Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

OS Death Watch grunt

• 36 Replies

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
OS Death Watch grunt
« on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Heyo!  I'm going to slowly start the ball rolling on this project.  I've already built the helmet (you can see it here:)

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=42819.0

Now, I have a question before I get too gung-ho.  In the OS comics, ALL of the DW mandos were men.  However, I am not.  Should I build this kit as if I were a man or would it be feasible that there were DW women?  I can see the benefits/arguments either way, so I'd like an official answer.   :)

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: OS Death Watch grunt
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:45 AM »
My official stance is the same as with the Mandalorian Protectors (I probably should have spelled it out here as well). Female-style plates are acceptable, provided they follow the same general appearance/configuration as Fett-style plates. So essentially, your Arden chest plates would be acceptable, although I'd rather see a more Fett-standard ab plate.

Edit: Reworded the DW BRL to reflect that stance.

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2011, 09:49 AM by Slade Kel (Marrok) » Logged
QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2011, 10:40 AM »
No worries on the plate style, I'm going to make this as canon as possible.  In fact, I'll likely use actual  Fett plates but with a slight curve-- you probably won't be able to even tell I'm female once I'm done.  I just wanted to know if the 'boob bend' was acceptable, as it DOES make this stuff more comfortable.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2011, 11:31 AM »
At first, back when I was compiling everyone's suggestions for DW, TM and MPs, I considered making it a requirement for womenfolk to use male plates, as we've only ever seen males (not counting the new fem TCW DW), but I figured it was unfair, as some gals simply cannot comfortably swing male plates. Sticking as close to the male look as possible is probably for the best, but the 'boob bend' is definitely acceptable for comfort's sake.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2011, 08:09 AM »
i look forward to seeing this Arden, i've always been a fan of your work  ;) .

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:43 PM »
I drew up a plan today (sorry for the cellphone picture of the picture, lol) and just want to make sure it'll be canon enough.  I'm really not bending any rules except potentially the 'weapons platform' gauntlets-- I'd argue, however, that 'weapons platform' doesn't necessarily mean missile weapons, and could cover melee-type stuff as seen below-- and the required crush gaunts could very well extend into full gauntlets.  I also found these reference pictures:

the first seems to show a hand-plate crush gaunt with spikes extending back to the elbow, and the second shows a grunt without a missile weapon.

I also echoed the spikes on the foot plates so it 'rhymes' between the hands and feet.  I'm hoping this'll be canon enough, as I really like this design and I'd hate to have to revert to Jango gaunts.

So.... what says the experts?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Brigade's are Slade's domain so he'll have to sound off here.

But, I will say this, I like your design here alot and I think it is unmistably Open Season's Deathwatch.

That said, my personal thoughts only, is the Canon Brigades aren't really adapted to present alot of freedom from reference. I don't think the gaunts, without at least 1 solid visual reference, are too outside the expectation from the artwork. The crushgaunts are great, minus the two big spikes on the back of the hands. I'd have to give a thumbs down on the foot plate spikes as well.

Now, I 100% agree with your estimations that they could, in universe, exist as you described. I also agree that the rendering looks AWESOME! As a custom Deathwatch, I would find this to be a sparkling example of a great custom Mandalorian costume. However, for me, for the canon brigade, there is too much "not referenced" material in the design.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:22 PM »
So you think it's good to go as long as I remove those 8 spikes (two on each foot and two on each hand plate?)  I'm totally down with that, it's mostly the gaunts themselves with the rows of spikes that I wanted to keep, if at all possible.  awesome.  :D

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Those spikes and the gaunts are what Im referring to.

Again, this is Slade's domain I'm just giving my opinion as it relates here, I think it's a FINE design. On a personal note, I quite like it. It reminds me of when I rocked my spiked mailed gaunts.

But, for the Canon Brigade, my understanding is that imagination is essentially removed. The whole idea is to build build the costumes as true to type, design and color as they are represented in the visual reference. Without one with a clear view of gaunts in that design, I can't see it.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Brigade's are Slade's domain so he'll have to sound off here.

But, I will say this, I like your design here alot and I think it is unmistably Open Season's Deathwatch.

That said, my personal thoughts only, is the Canon Brigades aren't really adapted to present alot of freedom from reference. I don't think the gaunts, without at least 1 solid visual reference, are too outside the expectation from the artwork. The crushgaunts are great, minus the two big spikes on the back of the hands. I'd have to give a thumbs down on the foot plate spikes as well.

Now, I 100% agree with your estimations that they could, in universe, exist as you described. I also agree that the rendering looks AWESOME! As a custom Deathwatch, I would find this to be a sparkling example of a great custom Mandalorian costume. However, for me, for the canon brigade, there is too much "not referenced" material in the design.

