Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [Index in first post]

• 672 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
bah.   I forgot to liberate a box of gloves from work yesterday and just ran out so I'll have to run to wally world for a pack of overpriced latex ones.  Shame to waste the money, but I have a whole weekend free, it would be more of a waste to not get them.  I've been at it since the crack of dawn.  Back plate has it's second coat of cloth and is now ready for separation and bondo.  Helmet has four of the five coats of resin for the gelcoat and will get glassed this afternoon.  All materials for the legs are in my possession and I started cutting them out.  I'm just waiting on a heat gun to form them.  I'll hopefully be grabbing some sintra from Talren some time in the next week to use with the PVC bases I have here to sculpt the gaunts.  All soft parts acquired, that leaves boot plates to design/form [and possibly spats to go with them] and finish up what I already have working.. I may make CVI yet... maybe not as an OM, but quite possibly kitted out in something of good enough quality that I won't be embarrassed to wear it.   Perhaps.  I have also reserved all next weekend for working on the kit; told friends and family I'll be out of town camping, then the trip got canceled.. and I "forgot" to tell anyone that little part.  Two whole weekends to myself and my kit.  Progress shall be made.

Also, over 7000 views?  Thanks, vode.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Hoo hoo sounds like Mr. Ptay is gunna have some FUN!

7000 views, 426 replys (including this one), and 29 pages! That's impresive, "MOST impresive"  :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
yeah, well.. most of it is banter and non-updates... in hindsight it would have been better to leave the thread for pics and take the chatter elsewhere, but oh well.   I may throw together a photo-only WIP when it is all said and done with the full progression of build images, leaving out all of the abandoned forks so that hopefully it could be of use to someone interested in trying this technique without having to wade through 20 pages of noise to find the 6 pages of info.  We'll see.   I have two other kits to get together after this one; another Late Crusader and a Legacy.. Maybe I'll leave this one as is and learn from my mistakes moving on.  It's tough doing something so out of the ordinary as a first time kit (first costume ever, first Mando design, and first time doing any fiberglass or pep work) so I've been a bit needy on the input making sure I am staying on the reservation with it.  I may be tapdancing on concertina wire, but I think I'm still technically on the reservation :P  In the future I'll be more sure of my footing I think.  And part of it is that I am still so new to this that I keep wanting to share every little thing which you ode have seen a hundred times, I'm sure.  Anyway, last of the reinforcing on the upper torso and the last of the gelcoat in the bucket are setting up now.  Lunch break while they cure then I can start in on the cloth layers inside the bucket. I'll likely call it a night at that point and start on the bondo work tomorrow, but we'll see.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
I've been in your position before.....but I only sleep 3hours a night so I may put waay too much thought into what to do on the 'gam....like putting an explosive dart launcher on the helmet "He can stare a man to death" well so can I...

Have you put much thought into armour-integrated weapons yet?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
Have you put much thought into armour-integrated weapons yet?

I have, and they won't be on this kit.  My wife's likely will have extensive integrated weapon systems and some heavy weaponry [a gatling with rotating barrels is in the plans] but I don't have that kind of thing in this kit's future.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
I have a rotating gatling gun on my V$ right gauntlet  ;D      well, if I can get the motor glued onto the base/frame thing >.<

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
oh no... I'm thinking Jaro-style gatling.  *wicked Grin*  My V2 may be a heavy weapons loadout, I have so many ideas for fun toys... but this kit's heaviest might eventually be a carbine.  Anything heavier just doesn't fit the concept I have in mind for Zophar.

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

I see.....everythiong on my armour/pieces of armour have a weapoonised purpose  :rolleyes:

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
I've been messing with some PVC pipe to make my leg pieces between coats of resin and bondo and realized that using the heat gun to bend and curve as I am, getting the pair to lok the same will be nigh impossible.  Solution?  mould one with the heat gun and use that one as a plug to lay resin and glass over.  Result should be two identical legs.  Lets hope my legs are symmetrical.  No pics yet, but hey.. too busy working.  Helmet is getting noticeably close to finished.  Lots of little divots and such to work out yet, but man is it coming together.  weather is supposed to be bad this weekend, maybe I'll get some pics in then.

We leave for CVI in 5 weeks... the timer is running.

