Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Index in first post]

• 672 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Late Crusader in planning [bits coming in to start work, p5]
« Reply #75 on: Nov 12, 2011, 03:36 AM »
Ah, I didn't know about the TOR chronology mess.  I'll look for some KOTOR refrences for blaster pistols instead.  I looked through the ref pix in this forum and there are a bunch of carbines but quite few pistols, and those that are depicted are hard to make out.  I had hoped that TOR screenshots might work for blaster ideas given the name, but if it's a mangle of eras and not canon, then so much for that idea.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #76 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:30 AM »
There is a canon storyline to TOR but, for the Mandalorians at least, it's still a bit convoluted and unclear. That is why we will recgonize named canon characters from TOR such as Shae Viszla but, likely won't have a CRL for the era itself.

If you watch the video's and look at the images from the standpoint of critique rather than fanboy squeeeeeeeeeeee, you see tons of continuity issues in design.

For example, a direct quote about the GAR during the Clone Wars was, the galaxy had never seen an army like it. The Republic Army in TOR look like Clone Trooper from armor design to weapons load. Some images of the Mando's look like an armor mess from Early to Modern in design. The humanoid Cad Bane smuggler guy everyone is so excited about is flying a YT class shipp that looks almost exactly like the Millenium Falcon. There are weapons galore that do not seem to match the era etc.

Basically, I give GL kudo's for making his money and making it recognizable to everyone by doing whatever he wanted and putting things that are inappropriate for their timeline into the game.. Even casual fans will recgonize the Darth maul Sith, the Millenium Falcon and the Stormtroopers in the game and will be drawn to it. For me, as a fan of continuity and not a fam of online gaming, I see it as an "UNGH". LOL

That's why I recommend using KOTOR for reference. You may even be able to wookieepedia some weapons from that era. The video games KOTOR would be good references as well and the weapons are much better defined.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #77 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Thanks for your time explaining that, Falin.  I'm sure it's been hashed out ovr and over on here, but as I'm not much of a a gamer I never bothered actually reading the TOR threads.  It hadn't occurred to me that it could be so borked; I just assumed that a franchise that is so well established would be able to keep their osik together a bit better than that.

With all that in mind, I'll keep sticking to KOTOR for refrences instead.  I ust saw the name "The Old Republic" nd kinda assumed [I know, I know...] that it was the same or similar era as KOTOR.

I don't want to sound like I am ignoring your advice and help, but as of right now I think that since I have the mausers sitting here already anyway, I may try using them for the base of a custom blaster.  I won't base it off of the DL-44 specifically other than the unavoidable issue of the mag well being separate from the grip, but that seems somewhat common-ish in blaster design.  The grip plates pop off on these guys so I'll throw together a flat grip set to replace the broomhandles and work from there.   With some luck and some work, maybe they won't be too terribly obvious.  Even if they turn out not being troopable with this kit, the practice can't hurt and I can either use them on a future kit [listen to the big shot here, already planning anther when he hasn't mad the first cut on this one yet...]  or post them up here to help fund my kit if they come out good enough that someone else would want them.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #78 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I like the respirator cartridge idea........think of doing hoses under mandables that go around to the back of the helmat though?    even the hose from a airmatress pump(corrigated hose)

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2011, 05:50 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #79 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:22 AM »
Not quite sure I follow on the hose idea;   are you thinking attach inside the mandibles at the front [to the stem of the cartridge inside the helmet face?], then come around outside, around to the back and connect into the helmet again at the back?

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #80 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Under te mandables,(or on cheeks) and then loop around to back of helmat to "automated respirator" style backpack thing?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #81 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:54 PM »
backpack is already reserved/designated for a mobile comm unit which will also carry an array of tools and such strapped to it, maybe a respirator tank can be worked in too.  just to be clear in my mind, you are suggesting a scuba-style air tank in lieu of the cartridge?

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #82 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:05 AM »
Alright, so I have over 80 comments and over 1300 views, which surely must put me among the top-read threads without any progress at all being made on physical goods.  So I've started on one of the blasters tonight.  My initial plan called for a pair of matched light blasters, but I'm thinking heavy plus a light/hold-out instead, given the bases that I found.  