This ^^^^^^

I have to say though your overall design is pretty sweet. If you weren't looking to go canon on this I would say roll with it. However, as Falin pointed out, those are two of the things I think are hangups, unless I've missed those references somewhere (which I don't think I have but may have :D :P) Not sure if the gaunts with spikes would be considered canon tho  :(

My other concern is the knees. The knees themselves are great, the darts on the sides however I am not too sure if those are indeed canon for OS Deathwatch. I'll look through the images again but I am thinkin' those too might be a hang up. By what I remember the OS Deathwatch just have standard knees (unless this also suffers the curse of Jodo Kast and the characters somehow gain and lose costume parts within a frame!)

Overall though, hot dog! Lookin good sista! I personally REALLLLLLY like the design. Now, to make it somehow fit into canon brigade!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Well, it's easy enough to fit it... I just have to trade out the gaunts, lol.

How about if I take the spikes off and add a rocket on each one?  So basically... in the drawing, imagine the spikes gone, and a rocket running down the centerline instead?

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2011, 11:31 PM »
If that was done I don't see why not. Looks pretty darned close. Just def check on the knees tho also.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Sorry for the tardiness of my response; been a busy few days trying to fix my car and still find time to sleep and eat between work shifts.

Falin pretty well nailed it; the design of the gauntlets and boot spikes look awesome, but both are a little outside what we see depicted in the comic. I would say that if you lose the spikes and put a rocket down the centerline of each gauntlet, that'd be perfect. Other than that, the concept art looks perfect :).

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Just purchased some Clone wars deathwatch gaunts and CW knees.  The CW knees are surprisingly similar to what is shown in the comic, and the gaunts should be a nice, subtle nod to what the deathwatch turns into during the clone wars era.  :D

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Dun dun dunnnn....  working hard on this project, and I've finished the gaunts/hands!  MUUUUCH closer to canon now, lol.  I noted the 'gun barrel' type design as being the most common represented in the comic panels-- dunno what it does, exactly, but I guess it was easy enough for the comic artist to draw/  ;)

« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:17 PM »
OUTfreakingSTANDING my friend!  ;D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:41 PM »
I like it ;D.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Looking good Arden  ;)

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 PM »
I know OSDW require canon weapons, but I hadn't given much thought yet to which weapon, specifically, I would go for, until I saw this:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=46071.0

I bought it.   ;D  Now, I know technically it's not 'screen' canon, but it is LFL canon...  is that close enough?

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:34 AM »
By canon, we were thinking more along the lines of the loose catch-all canon of the entire SW 'verse, although I'd have to say that it should be era-specific; as in, something that existed during the time of the DW, TM turf war. More Falin's area of expertise than mine, but as long as there's something somewhere giving a name for that thing, or something even vaguely visually similar, suggesting that it's from that era or earlier, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Well, I do think the era is correct--  'Supertrooper' is Boba Fett, essentially, so it'd be around the time of the Fetts that weapon was in use.  Considering Open Seasons takes place, lets say, about 30 years before ESB that would make the weapon well within its functional lifetime (plenty of guns have been used for 50/100 years, especially if they are family heirlooms.)

I did a little research on TDH about the gun:

"Also seen in these photos is Boba Fett's "Automatic Blaster" or "Laser submachinegun" as note by ben Burtt, which is a replica Uzi, with a glaflex flash tube for the barrel."

Here's a bunch pf pics of the weapon:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/g567-boba-fett-supertrooper-automatic-blaster.html

So I guess it's not specifically named within the universe, but it's definitely a Mando heritage item.  ;) 

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:09 AM »
Fair enough; if the App Team will pass it as a CRL-approve-able weapon (which I'm sure they will), I'm willing to let it pass as a relevant weapon for DW use.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:15 PM »
More progress!  ...Almost done, actually.   ;D

Pics of torso rig below.  Some notes:
- I don't have the boba thong installed yet, so the cod is flapping out WAY far.  That'll be addressed, of course.
- I have a balaclava to conceal all my hair.
- There is a complete back plate under the cape.
- The cape fabric is AMAZING.  It's a deep green natural weave wool, so there's a bunch of off shade fibers mixed in, and the edges are naturally frayed.  It is a real-world cape fabric, so it's very rich and deep and functional looking.
- Girth belt has an additional belt to cinch around the back, but I left it downstairs when I took the pics.  :P

« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:51 PM »
LOOKIN' GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:00 AM »
Indeed, you're setting a high bar for future OSDW builds.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!