Late Crusader WIP

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
That Helmet rocks. . .

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Dresdon Acacin

My deadline is...(checks watch) 9 days.  :o

Good progress though. I suggest making both legs out of fiberglass, the PVC one will undoubtably behave differantly than the fiberglass one ...

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
That Helmet rocks. . .

Thanks vod :D

I suggest making both legs out of fiberglass, the PVC one will undoubtably behave differantly than the fiberglass one ...

Obviously.

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
I went to a CK armor party this past weekend and got a lot of wok done on the bucket.  It's really starting to take shape.  I'll get some pictures up in another day or two when I get a nice day outside to take them, but to hold you over, here is a side-by-side of a 1:1, an MDSB XL, and my bucket for size comparison:

Late Crusader WIP

amouro

I like your helmet a lot. reminds me a bit of the helmets from an old anime called super dimensional cavalry southern cross

Dresdon Acacin

Looks good, the mandibles remind me kind of the teeth on a mytho skull.....  :rolleyes:

I hadn't realized how beefy that helmet is until you did a side by side. :P 
 This kit is really starting to take shape.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
Nothing like a coat of primer for a demoralizing reality check.  I had thought that maybe I was getting close enough to think about paint this weekend.  I was wrong. :P  It is certainly coming along, but not that well, clearly.  I had left the mandibles for last intentionally, so I has expected those to need a good bit more work, the rest is getting there...  must.  work.  faster.  maybe my boss will let me call in sick for the next four weeks??  The CVI deadline is looking less and less possible.  I just don't have the time required to put into this for that timeline it seems.   Ah well, it was a goal, not the end of the world.  I can, at least, have a killer bucket to show off, at the very least... :D

Current state of affairs:

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

Oh.....you must sleep...take a lesson from Dresdon here, who hasn't slept in over 72hours. You are wasting like 9 hours sleeping! you could have all that sanding done in 9 hours of work!     COME ON, MAN!             

FAQ: Dresdon, are you insane, or on something?
ANSWER: Yes, I am completly insane-I needn't any pick-me-ups.

I spent 6 hours last night messin around with placement, components,, ect. in my own helmet, and now I will quite likely make my deadline(saturday and sunday Sci-Fi convention) because I gave up sleep.

C'mon vod, SAND THAT HELMET, I SAY-SAND!

flip through some KotOR comics for motivation if a kick in the shebs won't do it  ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2012, 08:56 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
Re: Zophar Ptay - Late Crusader Engineer [bucket update - p30]
« Reply #443 on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:57 PM »
sleeping isn't nearly as much of a time sink as working is....

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #444 on: Jul 25, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I hear 'ya there vod

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #445 on: Aug 05, 2012, 12:14 AM »
suc'coy, vode!  I haven't run yet, I've just been less anxious to post every little detail now that I have had to admit that I can't finish this in time for CVI.  I've been taking it slower, getting things done correctly rather than rushing a deadline I'll regret, and catching up on some social life that I passed up on in my mad rush.  Work is progressing nicely though and here's a wee spoiler as proof:

The dome is almost perfectly smooth and the mandibles are coming along.   There are some spots here and there, but it's coming along.  The stripes you see are where I finished the channels then filled them with weather stripping so they wouldn't get ruined.  The weather stripping will come out before I paint and it should look pretty good.

also, went to Salvation Army today looking for some summer clothes for the Orlando trip and found these, couldn't pass them up:

yes, you read that right.  $3 each.  I don't know what I'll do with them yet, but how could I say no?

Late Crusader WIP

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #446 on: Aug 05, 2012, 12:34 AM »
Pretty good price on the blasters, those are like $11.99 new-you put batteries in them yet?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #447 on: Aug 05, 2012, 12:38 AM »
nah.  one rattles quite a bit when I shake it, I'm assuming the electronics are broken but didn't bother testing them.

Late Crusader WIP

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #448 on: Aug 05, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Awesome, good find, great price !!

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #449 on: Aug 05, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Probably just part of the trigger. Before you go putting bondo on them, I suggest opening them up to investigate. The orange barrel parts light  up fance colours-worst case scenario you could put shiny tubes in them or some of them wooden dowels that look like DC-15 barrels.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!