Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ajax Kaal - (Fun) Late Crusader WIP - new pics on page 2

• 26 Replies

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Well, I guess it is time to start the WIP for my start to building a late era crusader.

After about nine months or so of research and pouring over the ref pics and wookieepedia, and various other sites along with some feedback from a mando member (thanks again Seugtai for being a soundboard), I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and see about building my next kit.

First off I love this era as it allows a ton of freedom in creating a mando kit and I love the personality and individual expression shown during this era. This era is one of the mando's most prestigious and glory filled times in galactic history and I love some of the kits shown from this era, so here goes.

Here are the basic concept pics, sorry about the poor quality as i can't draw very well and can't seem to draw what's in my head, so I did what I could.

I'm going to use a black flight suit for the soft parts.
The main armor is shown in grey, it will be a hard plate like base. I plan on doing the EVA foam mat route for this build. I plan on hardening it per the CRL info and guidance from the app team information. I will heat form the main armor pieces and then build upon them and then harden them adding in details and such as I go. I plan on using leather and heavy strapping for the armor plates to strap onto me.

The color armor plates will be added on top of the grey armor base and will be hard pieces as well. I want a built up, layered look to the armor and think this will give a very cool result. I plan on using different thicknesses of foam to add dimension to the kit. The shin and knees will be built into one unit. They will be distinct and seperate, but built and attached to each other to be one unit.

I want the shoulders to be assymetrical and not the same. My right one will be smaller as that side is my firing side. My left one will be bigger as it is my sigil and family color side or such. I do plan on having bicep armor as well.

The final gauntlet design is not set in stone yet, but I want a layered look. Haven't decided on if anything will be on top of them like weapons or anything. A bunch of the mandos in this era don't have weapons on them, they are more of a hard bracer. So, not sure yet...

The crotch armor will be a soft armor like a biker scout or Vader. I plan on sewing it in the form of a padded/quilted look like a lot of the mando's have during this era.

I plan on having a belt with leather pouches deal, the one shown is just for a ref, and not indicative of the final product. It's a placeholder of sorts... I'm thinking of trying to do a hard built in holster on my right thigh to hold a pistol blaster, but haven't figured out the details yet and haven't made the blaster pistol yet, so not sure on final design yet.

I want a hose going from the chest to the jetpack/backpack combo as it is pretty prevalent during the era to have hoses.

Speaking of the jetpack/backpack...

This is pretty much what I am going to be shooting to build. Again sorry for not having mutliple views, but it will be built up in layers. The white main body with jet nozzles will be against my back. Then the light grey will be built up on top of it. As you can see the chest hose will connect to a unit on the left side. I will have a helmet hose connect on the right side and will be seen in the other ref pic for showing the back. Again, not sure if this will be permantently a part of the back plate or if it will be detachable. Thinking detachable, but again, not 100% sure yet...

The helmet design is going to be based on a skater helmet as the base and build and layer on it to build up the helmet. I'm going to use the EVA foam to form all the base parts to include the helmet low hawk that is shown. I will glass over the whole assembly to make it look as one unit and to cover over seams and such. I'll have to have a custom visor made to go behind the TT design. (Thanks Seugtai for the push to go that direction, versus my original idea.) Again, the final look is not set, but this is pretty much what I'm going for. I don't have a side view as I can't seem to draw what I want and I don't have the final design of side pieces set in stone yet. So, I will decide on that during the build.

Here is another shot of the whole back deal...

As you can see, there will be a built up area on the back of the helmet to attach a hose to. It will go from the helmet to the pack as shown in the pic. Disregard the lack of strapping or armor showing on this one, this drawing was to focus on the helmet to backpack and how the backpack will look on the torso.

As for the overall colors, the grey of the base plates, is going to be a medium to dark grey. The blue is going to be a medium to darker blue than shown, while the light blue I want to do a metallic light blue of sorts. What I see in my head is literally a bare metal color with a light blue tint to it. The yellow and green are to add some color and flair, I don't have the back story on that yet.

I will add in small details and such as I go and have most of the strapping and attaching points figured out. As usual, I'll add in pics as I get stuff done and worked on.

Still haven't figured out a blaster rifle/carbine design yet.

Well, at least this is the idea and concepts, we'll see how well I can execute it. Wish me luck! :-)

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 08:45 PM by Ajax Kaal » Logged
Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Ajax Kaal - Late Crusader WIP - concept art and info
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2011, 03:49 AM »
 Glad to see another late crusader in the works.  I had a helmet design very similar to that one in my early planning, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it.    Good luck!

