Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

What material for Jango vest? Where can I buy leather or pleather?

• 9 Replies

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I want a medium-shade brown Jango-style vest that looks similar to his in material.  What materials would you recommend to get a similar look?

Obviously leather is #1.  I don't know where to buy it, especially in a local store.

I would assume pleather is #2, but I've never owned anything pleather.  I don't know if I could get the same look as leather, or if it'd be overly glossy or thin & "flowy".  I don't know who sells this either.

What's the next best material for acheiving a rugged, duty/combat quality appearance?

Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread
Where do you live? I'm sure there is a store that sells fabrics or a craft store somewhere close.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I live in Jacksonville, FL.  We have a large Jo Anns, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels.  While I wasn't specifically looking for leather/pleather in Jo Anns, I do not recall seeing any when I was shopping for other materials.  I was wondering if there were any known chain-stores or online stores to carry a selection of these fabrics at reasonable prices.

Thank you!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
You can normally find some Leather on Ebay pretty cheap. in a load of sizes and colourers. the Whole / half Hides are normally a good way to go as you end up with extra leather for accessory’s . 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
Thank you for the advice on the whole/half leather hides.  Does anyone have experience purchasing leather for sewing?  I don't know what type of thickness or how the flexibility is judged.  I'm sure I can find this somewhere online with some research, but it'd be great if someone's already researched this for this specific use.

I'd prefer to use my wife's everyday sewing machine (with a strong needle & thread of course), so a thinner/flexible material would be best.

Thank you!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
I used my normal sewing machine for making my leather goods. Just make sure you have Leather needles and take it slow (esp on multiple layer parts)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
I went to Jo Anns and found several selections of vinyl/polyurethane pleather.  They had some thin stuff in the fabrics, but the thicker, smooth leather looking stuff was in the Upholstery section.  They were pretty pricey, but I managed to find some reasonably priced stuff online.  Going to Jo Anns helped me see the differences in types of vinyl & pleather though.

Tandy Leather is where i go to find leathers they have full hides all the way out to exotics as well as quarters and smaller sizes. most of it maybe thick like saddle leather but you can find furniture leathers as well there.

best bet would be to go to a thrift store and look for leather skirts. they usually run about 12.00 bucks each and places like goodwill or salvation army and smaller stores you can get a used leather couch for 50-60 bucks on craigslist and strip the material. it will still be cheaper than getting new clothing quality leather from a retail store

as far as the needles and thread use heavy duty needles for the leather and canvas. the thread- i use marine grade nylon threads much stronger than the cotton and silk threads and both are used on the normal brothers or singer machines. and as said before go very slow on the machine they say the needles are heavy duty but they will bind and break if you work too fast.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
not trying to fish, but for 140 shipped, i know someone that can make you a leather vest.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!