Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Index in first post]

• 672 Replies

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Trimmed the visor and internal padding tonight.  A picture directly under a 100W light bulb:

and a selfie with the flash directly on the visor:

No seeing through the visor from the outside but is the foam weather stripping I used for mounting it going to fly?

I would try a clear epoxy over that weatherseal foam...it'll take some time and effort to maneuver the bends and depths, but it'll be worth it is the end of actually being approved by the app team.

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [chest painted - p36]
« Reply #551 on: Apr 24, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Yes what Adenn said, you could built up a flat area via epoxy putty for the visor to rest on and it would probably make the differance between Approval and Rejection...

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #552 on: Apr 24, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Yes what Adenn said, you could built up a flat area via epoxy putty for the visor to rest on and it would probably make the differance between Approval and Rejection...

Either that, or, since your mask area is pretty angular, you could try your hand at creating angular points in the visor (IE: cutting up a spare visor piece and piecing your visor together, one section at a time) using said clear epoxy adhesive (5 minute quick drying works best)

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #553 on: Apr 24, 2014, 08:32 PM »
I would try a clear epoxy over that weatherseal foam...it'll take some time and effort to maneuver the bends and depths, but it'll be worth it is the end of actually being approved by the app team.

oh yeah.   I don't intend to apply in this state, I just needed to get the shape down before permanently mounting it.  The white 2-sided mounting tape will absolutely be gone.   I was thinking of mounting a few bolts into the bucket at the stress points and bolting the visor in so I can replace it as desired.  I was also thinking of hitting it with a quick run under a heat gun while taped in shape to hopefully give it a chance to form a bit to reduce the stress at certain points where it is being bent.  Once formed I might hit the visible edges of the foam with something like spot putty or epoxy so it has a hard smooth face, but that will add a LOT of extra work trying to work that flush into the existing bucket, a full repaint, etc...

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
« Reply #554 on: Apr 25, 2014, 11:32 AM »
oh yeah.   I don't intend to apply in this state, I just needed to get the shape down before permanently mounting it.  The white 2-sided mounting tape will absolutely be gone.   I was thinking of mounting a few bolts into the bucket at the stress points and bolting the visor in so I can replace it as desired.  I was also thinking of hitting it with a quick run under a heat gun while taped in shape to hopefully give it a chance to form a bit to reduce the stress at certain points where it is being bent.  Once formed I might hit the visible edges of the foam with something like spot putty or epoxy so it has a hard smooth face, but that will add a LOT of extra work trying to work that flush into the existing bucket, a full repaint, etc...

Be careful using the heat gun...lowest setting always...is it welding shield you are using? If so, I would recommend trying your hand at making the bends with a clear shield (harbor freight has them for usually under $10), creating the shape you need with that, and then using that as a mold for remaking the tinted visor, via cutting and epoxying into place with all the proper bends planned out via the clear visor <-----so much easier to explain in person...

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #555 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:57 PM »
<-----so much easier to explain in person...

I see what you are saying and i had a similar thought.   I'm concerned that I won't be able to get a smoothe, clean join at the various bends and it will just look like osik.  I was thinking heat gun on low and JUST long enough to hopefully set the current position into its "memory".  It is a welding/face shield an I picked up a couple clear ones and a few spare tinted ones to practice on.  The one in there now is the "solid maybe" and "functional but not great" that i have left in for the time being so I can work on other things and not feel like I completely abandoned the bucket :-P  I plan to revisit it in the near future

Late Crusader WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #556 on: Apr 26, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Thats some nice weathering on your plates vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #557 on: Apr 27, 2014, 01:15 AM »

Greens are solid, red blinks.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #558 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Oooo I like the jewlled indicator lights-nice touch

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Nirob

• What doesn't kill me dies.
  • Awards 40% increase or more Order of the Ori'Ramikad Force Hunter Brigade Member Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #559 on: Apr 27, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Great job you did on that costume so far. Very inspiring.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #560 on: Apr 27, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Oooo I like the jewlled indicator lights-nice touch
Great job you did on that costume so far. Very inspiring.

Thanks Vode.   I'm swinging by Home Depot after work today to grab some self-tapping finishing screws to mount the strapping to the gaunt and waiting on some bits and bobs to come in to finish the electronics.  I put a hole in the bottom between the strap locations and the plan is to grommet the flight suit sleeve, mount a 9V battery inside each shoulder plate [plenty of room] and run the wiring inside the sleeve with a 2-pin JST connector [AKA the connectors used for motherboard fans] on each end so it can be removed easily.

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #561 on: Apr 28, 2014, 12:48 AM »

And while the resin cures on the lens assemblies, I strapped them up using WWII era leather belts

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2014, 01:18 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
Re: Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Index in first post]
« Reply #562 on: Apr 30, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Fruits of today's labour:

Soldered up an amp for each earpiece, a voice amp, a voice changer, and a good chunk of the gauntlet's lights.   Heading out for dinner now then I hope to finish the gauntlet tonight.

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #563 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33 AM »
One gauntlet completed and wired up.

Letin' it all hang out:

stuffed like a sausage:

ready to rock

8) 8) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Late Crusader WIP

Kraton Jax

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #564 on: May 03, 2014, 01:19 AM »
Pretty awesome!! Nice work there vod! :)

Me: HK,you see I'm in love with a nice girl and I'm not sure about this and I just wanted to know what love for you?
HK-47:Definition:'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 12 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...
Me:(sigh)Never ask a droid what love is...

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #565 on: May 03, 2014, 01:34 AM »
playing with some speaker grille layouts for the other gauntlet to hit on the laser cutter this weekend:

In all cases, red lines are cuts and blue is etch.  Mando'a just spells out Zophar

Also, it occured to me last night that I got my left and right backward at some point.    the finished gaunt with the four lights is strapped to fit my left arm, not my right :-P    ah well :-P

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:37 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #566 on: May 05, 2014, 02:52 AM »
Some of you may remember Z.A.P.P.A, my armoury droid.  He is back from retirement today, this wonderful May the 4th, to gear up for you fine folks playing along at home.   Consider this my State of the Mando address.

I need a more discrete way to mount the shoulder strap than the current stainless steel acorn nuts while still be removable.  For now I may just put some boot black on the nuts... [If I had a dollar every time I... wait.. was that my outside voice?]

Late Crusader WIP

Kraton Jax

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #567 on: May 05, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Damn vod... THAT FRICKIN AWESOME !!

Me: HK,you see I'm in love with a nice girl and I'm not sure about this and I just wanted to know what love for you?
HK-47:Definition:'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 12 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...
Me:(sigh)Never ask a droid what love is...

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #568 on: May 05, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Looking good vod, it wont be long until yoh can apply for OM at this rate.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52 PM »
legs are going to be a real pain, one reason I've put them off so long...

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2014, 03:36 AM »
blaster circuitry all built:

(1) 21,000mcd ungodly bright LED in the barrel from a single-LED flashlight, (8.) superbright red LEDs in the perforated portion for glow, and a pewpew circuit from a toy space gun

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:51 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Looking good vod

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #572 on: May 09, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I had my Doubts in the beginning Stages of your Helmet Build but now you definatly got me stoked.
Great Detailwork! It's the right Choice to use Real leather Belts and stuff like that. Looks Even More Real!

Great Work vod!

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #573 on: May 10, 2014, 12:46 AM »
I took inspiration from Adenn Gra tuar and used the wire mesh to form the curves of my knees

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:47 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
« Reply #574 on: May 10, 2014, 01:58 AM »
I took inspiration from Adenn Gra tuar and used the wire mesh to form the curves of my knees

I appreciate the shout, brotha...looks good so far!!!

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!