Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anyone ever tried armored belt?

• 7 Replies

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
Anyone ever tried armored belt?
« on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:27 AM »
So I stumbled across this and thought it would be easy enough to copy the idea to make a Mando armored belt.

http://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Sequent-Metal-Stretch-Strap/dp/B0050XM15Y/ref=pd_sbs_a53

I would make it wider, probably use a 3" wide elastic strip for the base.  Then using this sheeting cut out a whole bunch of small identicle armor plates with tabs that fold around to grip to the elastic.  Attach them to the elastic so they overlap and all you ever see is the armored pieces.

My only concern would be the ability to hold up weight, so perhaps don't even use elastic but copy the armor plate idea.  Just use a plain leather belt instead.

JR

• Jaro Ramikad
Re: Anyone ever tried armored belt?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:48 AM »
If you try this, I would suggest using old metal or painting then weathering it. Nothing in Star Wars looks that new and shiny, at least not on a Mandalorian Mercenary. But as long as the Approval Team is OK with it, I think this is a cool idea!  ;)

WIP: www.goo.gl/WhPpc
Helmet 50/50% www.goo.gl/fHFE0
Soft Parts 70% www.goo.gl/hSMyM
Armor 75% www.goo.gl/JTtNO
Gaunts 100% www.goo.gl/NvRA6
Weapons 85% www.goo.gl/7JEef
Backpack 50% www.goo.gl/0CwLn
Droid 20% www.goo.gl/yisvW

"Nan utreekove ber, kisol kyrayc." : www.goo.gl/zXZBx

My website: http://novothule.com

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:24 PM »
If you try this, I would suggest using old metal or painting then weathering it. Nothing in Star Wars looks that new and shiny, at least not on a Mandalorian Mercenary. But as long as the Approval Team is OK with it, I think this is a cool idea!  ;)

Yeah I don't mean to use anything that will look like the same finish as that product, just using that as an example for the concept.

I would use the plastic pieces that I would make and paint them to match the rest of the armor.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2011, 12:31 AM »
if you look around on ebay you can find metal tags. I would use the metal tags and layer them into a scalemail style plate. Be warned that while it seems simple enough, layering metal in such a way to make it bend is not as easy as you would think. I make chainmail, platemail and scalemail. I teach a class and 80% had no ideal it would be that hard.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2011, 05:37 PM »
if you look around on ebay you can find metal tags. I would use the metal tags and layer them into a scalemail style plate. Be warned that while it seems simple enough, layering metal in such a way to make it bend is not as easy as you would think. I make chainmail, platemail and scalemail. I teach a class and 80% had no ideal it would be that hard.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into it. 

Any other specific challenges to this that I should look out for?

Dar'manda

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:52 PM »
it all depends on how big/wide the belt is and how big/wide the plates are. start on a leather belt. start in the center then each end. go slow and take your time.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:40 PM »
it all depends on how big/wide the belt is and how big/wide the plates are. start on a leather belt. start in the center then each end. go slow and take your time.

Thanks, I'll do that.  The one I found was elastic but I'm sure using something that doesn't flex would be easier.  I need to figure out a leather belt that can buckle in a way that I can work into the design.

Dar'manda

« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Thanks, I'll do that.  The one I found was elastic but I'm sure using something that doesn't flex would be easier.  I need to figure out a leather belt that can buckle in a way that I can work into the design.
you might think its funny, but velcro works well for that.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!