Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Index in first post]

• 672 Replies

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Late Crusader in planning [bucket unveiled, p7]
« Reply #100 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:56 PM »
You already know I think you did a great job but, I 'll say it publicly too, LOVE IT! :D

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #101 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Thanks.  Getting some attention from some of the big names and some of my mando role models on here so that means a lot coming from you folks.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Star-lord

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #102 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:42 AM »
looks awesome friend.

can we expect an appearance at the Emerald city?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #103 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Thanks.  I was really hoping to, but got laid off just before the holidays and just don't have the credits for it in all likelihood.  I have an interview in a couple hours, so anything is possible, but not likely this year.

Late Crusader WIP

Jaigalaar Ordo

• (JAI-gah-LAR)
« Reply #104 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:31 PM »
kandosii vod! Just finish it up and it'll look like a true mando bu'ce  ;)

mhi mando'ade tal'galar tome par darasuum kote.
(We mandolorians bleed together for eternal glory.)

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #105 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:25 PM »
where did you find the stencil/design for this helmet, or did you design them yourself?

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #106 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:36 PM »
where did you find the stencil/design for this helmet, or did you design them yourself?

I started with a pepakura file for the basic shape and did some very heavy modification to it. 

Late Crusader WIP

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #107 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Looks Great

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #108 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Oops.. didn't mean to click send and be quite that trite :P   My original plan was to base the bucket off of an ATV helmet but given the price of an ATV helmet, I decided to build a pep model to get that basic shape and built up from there.

Late Crusader WIP

Jango Nova

• "Rust'alor"
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #109 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Like the buy'ce vod. Thats a good idea to build it off of the pep helmet. Btw what helmet is that lol its from Halo right?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #110 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Wow... I really can't believe that that is in any way recognizable for what it was.  Did you get that from the post earlier with the model on the computer screen or can you really tell that from looking at the unveiling photos?  I plan on filling in/over the channels that run from front to back, which would make the dome smooth other than the mohawk, and that was the only recognizable feature left that I haven't already filled in, built over or otherwise changed completely.  I really didn't think it was possible to tell.  :\  Maybe that is why none of the App Team has chimed in since the unveiling?  Still recognizable as a "cross-over"?

Late Crusader WIP

Jango Nova

• "Rust'alor"
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #111 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Wow... I really can't believe that that is in any way recognizable for what it was.  Did you get that from the post earlier with the model on the computer screen or can you really tell that from looking at the unveiling photos?  I plan on filling in/over the channels that run from front to back, which would make the dome smooth other than the mohawk, and that was the only recognizable feature left that I haven't already filled in, built over or otherwise changed completely.  I really didn't think it was possible to tell.  :\  Maybe that is why none of the App Team has chimed in since the unveiling?  Still recognizable as a "cross-over"?

While the computer screen pic helped, I noticed it simply because I have made like 5 Pep halo helmets now and they typically all look the same lol. You have done a very good job of make it unrecognizable as a Halo bucket. When you start using Bondo on it you should be able to hide it even more.

Malus Cerar

• Cerar Clan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #112 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:48 PM »
I am really diggin this. I think that crusaders are going to be the future of this club. They are more creative and they are more unique; they stick out. You have more freedom to put yourself into the costume. You may be he crusader to blow mine out of the water. Keep it up! Oh yeah, remember to rondo before you paint if that is your final cast. Just resin and bondo separately does not hold up well to wear and tear.

Madre Di Dios, Es El Pollo Diablo!!!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #113 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Malus - Thanks a ton for your kind words!  I'm flattered.

I think that crusaders are going to be the future of this club. They are more creative and they are more unique; they stick out. You have more freedom to put yourself into the costume.

Perhaps, but frankly I hope not.  I think that there are enough members who don't think they fit the traditional Mando look [by which I mean the Jango/Boba template] to keep the Modern era strong.  For every one of us who enjoys the idea of making a TT visor or single-piece chest plate, there are plenty of others who think it is blasphemy.  I rather like it that way :D  I think that a kit like mine will be a lot less recognizable as a Mando without a modern kit or three around it to give him context to the average joe.  I've actually been kicking around the idea of reworking the sketches for my chest plates to make them more in line with a modern kit just for the recognition factor.
Oh yeah, remember to rondo before you paint if that is your final cast. Just resin and bondo separately does not hold up well to wear and tear.

Not sure I follow here.  I intend to resin-only the inside for a little extra strength since it is already rather snug I want to skip the extra thickness of adding 'glass cloth, then resin/glass/bondo the outside to add more structure and to get it nice and smooth, then primer/paint.  Is that correct? I've never done it before, but that was what I gathered from reading the threads around here...

You have done a very good job of make it unrecognizable as a Halo bucket. When you start using Bondo on it you should be able to hide it even more.

hmm.. I hope so.  Maybe once the additions are attached more permanently and the seams are smoothed over to make them look more built-in and not just tacked on top...  I was planning to glass the base bucket as it is without the mohawk then, once that cures and the bucket has some strength, cut the opening in the dome for the mohawk and attach it there with some reinforcement and structure for when someone decides to pick it up by the opening in the back.  Let's face it, someone will at some point, may as well plan for it and make it able to support the weight accordingly.  That way I can have a 'hawk that fits perfectly flush and the little added space for mounting a fan and maybe some other electronics in the new opening.   Which is also why the 'hawk that is currently on there is taped together and with a bunch of gaps and such; it is only a template for the later product.