That said, here's where I'm at for tonight:

Naturally it needs greebs and screw-holes filled and all.  I'll either file off the rear iron sight or use it as the mount point for a scope.  A few other spots need filling and sanding and all.  I may do the ubiquitous cone-shaped barrel end, not really sure.  I kinda like how it looks now, as far as the shape goes, so I may just stick to some texture-oriented greebles and filling what needs filled. And a paint job, obviously.

Suggestions?

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2011, 07:09 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

Re: Late Crusader in planning [initial blaster work, p6]
« Reply #83 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:07 AM »
I'd try looking through the KOTOR comics for inspiration

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #84 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:00 PM »
I'd try looking through the KOTOR comics for inspiration

Working on it

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #85 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I suggest intigrate small "cannon"nods, like the glowing pattern on Zayne Carrick's light saber resistant vambraces.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #86 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Alright folks, unfortunately the new job didn't work out.  I'm back to the job hunt again so the kit is going to have to wait.  I do have a sheet of corrugated plastic laying around which I may use to do a mock-up to kill some time and to get the plastic put to some use other than sitting on my balcony.  I understand full well that it is not acceptable as a final kit, but I may play around with it for the time being.

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #87 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:44 AM »
So I spent my downtime wisely.  Star Wars Marathon with all seven movies [including TCW] and working through the Clone Wars TV series now, which I haven't watched before.  While they were on, I started messing with some pepakura models for the first time to get the hang of that so I can perhaps do my bucket that way.  Nothing photo-worthy, but some small degree of progress has been made. :D

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2012, 08:00 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #88 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:23 PM »

starting a pepakura helm which I'll use as the base.  once it is done I'll modify it and figure out what I need to do to modify the model.  This one will fit wonderfully once I chop my ears off.  So the next one will be scaled a bit larger.   My original plan was to mod an ATV helmet but since they don't/can't sell used helmets here and I am not dropping the money on a new one right now just to chop it up.  So I found a pep model that was very close to an ATV helmet style I was looking for, and Rob's your father's brother.

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
Re: Late Crusader in planning [bucket unveiled, p7]
« Reply #89 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Alright, so here's an update.  I'll need to wait for a new job to get the materials to fibergalss it over, but I believe this is my final bucket design.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012, 03:58 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #90 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:01 PM »
WOW!! That looks SO cool!!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #91 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Indeed! It looks nice, vod!  :)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #92 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:44 PM »
Like it Vod ;D The T has a Grievous feel to it

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #93 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:17 PM »
FINALY!

Great progress here! Looking forward to seeing you complete this bucket.

Bubba D. Fett

• I reject your canon and substitute my own!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #94 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Lookin' gooooooooood

Krayt Clan - MMCC:485 - MAJIC:032 - MA:030 - MAD:001 - EMTS:047 - Graphics Guru - 40 Invasions

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #95 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:04 PM »
WOW!! That looks SO cool!!
Indeed! It looks nice, vod!  :)

Thanks, Vode.  I'm pretty happy with the overall look.  it needs a few tweaks here and there but I am a bit surprised how close I got it to my initial concept sketches.

Like it Vod ;D The T has a Grievous feel to it

I hadn't thought of Grievous.  The overall bucket keeps reminding me of Demagol more than anyone else.  I can kinda see what you are saying though, now that it was pointed out.

FINALY!

Tell  me about it.   I spent a good bit of time researching cold casting techniques and thinking about how i wanted to do this once I found out that cold casting in aluminum wasn't an option here [apparently it is an ingredient in fireworks and other things that go boom so it is a restrited/controlled material; damned terrorists]

Great progress here! Looking forward to seeing you complete this bucket.

Looking forward to finishing it too... and not just because that will mean I've finally found a new job  :P  I think this will come together nicely, indeed.

Lookin' gooooooooood

Thank you, Sir.  :D  There are a lot of great looking kits down there in the CK, I hope I only stand out for the right reasons when I finish the kit up and get to troop with you guys.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012, 08:06 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #96 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:19 PM »
That looks amazing, are you worried about it stabbing you in the chest?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #97 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:22 PM »
That looks amazing, are you worried about it stabbing you in the chest?

I did a few trial visors and was afraid of that at first.  I will have to try it on again after I get the chest plate made and tried on, but in a t-shirt I'd say I have 95% mobility with it.  I'll also be sure not to sharpen them too much when I bondo them :wink:

Late Crusader WIP

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #98 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Demmed ambitious build there; it'll look dope when it's all glassed up and such :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #99 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Looks brill mate, cant wait to see it done and on yer heed  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!