Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Index in first post]

• 672 Replies

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Late Crusader in planning [Blaster Preview - p25]
« Reply #375 on: Jun 14, 2012, 12:52 PM »
you've just got it set up to show more than 15 posts per page  :D I had it set to more for a little while but I changed it back because people would reference a page in a thread and it would be different for me and thus I couldn't find the awesome armor tips  ???

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Late Crusader in planning [Blaster Preview - p25]
« Reply #376 on: Jun 14, 2012, 01:30 PM »
you've just got it set up to show more than 15 posts per page  :D I had it set to more for a little while but I changed it back because people would reference a page in a thread and it would be different for me and thus I couldn't find the awesome armor tips  ???

Exactly.  I changed it back to default for just that reason

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Blaster Preview - p25]
« Reply #377 on: Jun 14, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Meh...no biggy-I am working on a light-up display for my gauntlet screen using your etching method yout old me about, and I'll keep you informed of the resualts...

oh and I was pondering your C6 no-armour sit'iation and came to the conclusion that if it were me in your predicament, I would maybe just get the body armour done and let the helmet wait if need-be.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #378 on: Jun 14, 2012, 08:55 PM »
no armour situation?   I've got the torso outside curing another coat of resin, the neck-hole properly sized and the sides trimmed to within a ¼" of where I want them, leaving the little bit there for sanding/grinding later to shape. 

At this point, the helmet looks like the only issue I might have since I can't seem to get in touch with the guy who was working on the model for/with me...

I'll get working on the blaster while in curing time, but I only have an hour or so today to spend on this, then busy all weekend.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #379 on: Jun 14, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Lol, lucky for me I have no school until thursday then I'm off. Not having a life helps that too  :laugh:     If my materials hold up, I can probably get all my upgrades done this summer, and obviously in time for h'ween...my deadline's july 28th though...  :-\    lets have a race!

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #380 on: Jun 19, 2012, 08:25 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has access to CyraxLionheart in person?  Trying to get in touch with him about my bucket and I can't get him on email.  :(  :-\

In other news: trial fit pictures in the very near future.  Possibly tonight.

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #381 on: Jun 20, 2012, 02:04 AM »
So I just got back from my friends' place fixing the compressor.  Turns out that, being an engineer, he did have the highly specialized tool needed for the job.. a bigger hammer.  Got the casing opened, replaced all the wiring and cleaned her out, put it all back together and one of the funniest coincidences in a VERY long time, within seconds of us throwing the power switch to test her out the power went out for a three block area.  LOL  Power came back on a few minutes later and the compressor ran like a champ.  So yay.. I have an airbrush to play with now.

Took longer than expected though and I need to crash for the night, so maybe test fitting pictures tomorrow after work.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #382 on: Jun 20, 2012, 02:07 AM »
You ever notice that the port were the leads plug into on H-VAC compressors have the lil transformer that makes a good armour greeb?   used one for my com realy on the right earcap of my V3.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #383 on: Jun 23, 2012, 02:14 AM »
Alright, so I had to learn a few new tricks and skills since it appears that we recently misplaced our CyraxLionheart.  I picked up the project from the last update he had sent me and I think I have the new bucket model completed and unfolded, ready to assemble.  A sneak peek:

For those familiar with pepakura, that is roughly 90 parts printed over 22 LEGAL-sized pages.. I have my work cut out for me.  Or, rather, I wish I had someone to cut my work out for me :P  It is ging to be a challenge trying to keep all those parts organized and orderly through this build, but if I can get this thing together and looking like the rendering, I am going to be thrilled.

In my breaks I am also still working on reinforcing the torso armour and have the structure 90% done on the front and sides, and 50% done on the back.  I should be on to bondo and smoothing in the next few days.  I know I keep promising pics, but what can I say.. I'd rather be working than taking pics :P

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #384 on: Jun 23, 2012, 04:38 AM »
Well I'm glad that you can atleast attempt to put it together! Can't wait to see it ;D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #385 on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:25 AM »
LOL, I added like half the `damn suit to my upgrades without updating any WIPs :P

Jango Nova

• "Rust'alor"
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #386 on: Jun 23, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Good luck with your Pep man... 22 pages is a long build lol

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #387 on: Jun 24, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Good luck with your Pep man... 22 pages is a long build lol

The worst part is, it's my first time modifying a model and unfolding it.. and scaling it.   So I won't know if I screwed it up until I'm well into it.  LOL   Ah well.. here's to crossing my toes and hoping for the best :P  I think the largest build I've done so far was around 18 pages and around 80 pieces.. so this shouldn't be tooooo much more hassle as long as I unfolded everything alright.  I also have an organizing system set up to keep all my parts straight and easy to locate so once they are all cut and grooved [still using the cardboard so they have to be cut on all the folds as well] the assembly should just be a matter of time and waiting for glue to dry.