Late Crusader WIP

Malus Cerar

• Cerar Clan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #114 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:57 PM »
I think that a kit like mine will be a lot less recognizable as a Mando without a modern kit or three around it to give him context to the average joe.

I thought my crusader was very unmandoy, but I was surprised by how many people recognized it.

Rondoing is simply mixing Fiberglass resin and Bondo to the outside of the piece. This will make it more durable. I've had helmets that survive a fall from my roof after I rondo them. Bondo chips after a while. Sometimes thats a good thing as you can just paint silver into the cracks to add more natural battle damage. On the other hand, I've had chest pieces crack right down the middle making my scared to wear it until it is repaired.

There are several tutorials around the net.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #115 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I thought my crusader was very unmandoy, but I was surprised by how many people recognized it.

Rondoing is simply mixing Fiberglass resin and Bondo to the outside of the piece. This will make it more durable. I've had helmets that survive a fall from my roof after I rondo them. Bondo chips after a while. Sometimes thats a good thing as you can just paint silver into the cracks to add more natural battle damage. On the other hand, I've had chest pieces crack right down the middle making my scared to wear it until it is repaired.

There are several tutorials around the net.

Is there an advantage to rondo over using bondo-glass?

Late Crusader WIP

Malus Cerar

• Cerar Clan
« Reply #116 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:48 PM »
durability and it's smoother.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #117 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Minor update.  This has been a pretty great week.  As of this week: I now have income effective next Friday, and my wife might be taking on a new client at work which would open up the potential to make the trip down to C6 for the birthday bash, so I have a goal/deadline to get done.  I've been tinkering with shoulders lately but nothing worth posting except a pep build that I tinkered with in gimp to mock up some changes to.  Not quite where I want it, but I can get it where I want from that start once I have the bondo and epoxy putty to work with to build up the spots and get the exact shape I have in mind.  Working on my second base shoulder now, and I'll grab some resin and bondo this weekend when my first pay comes in.  Getting excited now that it is ready to start for real.

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #118 on: Mar 10, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Hey any updates for us!  ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #119 on: Mar 10, 2012, 12:12 PM »
I keep thinking of posting, but the thread is already full of non-updates so I thought I'd spare you all the trouble of loading it :P

I have a couple more pep models put together but it turned out that the first check I had been waiting for was a bust; because of the way the pay schedule and my start date fell, it was only for a couple days.  Plus it's been hovering around/under 0 so no 'glassing has been done.   I have the fiberglass supplies in my possession though... waiting for mother nature to get her act together and Spring already.

I've thrown together a couple different pep shoulder ideas and I'll mess with those first as they were much easier to make than the helmet was if/when I screw up.  Other than that no real progress, unfortunately.  But I'm not dead yet. :D  Thanks for asking though :D

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #120 on: Mar 10, 2012, 12:16 PM »
All right then just wanted to know if this awsome kit was movin' along.
"I WILL be watching" *steps back into the shadows*

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #121 on: Mar 10, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I don't know about moving, but it is twitching and on life support... I won't let it go that easily :P

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #122 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:30 AM »
So.  An update.    I'm not dead yet.  In fact. there is a very good chance I'll be going to C6 so I've been in full-on saving/planning/building mode.  Also, the weather just got over 10 for the first time this weekend so maybe I can get some 'glassing done this week.   I am hoping to have at least a glassed bucket in time for Vancouver FanExpo in two weeks' time.

So this is where I stand right now:

Yes, those are HALO shoulders and I have a mock-up of how I am going to be modding them here:

There will be extensive changes, but I thought they would be easier to cut and form with the dremel once they have some resin on them rather than trying to cut the model with an x-acto without popping any of the glue joints or slicing a finger off. The purple "stripe" will be a nearly vertical band using the bondo-and-weather-stripping method I've seen used on here on a few WIPs, separating the shoulder bells into three distinct "parts" and the profile will be reshaped quite a bit as you can see.   There may well have been an easier way to do this, but I don't know it.

As always, fire away.  Maybe between now and C6 I might perhaps make it down to a CK or Terenenerenek armour party and get some in-person advice, if they'll have me.

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Late Crusader in planning [prelim shoulders, p9]
« Reply #123 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Looks good Zophar! I like the HALO shoulders, they really fit in with the helmet. Just make sure to mod them enough to look crusader-y.
I look forward to seeing your glassed bucket!

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Late Crusader in planning [prelim shoulders, p9]
« Reply #124 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:55 PM »
it looks Ok-i-day as Jar-Jar would say, I would advise the bondo glass/hair opposed to the pink stuff for building up that strip though-it's less likely to chip or get damaged in a very noticable way-bondoglass is kind of an OD green/brown colour once it's mixed. So it may look a bit less painful should u suffer some damages to it.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!