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2011, 07:27 AM »
YAY! -happy dance-
You know I love it and I can not wait to watch your progress and see it take shape! ;D

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Nice design, it will be interesting to see come along.

One note on the EVA foam... there is a CRL addendum stickied post on top of the armor planning area... EVA foam is no longer allowed in any capacity.

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Ummm, I've looked at all the CRL's, including the new one dated October 12th, and there is nothing that says that EVA foam can not be used for armor building, so I'm confused....I also know that Ithaca's Dolob Mendo Crusader era mando got approved and his is made from EVA foam with a resin coat on top of it....could I please get some clarification. I'm not trying to be a pain, but Ive been researching this build for around 9 months and have pored over the CRL's and again, there is nothing that says that EVA foam can not be used. I just reread all the CRL"s again, and can't find anything that says that it can't be used...???

The information he talks about with his kit, is that the foam has to be covered with a hard coating, which is the plan. The foam will be formed and made as the base, with additions on top, then the whole thing will be glassed over to harden it up. I don't want soft armor, but the base is fantastic for details and the thickness needed to do a kit from this era.

Please respond asap, as I was about to physically begin building this kit...

Thanks.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:15 PM »
here is the post.  In case I linked it wrong, it is reply number four of the stickied thread mentioned above.  Posting from my phone, apologies for being terse.

Late Crusader WIP

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Zophar, thanks for highlighting the response....I see it in the link your provided. Part of the issue is that I read the CRL, not the thread. I look to the CRL to be the official guide and don't always go to the thread. That is where my confusion came from....

As an idea, I would highly suggest that they update the official CRL's with this information and not leave it in the thread alone.

So from my understanding then, this kit will never be approved if built from EVA foam, thus can not be accepted as an official kit? I already have an official approved kit as it stands. I know that some have built second kits that don't meet crl's and the kits are not allowed to be used for "official" mercs events, correct?

If so, I could still do the build, but understand that it will never make official status and knowing that, do the build for fun, and just not seek approved status, correct?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :-)

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 02:44 PM by Ajax Kaal » Logged
Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:51 PM »
You can make it a just for fun kit.  My wife's recently denied second kit is now a just for fun kit for her.  It was denied on an element that was core to the concept, that we're not willing (and due to the material it's made from, not able, as the stitch holes would still be visible) to change to meet the suggestions.  Granted, she's not 100% happy with the comfort of that particular piece, so we may re-apply if we ever remake that portion.

I like EVA, and I've worked with it, and it's easy to work with, and you can probably make it work properly, but that addendum was made to catch those that CAN'T make it work properly and WON'T take the time to do it right.

I don't know if it would pass, (Falin will probably clarify), but a workaround where you make the base form with EVA and then build up a fiberglass (mat AND resin) plate on it might work.  I would view that as the EVA being backing (which is allowed) rather than an armor base (which isn't)  Essentially it's a proper fiberglass plate with EVA interior, but again, don't take this as gospel.

Even inconvenient rules are there for a reason, and are understandable if you take the time to think like the lazy half-shebs that the rules are made to stop.  A sufficiently skilled costumer can make any material work, and work within the rules with only a little extra effort applied to it.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I would say worst case, make your eva kit sms use the eva plates as the plug to cast a fiberglass-and-gel-coat final product if it came down to that...

Late Crusader WIP

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I see what you are saying Orikad, but I need guidance to know if I use EVA at all in the build, it will be disqualified for approval. The whole intent is to fiberglass the whole armor parts to make them solid as a rock in the first place. I don't just want foam on my body, that wouldn't look good for what I want to build.

The whole intent is that the foam base, is just that, a base to apply the resin and glass to to make it hard and like armor. I want a hard facing which will be the armor part, and in essence the foam becomes a backing. I don't want any soft crap showing or being exposed. I want hard armor, but have a lot of intricate details and such that are going to be done with the build to really make it look as best as it can. I don't want to just form the foam and then paint and that's it, that would suck in my opinion. I want it hard and tough, like armor should be.

Yep, I understand the reasoning for the rule, it is to keep it from just being soft armor and not really armor at all, and just using the foam and that's it, which was never my intent in the first place. I also understand it is to keep lazy people from making half butt armor. It is just such a cool base to work with, and it has to be hardened in order to be good. Hopefully, they will take into account, the literal months of planning and consideration that I have already done, plus take into account my first build and my intent to always make the best that I can, because I know it reflects directly on me and on the club. I love this club and it was the reason I got into doing my own armor in the first place.

Thanks for the input. :-) and I need to see what they say. 