Shins/knees and gaunts should be a relatively easy affair with the design I laid out at the beginning, just wanting to wrap a couple of things up before I start on yet more parts.  I am planning on using PVC and sintra for them.  Boot armour will be fiberglass right over the [protected] boot so it is form-fitting so again, very quick and easy [in theory] to get that knocked out.  Which leaves me with a loin cloth, finish the blaster, and build a holster.  I am expecting to use Ohld Vahrt's blaster hanger idea rather than the initial plan of a holster integrated into the thigh plate.  If I am going through the trouble of making a pretty blaster, I want to show it off :P   My friend got back from his latest hitch and brought me a couple of b rass pipe fittings that would make really neat barrel ends so I may scrap my blater design and go with a different one, or I may just hang on to these and use them for a pair of blasters later... we'll have to see.

In other news, belt and pouches came in yesterday.   Well.. half of the pouches did, anyway.  There was a mix-up at the lab and the picker shorted me a set of pouches so they are shipping them out Monday.  I had them tack on three more matching belts that I figure I can cut down to use as straps for my gaunts and shins, that way it all matches and I don't have to weather the leather because it is actual milsurp WWII leather. Hooray for milsurp shops!  I keep eyeballing this canvas flare gun holster to use as a tool pouch... but then, everything else would be nice not-so-pretty leather and this one box of canvas... I think I'll just wait and get a leather one from  GreatSkyRiver Falco.  His newest offering looks almost dead on for this.  That will have to wait for a future upgrade though, given the (way-blown) budget and (hopefully not blown) time constraints.

I know, I know.. pics pics pics... not that anyone is still reading this thread or clamoring for pics of my ugly mug, but I like to think they are out there :P

[/wall of text]

Sorry about the wall of text.. I just had my first cup of coffee in two weeks and it's apparently gone straight to me head...   :o :P :-X :o

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #388 on: Jun 24, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Lol, don't go emo over all that pep work.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #389 on: Jul 02, 2012, 02:26 AM »
Alright, update time.  I have almost all of the parts for the helmet cut out and ready to start assembly.  I have also decided to cut my losses on the torso and shift directions for two reasons.  1) When I decided I didn't want the sides skin tight and added spacers, either my dummy form wasn't as tight as I thought, I've lost weight, the spacers were much bigger than they looked, or [most likely] a combination of the above.  The "breathing room" gap turned out to be so big I couldn't comfortably put my arms at my side, and with gaunts I'd have to walk gunslinger-style all day.   2) The sides are not symmetrical and I can't see them improving as I go.

So I am going to shelve the one-piece upper for a future upgrade and do this as a more traditional one piece chest with abs and a back plate, using straps between the chest and back.  I'd say that this piece works very well as a proof of concept for the pep-over-t-shirt idea and I will revisit the technique later.  I think this is a case of valid concept but flawed implementation.  In the top right picture you can see where I must have let the shirt wrinkle/wave under the first coats of resin so I ended up all wavy instead of a clean arc.

With that in mind, I have ordered a few more belts to cut down and use as the strapping so the straps will match my other leather parts and will already be weathered and ready to go.

Pictures of the soon-to-be-cut-up one-piece upper torso, for posterity sake:

Having company over all day tomorrow, so back to work Tuesday.  I'll be leaving it as one piece for a while longer to make it easier to work I think, but I'll get on a few spots that need more reinforcing then start bondo on it by mid-week.

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Torso Update - p26]
« Reply #390 on: Jul 02, 2012, 02:40 AM »
Well atleast you learned a bunch in making it  :)

I just can't wait till you get that helmet put together!

