Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting my WOF scratchbuild - WIP

• 51 Replies

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
Starting my WOF scratchbuild - WIP
« on: Oct 08, 2011, 03:29 PM »
So I'm just about ready to pick up some posterboard and start my paper sizing bucket to figure out all my templates.  I just have a few things that I'm not totally sure about.

I've read somewhere that the WOF templates are meant to be used with 3mm Sintra.  From all the scratch builds I've seen people are just fiber glassing the whole thing, so that never really comes up.  Is that true and applicable to the bucket (not the dome of course)?

I want to figure that out before I really get into this build because I've got a slightly different route for a scratch build than what most take.

I mentioned this in my initial armor planning thread, but one of my many responsibilities at my last job was as an engraver tech on a cnc table engraver.  I plan on using engraveable stock (plastic) and autocad to cut out all my pieces for perfect fits and custom design elements.  This is why I care what the templates are sized for because I'll be loading them into autocad and converting them into cut patterns.

After I make my paper templates and figure out sizing I'll give you guys pictures and talk about my design ideas.

Phelan Jusik

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Starting my WOF scratchbuild - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2011, 03:50 PM »
I dont think it matters if you use 3mm sintra or just paper.  The fiberglass is used to strengthen the over all helmet.  I have seen some use cardboard for the faceplate.  I might suggest you print the WOF templates a bit larger then 100%.  When I did print them at 100% on 8x10 paper, I found that my nose was in the visor area and the helmet was very tight.

M5: #22
B.E.A.R.D.S. #052

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2011, 08:32 PM »
I dont think it matters if you use 3mm sintra or just paper.  The fiberglass is used to strengthen the over all helmet.  I have seen some use cardboard for the faceplate.  I might suggest you print the WOF templates a bit larger then 100%.  When I did print them at 100% on 8x10 paper, I found that my nose was in the visor area and the helmet was very tight.

I'm definitely expecting to set it bigger than 100 percent, I'll test it a few times to see.

I'm not sure you picked up on my plan.  I'm not building it out of paper and fiberglass.  I'm going to be making it out of a heat formable plastic with precision cut pieces all glued together.  I'll still use fiberglass and bondo for strengthening and finishing, but it will be much more precise than paper and a lot stronger.  This is why I care what the templates were designed for.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2011, 09:10 PM »
I have never heard that they were meant to be used with sintra at all. the easiest way to get your size right is to print out the templates, make them from paper, then see were you need to re-size them to make them fit. If you are loading them into AUTOCAD, then re-sizing should be easy.

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2011, 09:33 PM »
I have never heard that they were meant to be used with sintra at all. the easiest way to get your size right is to print out the templates, make them from paper, then see were you need to re-size them to make them fit. If you are loading them into AUTOCAD, then re-sizing should be easy.

What I recall reading may be from some armor templates.

Actually, I think I know what I was thinking of.  I think the ear cap templates may have been intended for the 3mm sintra and those parts are small enough that it makes a difference.

You are right on for how easy re sizing will be in Autocad.  I'm following exactly what you said, I'll be checking sizing with the paper parts first but I want fitment of the cut parts to be dead on for a clean bucket.  There shouldn't need to be a whole lot of bondo on the outside, which is good for strength overall.  I want it to be built mostly out of the plastic and fiberglass for support on the inside.  I'll be making the bucket slightly over sized on purpose with the intention of the fg going on the inside.  I want to be one of those guys with a buy'ce strong enough to stand on :).

Phelan Jusik

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Will have to see a pic of you standing on your bucket.  ;D I do understand how you want to build it.
From all the scratch builds I've seen people are just fiber glassing the whole thing.

I was attempting to answer why it seems everyone is fg.  If i didn't make it sound clear all my fault  ;). Sounds like you have put alot of thought into this build good luck vod.

M5: #22
B.E.A.R.D.S. #052

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2011, 11:57 PM »
Will have to see a pic of you standing on your bucket.  ;D I do understand how you want to build it.
I was attempting to answer why it seems everyone is fg.  If i didn't make it sound clear all my fault  ;). Sounds like you have put alot of thought into this build good luck vod.

Yeah I gotcha, just wasn't sure if you picked up on my plan.  Sometimes its hard to give people a good idea on what you're thinking through text on a forum.

This is why threads are worthless if they never bring pics :).

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Alright, necroing my own thread.

Life got in the way, but I just got home with my pack of card stock to start printing the WOF templates out.  I'll be taking my time and playing with sizing a lot and then I'll be hitting the engraver with my heat bendable plastic (not sintra).

I stopped by the engraver supply store yesterday and a big sheet of my material for this is in the mail.  Probably will arrive Tuesday next week.  I hope to have my sizing figured out by then so I can go ahead and start the cutting process for all my bucket pieces. 

Time to go upstairs and set up my newer printer for this job.  The journey starts today.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Good luck.

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Good Luck, cant wait to see some pics !!!

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

wthrgssr75

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:03 PM »
I'm using WOF templates on my build also, but I'm using .020 aluminum. Everything is coming out fine for me. I used the large so that I can roll crimp the edges to keep from cutting anyone.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2012, 01:59 AM »
I'm using WOF templates on my build also, but I'm using .020 aluminum. Everything is coming out fine for me. I used the large so that I can roll crimp the edges to keep from cutting anyone.

I've considered using aluminum, I have some .050" stuff for my engraver, but I haven't worked with metal very much before.  I also wasn't sure it would really be an advantage to have a metal bucket at this point.  With plastic/fiberglass I can modify and shape so much easier going forward.

I might switch and build a new bucket out of metal down the road once I really know what I want after having done it before.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Alright dome is finally all together.  I take so long on this but I think the end results will be worth it.  The shape is really solid here.

Cell phone pics, for this stage they do just fine.  I'll get out the real camera when the intense fun begins.

I think the size is probably right on the money too.  I printed this out standard size, no adjustments.  I'll go ahead and assemble the entire bucket from templates and see and small changes that need made from there, then I'll go ahead and FG this bad boy while I'm at it.  I definitely decided that I'll complete this version of the bucket as well as my engraver made bucket.  The supplies are just sitting on a shelf, so why not.

Back to work, hopefully the rest won't take nearly as long as the dome section.  Precision cutting and folding that part had so many steps.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:57 PM »
*Snip*
Back to work, hopefully the rest won't take nearly as long as the dome section.  Precision cutting and folding that part had so many steps.

Maybe, but it's the part that most people do the worst at.  It looks good.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Maybe, but it's the part that most people do the worst at.  It looks good.

Thanks, I think it turned out really well.

I put together the form sections, but now I'm not completely sure how to proceed. 

The inner surface doesn't extend all the way from the dome to the bottom, only the outer pieces do.  What is the point of how those go together then?

Same type of thing with the cheek sections.  Why is there an inner and outer piece.  The outer piece is the one that fits the shape, so what do I do with the backplate?  Is it just to make it so that the upper curved cheek section has a little niche to attach to more easily?

I'm not going to worry about the ear caps now.  I'll FG the rest of the bucket and build those later.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!