Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ski boots...(pics to come later)

• 8 Replies

Lyat'aag

• Looking for my first "iron skin".
Ski boots...(pics to come later)
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:14 PM »
unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera of my own, so when I get a chance to borrow a friend's I'll try to get something for you guys to look at. But for now, does anyone have any experience/insight/thoughts on using ski boots?

I bought a pair at Salvation Army because they looked promising, but I'm still planning on checking out the army surplus before everything is said and done. One of the key advantages of the ski boots is that they come equipped with a plastic cover for the laces (presumably to keep snow out of your shoes). They need to be colored and have the logos dremeled or covered, obviously, but they are still ski boots and are designed to lock your ankles so you can't walk freely (not to mention the soles are thin and pretty rectangular).

Any thoughts/hints/suggestions are welcome.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Ski boots...(pics to come later)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:34 PM »
they are still ski boots and are designed to lock your ankles so you can't walk freely (not to mention the soles are thin and pretty rectangular).

This is the downfall to your plan. Trooping is a ton of walking. The coolness of the costume kind of falls apart when you start clunking around like a toddler.

EDIT: Maybe you can cut them up and use them as boot coverings somehow? Seems like a lot of work though... My main point is that you'll probably want to look elsewhere for boots.

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2011, 03:47 PM by Ref Al'drann » Logged

BedlamX

• Reconciler
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:08 PM »
You will hate yourself if you wear that type of boot to troop in. I wear motorcross boots and they are about as stiff as you can get and still be relatively comfortable when walking. One of these days, I will probably ditch them for something much more flexible to give my feet some relief (and I love the look of my boots, by the way...and still thinking of getting rid of them).

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Kazya Rembrea

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:32 PM »
I'm a skier, and I'm warning you now, you DON'T want to troop in ski boots. They're not comfortable for walking at all. Don't do it.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Not to mention, you step on any slick surface, and you are going DOWN!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Lyat'aag

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I considered modifying them to make them more flexible, but seems like army surplus would be a better investment of time and money.

In any case, the cover for the laces was what excited me probably the most because they look to me very much to be of the same style as the ones I see Jango wear. Maybe I can pull the cover/guard off the ski boots and rig them up on some combat boots from the army surplus.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:54 PM »
If you just take the shell (top and back) and mod those to fit over some boots, that could be cool...

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:40 AM »
I used a pair of ski boots for my brothers kit that I threw together for SDCC09. By used I mean I dremeled out the soles and seperated the foot cover from the shin cover. Then cleaned them up and painted. Once properly modded, they are great for armoring boots. You can also check out in the Neo Crusader/ Crusader area the Mandalor the Ultimate build by.... just click these link to see how he used them for his build. It continues on pages 18 through 20.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=11729.255

One thing I wanted to note is you have to take your time when cutting out the sole from the skiboots, the plastic in them can get rather think in some spots and claimed one of my dremels when I was first working on them.

Have a good one,
Hagen

Lyat'aag

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:23 PM »
That looks great. You said it was good for Neo Crusader/Crusader armor, do you think it would also work for a Modern set? That was more the look I was going for.

My boots are built slightly differently than your's. I can't quite tell from the images exactly how you cut the ankles on your's to make them flex freely, but I can tell that my boots strap together differently. I'll see if I can get some pictures of them soon so you know what I'm talking about.

Wish I had a camera of my own. That would make all this a lot easier.

Also, I guess you have combat boots or something underneath?

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2011, 02:26 PM by Lyat'aag » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!