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #391 on: Jul 02, 2012, 09:03 AM »
OMG it's the canadain version of Conan O'brian!   jk jk

Well 'der ya go-you know; you could store a Camel-Pak in the recess of the back plate...

and don't be too concearned with teh torso looking like the ManBra, once you get the abs on/sculpted w/e the "ManBra" will blend in better....If you'd seen my torso plate bondo shenanigans you'd realise, lol.....

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2012, 09:08 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #392 on: Jul 02, 2012, 01:13 PM »
OMG it's the canadain version of Conan O'brian!   jk jk

Yeah.. got it gut yesterday, wasn't entirely thrilled by the comb-over she gave me but ah well.. hair is hair.

you could store a Camel-Pak in the recess of the back plate...
that was the design and purpose  :D  this sardine thinks ahead when building his can.

Well atleast you learned a bunch in making it  :)

Absolutely.  The next one will improve, and the one after that, etc..

I just can't wait till you get that helmet put together!

Then here's a teaser for ya:

all parts cut and sorted, assembly started.  I've got three whole pieces together so far!  only 87 left to go ROFL    I'm doing the horizontal ridge first to make sure the thing will fit, then I'll build the center of the dome to make sure it fits that way, then get on with it.  Try to minimize turn-around time if I didn't scale it well.  Getting the helmet done will be a huge weight off my back.. looking forward to this.

Last night while I had the torso on for those photos I also sorted out how I will be connecting the shoulder bells, so I'm a bit relieved that they will be fairly easy to attach.  I couldn't finalize that idea until I had the chest and back to test fit against.  Future reference, build the torso before the shoulders and you can form the latter to fit the former.   Hindsight is bloody obvious.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #393 on: Jul 02, 2012, 02:05 PM »
I've been palying wround with the idae of puting a trap door on the backplate of my jetpack to store a water bladder with the hose lookng like a flamethrower hose-going to chop the ends of a SS braided faucet hose and shrink-wrap it to prevent fraying, then pass teh hose through with wire pulling lube  :laugh:     And...maybe like....have it run under the side of teh vest were the rest of it will be rolled up in a belt pouch or something....idk, jsut tossin' yoou some ideas  :)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #394 on: Jul 02, 2012, 02:16 PM »
nah, no visible hoses for me on this kit.  I'll run the bladder in the backplate and run the hose under my balaclava/helmet skirt right into the bucket.  easy.

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #395 on: Jul 02, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Then here's a teaser for ya:

Okay I actualy laughed out loud at that! :P :laugh: I do not envy you in putting THAT together! :o ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #396 on: Jul 02, 2012, 04:46 PM »
Thing about teh neck seal thing is that
1:concstrict movment/feel wierd and stuff
2: how are you gonna access it withing the helmet?...

Bubba D. Fett

• I reject your canon and substitute my own!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #397 on: Jul 09, 2012, 01:18 AM »
After seeing what Zophar has done so far in person, this is gonna be a sick kit when all is said and done

Krayt Clan - MMCC:485 - MAJIC:032 - MA:030 - MAD:001 - EMTS:047 - Graphics Guru - 40 Invasions

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #398 on: Jul 09, 2012, 01:37 AM »
After seeing what Zophar has done so far in person, this is gonna be a sick kit when all is said and done

Thanks Bubba.  Along those lines, my mom used to have a saying which is awfully fitting for this weekend: "When all is said and done, more is always said than done."  LOL  I didn't get any real work done, but the affirmation from you vode was worth a LOT.  I'm very glad to hear that you folks liked where I was going with it and I'm looking forward to getting more work into it this week now.

For those who weren't there this weekend at the CK armor party, I unveiled my mk2 bucket:

Fiberglassing starts tomorrow.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

Re: Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [MK2 Helmet Unveiling - p27]
« Reply #399 on: Jul 09, 2012, 08:06 AM »
Imight bring that fin bakc a bit so it sticks out towards the back a bit like a clone trooper helmet, looks damn good though  :D

You should paint the protruding mandible to look like tusks or soemthing....not walrus style, but slightly mytho style maybe....or fangs...idk

watching my early mornign cartoons and i got an idea(jk, I don;t watch TV anymore.....unless the TWD is on(the walking dead)
you could easily dubb the old 70s Scooby-Doo intro with like..."Cyrax lionhart were-are you, we''ve got some work to do now..............zophar needs that helmet so he'll be raedy for an attack"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!