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Hey Ajax,

The rule came down, not from someone's misuse of the material but, because of another's attempt to discredit the use of the material and integrity of another member. I it's a sealed investigation that names names and resulted in heavy disciplinary actions by the club as a result of. So, I can't reallys ay too much about it.

However, as a result of said investigation this rule has come down which is why it was added to the addendum page, a thread Ruus'alors should check frequently  8). Basically, making changes to the CRL's themselves involve significant discussion and while trying to keep the wording tight and not making the CRL's, which are a bit hard to navaigate as they stand, too much more difficult to understand, we instituted the addendums a year or so ago. It is a place where we can effectively put up "emergency" rule changes due to discovered loopholes, for the pro or con.

Essentially, the App Team and Council were VERY leery of Ithica's original idea to use the EVA. However, he was given the opportunity to show us what he could do and he did good work. Enough to convince us.

Our initial concerns, which still exist, are...
1. EVA foam alone, unless it's sanded smooth, has a visible texture to it. The texture is a dead give away to the material. That was a big concern for us as most, if not all of the EVA foam costumes we had seen we're readily identifiable by sight because of the texture, the extreme thickness or/and the creases as bend point.
2. Even when coated with a resin or fiberglass, this is something tested by Saz and discovered by Ithica, the EVA foam flexes and the resin does not. It's like putting Bondo on ABS plastic. The ABS will bend and flex, the Bondo won't and the end result is cracking damage. The same happens with the EVA foam. The only way to eliminate this is to impregnate rather than coat or put an extremely thick/heavy coat on over the EVA which segways into the next issue...
3. The general thickness of EVA foam. EVA foam is very thick. Personally speaking, I think it is too thick for it's typical applications in HALO, GOW and other serial costuming Ive seen it used on. It's so thick the illusion of armor is almost killed because it's the thickness of tank armor plating. The EVA foam I have seen used in costuming, and I am certain it comes ina  variety of thicknesses like anything else, is 2-3 times thicker than the thickest PVC and 6MM sintra plates used within this club. One thing about Mandalorian armor, as displayed in canon sources and the only physical sources we have ever gotten from LFL (Boba and Jango Fett) it's pretty thin, especially compared to it's protective ability.
4. This is the real kicker, what the investigation was about and what really set in stone the decision to not allow it... the App Team has no way to validate the claimed work has been done to it. While this can certainly happen with any material, EVA foam can very easily, without even having an attempt to do so, "hide" it's make up in lighting, things that stand out in person. If the armor is coated, it can't really be proved or disproved by app pix. If it's not coated, again, it can't really be proved or disproved. Detail high rex photo's or/ad physical examination are the only ways to verify.

So essentially, it's a matter of it's more administrative hassle to allow it than it is worth when there are a great variety of other allowable materials out there to use.

As far as a backing... if it's used as a backing, it shoudl essentially be used for what it was designed for... padding. Not structure. Have a set of knee's you can actually kneel in, but it's uncomfortable, put some EVA back there for comfort not so much build the knee over the EVA foam. As far as using it for an armor building base, it's fairly unstable for resin coating. Materials that will suck up the resin and create better stability are better suited.

A costume could be made from it and could be worn to open events. But, constructed from EVA foam, it would not be an approvable costume for the club and would not be allowable to wear at official events.

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Falin, thank you very much for the indepth information, that I was missing. I knew of the thread, and realized it was there for just that situation which was to put out information, without doing the whole CRL change and what you said makes sense, in that regards. I just didn't realize they had put in the addendum in regards to EVA, that's my bust.

Thanks for the information on the case, and for not revealing anything in regards to it, it is not necessary and you highlighted the issues very well while maintaining the integrity of the situation, that speaks very highly for the club leadership and I appreciate the ability to respond without violating integrity, very cool.

Yep, I understand about the texture bit and agree, I didn't want to use the textured side, for the reason you highlighted, it looks like foam, lol.

Yep, I saw the information about the testing of resining that side, my plan was to actually fiberglass the whole deal, all sides to include the back, just for that reason. To try and avoid the whole flexing deal. I know of some that put a physical layer of plastic on top of the foam and secure it to the foam so it doesn't move. I figured on coating the whole deal, all sides. I don't want it to flex and bend and crack, that would suck. Yep, it's like painting rubber, if you don't use the right material, it bends and cracks the paint. So, not sure on that one...as I haven't actually done that to a piece yet.

