arden Fisk » Logged
-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Arden's scratchbuilt Open Seasons Deathwatch
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Hum... Ok.. This, is a thing of beauty...! Seriously, fantastic work...!  :D

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Nice work.  Those things always had a corny looking face...but you did a great job putting that helmet together.  How many total hours of work was that?  I like the use of the spikes instead of those weird "wings" in the comics.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Nice work Arden  ;) .

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I like the use of the spikes instead of those weird "wings" in the comics.

A few of them are drawn with spikes rather than wings.

Looks good! Maybe I will eventually finish mine. ;)

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Nice work Arden!

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:38 AM »
So THIS is where you have been hiding! Nice work.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Nice work.  Those things always had a corny looking face...but you did a great job putting that helmet together.  How many total hours of work was that?  I like the use of the spikes instead of those weird "wings" in the comics.

I *still* think they have a corny face, lol.  But I always thought they were kinda neat at the same time, as long as you dull down some of the crazy sharp angles they have in the comics.  (And, yeah, do the more understated spikes rather than the weird wingy-thingies) I probably will finish the full suit...eventually.

And I think I've got about 20 hours in this thing total, spread out over 3 weeks.

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2011, 11:01 AM »
awesome job Fisk!

I still like it with the longer mandibles tho.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Awesome looking Bucket ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Beautiful work Arden as always

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur - "Today is a good day for some other bugger to die." Runi Kom'rk
Grizzly on TDH

Mom2Mando

• Verda Buir
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2011, 10:29 PM »

Gorgeous work.

Thanks for saying you've spent 20 hours.  I am still halfway through a scratch build.  It encourages me to hear that from someone experienced.  Gives me more hope.   :D

Teresa -  Verda Buir   (and son Dha Buruk)

Nirob

• What doesn't kill me dies.
  • Awards 40% increase or more Order of the Ori'Ramikad Force Hunter Brigade Member Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Great work.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Brilliant scratch build.

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:49 PM »
You did an awesome job bringing this thing to life! It looks magnificent.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I added some more brown weathering to spice things up.  You can also see the greens a lot better in these photos:

« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2011, 11:13 AM »
wow :o

SWTOR
~The Starfall legacy
-The Shadowlands "Kilstar" Powertech

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2011, 12:28 PM »
I'm not even a fan of this type of helmet, but I've said it and I'll say it again: This is a beautiful, beautiful bucket...!!  ;D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I didn't think this could get better and then you go and do That.  :o Tis a awesome Buy'ce Love it.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Great job, Weathering is brilliant.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Excellent work, Abby...will we see it at C6?

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2011, 07:26 PM »
real cool.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Excellent work, Abby...will we see it at C6?

Rob

That's the plan.  The one place in the world where someone might actually recognize me as being from Open Seasons, lol.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:03 PM »
That's the plan.  The one place in the world where someone might actually recognize me as being from Open Seasons, lol.

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing it!  :)
Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:35 PM »
What, no golden swirleys?  :D

Joking. The thing looks great.... For Death Watch.  :P

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!