Yep, i hear ya on the thickness, that is why i chose the 1/4 inch, I want thick, but not huge thick. I just noted that in several of the ref pics from the comics and such, the armor from that time period is a lot thicker than the modern era, but I agree there is a fine line about being too thick and looking too much like really out there armor. I've seen the 6mm stuff and know how hard it is to work with it and it would really make this a very tough build and end up being really heavy, more heavy than fun at that point for me. Also, the 6mm is equivalent to 1/4 inch, so I know the thickness I picked was equivalent to the 6mm sintra. I didn't want to go overboard and be huge thick.

I hear ya on the being able to prove whether it is done or not, I'm a photographer and use Photoshop a Lot, I know what can be done with it. I know that is where trust and integrity come into play, and I also know how hard that is to verify and is a slippery slope and understand the position you are highlighting.

I hear ya and understand, that if built as a base, it will not be approvably for official club use. I really want to do this build and see what can be done and see if my theory is right about glassing all sides of it and seeing how it works, but just not sure if I want to put all the time and effort, besides what I have already done, into a kit that won't be approved for official use.

Looks like I will have to do more research and look at this from another creative direction to see what I want to do. Again, thank you for your patience and time in the responses and the information provided for me to be able to make an informed decision. I should have dug deeper. I apologize for any inconvience. :-)

Hmmmm....

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2011, 06:23 PM »
If you are looking for thickness, I would suggest 6mm sintra, heck, foamboardsource.com sells 13mm!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Well, I'm going to go ahead and build this as is, I guess for a fun kit, but following my plan on glassing the whole armor plate deal to try to make the armor plates hard. Worst case I'm out some foam, I already had on hand and bought one set. I already have the parts, so figured I might as well do something with what I have and see how it comes out.

As for today, I cut out the front and back main torso pieces and the layered armor parts for the front torso. Already did the basic forming of the front and back with the heat gun and it is coming along pretty well.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow hopefully to show where I'm at now.

Thanks again for all the information and the suggestions. Worst case, if this doesn't work this way, I have some ideas for another possible direction to do this and come pretty close. I just want to give this way a shot and see what I can really do, kind of challenging myself.

:-)

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Ok, first pics. Nothing too spectacular or anything, it's the basic front torso piece with the basic layered pieces attached.

No detail work done to it yet, I burnt the heck out of one of my fingers when the hot glue squished out...sigh...gotz to love armor building.

This pic has the front and back on the workstation. Speaking of, please excuse the mess, I have to clean it up...

I've got a lot of work to do on this set, to really make it stand out. This is just the basic front for now. This is the very rough formed pieces right now, the edges of the main torso front and back need to be smoothed out still, and as you can see there is a bunch of lines and other marks all over it now.

I used one of my old cavalry vests as the template, with modifications for fitting as the template for the front. Had to alter the upper strap area where they meet up with the back plate due to angle difference.

Once I drew out the template, I used a razor knife to cut out the shape from the one piece of mat. Then used the heat gun on high to start heating up areas that needed bent/formed and using my body to form it to. One sheet did the front and one for the back so far.

Once sastifiied with the basic fit, using tape to put it over my shoulders to see how it lines up, I then drew up where I wanted the top layer pieces to go on and make sure they were lined up, and then did the measurements for them and then cut them out using some thin sheets from hobby lobby. A very sharp razor knife and slow cuts does the trick. Still had to use the dremel tool with a sanding disc on it to smooth out the edges of the foam where I did the cutting. This is going to be a slow steady process as much as I can as there will be a lot of small details to be cut into the main base pieces.

Oh a good note to remember, when you are making something that has identical cuts on each side, use the first piece you cut out to draw on the second piece. I cut out the right side for my arm hole and then flipped it over and used it to do the other side. When I drew it out and was looking at the lines, I noted that they weren't perfect. apparently the arm holes on my cavalry vest are not perfectly similar....so by using the piece I cut from one side, flipping it over and using it for the other side, meant that the arm holes were now matched up correctly.

I need to cut out one more box shape piece to put into the center of the upper plate to add a detail look to the top layered piece. Then I need to work on laying out some detail lines and such and come up with the chest box and build up the hose connector area.

More to come.

:-)

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Ajax Kaal - Late Crusader WIP - First pics up on page 1
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:29 PM »
The start is looking pretty good, my only concern is the small spacing between some of the top layer pieces. When you go to fiberglass over those areas they will become even smaller with the build up of each layer. I'm not sure how many layers you intend to apply or how much this type of foam with soak it up but, that is something to consider. It might help to add a bit more space between the pieces to accommodate for what the fiberglass will add. ;)

Sorry about your finger. :( What do they say tho, if you didn't put your blood, sweat and tears into it you didn't give your all, right? :D ;)

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Yeah, the spacing might be an issue, but oh well, they are glued down tight, lol. I'm going to have to be very judicious in the amount that I use for that area. By cutting up the fiberglass matting and/or using chop matting instead, I think I can minimize the amount of fill it does on those gaps. Worst case, I can always grind the spaces bigger if they fill up...or I can grind the spaces bigger now. I just don't want to have too much space between them. It is something I'll have to keep an eye on and when I get to that stage I will know more if I will have to do any grinding or altering to the pieces. But, yes good eye on that. :-)

The intent with the fiberglass is to use small brushes and to use a chopped version instead of a sheet version of the fiberglass matting. Chopping up the matting, allows it to fit into tighter recesses and cracks and such. It works well for small areas with complex curves or sharp lines. I will have to be careful about how much I try to put into the cracks when I get to that point. So, we'll see.

Yep, well then this is off to a good start for having my stuff in it...but I'd like to avoid any further deposits being made into this material, lol.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Hondo Karr

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Looking good.

I am glad you are going through with this in your original image.

Being that you already have an approved kit, one of my favorites BTW, it's really not "imperitive" that a compliant costume be built. You have Ajax to wear to "Official Events" and you'll have a new kit that is 100% your design and idea from design to materials.

Kudo's!

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Thanks Falin, I appreciate that. I already have the materials, and such and figured it would be a good experiment in creativity and seeing what else I can do. Having my first approved kit, is really what helps me with this and wanting to do something different and fun. The thinking for this one has already gave me ideas for a future build and for eventually working on an approvable Crusader kit. I'm going to build one, one day, and think this is good practice and some fun as well, minus the whole burnt finger part, lol.

Yeah, I love my first kit and get great comments on it when I wear it. We just did the KC Zoo hoots and howls event and know that the write up for it is coming and it was just so much fun!

Yep, this kit is going to be inspired and in the spirit of the Crusaders and again a test for myself to see what I can do with it. The neat thing is, the soft parts, can still be used for another build, this one is about the plates base material being different. Thus, I don't have to completely start over, when I start working on an approvable Crusader build. :-) I'm learning and thinking in new directions for me on how to do future builds, if anything this will help me become a better costumer overall, at least I hope. :-)

Again, thanks. :-)

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Ithica

• Thank you Kiel'ani Cardas
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Ajax Kaal - (Fun) Late Crusader WIP - First pics up on page 1
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:29 PM »
If I may say something on this matter. From experience the EVA Foam even when covered with plastic or resin will not hold up as well as other materials. I can make a suggestion though. Dolob Mendo did not make it back from Iraq and it wasd that suit that had issues and that's all I will say about that. I did not breaak any riles but it left room for accusations. Anyway, I rebuild Dolob Mendo and molded the EVA parts and now make them out of smoothcast 320....easy fix. It cost me more but now there are not any issues with the materials. I would not use the EVA foam ever again without molding them first. Keep what yu got and go from there, it looks like an amazing kit.

Dave

What's the matter? Surprised to see a lowly Bounty Hunter wielding such a fine and noble weapon? You're not the only one who's killed Jedi!

Ajax Kaal

Re: Ajax Kaal - (Fun) Late Crusader WIP - First pics up on page 1
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:52 AM »
Sorry to hear it didn't make it back, it was a cool looking suit.

I hear ya on the applying stuff to the top of it and will see what happens. I just want to see what I can do with it....

I also see what you mean by using the eva as a means to be a mold and using a hard plastic or such as the final product. I have friends that use a lot of Smooth-On products so I'm familiar with their stuff as well.

This is really becoming a challenge to me, to see what I can do with different materials. I really want to try and do some very cool stuff and the eva is very cool to work with. I don't know what this total kit will look like at the end of this adventure, but again, I'm learning a lot along the way and challenging myself to see what I can do. I already figured out a very cool new strapping look that will be revealed here in a couple of days, when I post a new update on progress of the kit.

Again, thanks for the input Ithica, I appreciate the feedback.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Ajax Kaal

How's it going my fellow Vod. Got some stuff done over the weekend and got pics done today to provide some updates to the build.

I've got the majority of the main armor plates done as far as basic cutting and forming and here's a pic of the main parts as they stand for now, minus the backplate which is not pictured here:

They are in a rough state as all I've really done is design them, cut them out, form them and in the case of the thinner detail parts, cut them out and glue them on as well.

Here is a view of the arms:

I'm not 100% happy with the right shoulder plate right now which is the boxy one on the left in this photo. I had to do some intricate forming to get the right shape and it took a bit of engineering to do it as I want the angular shape. I may redesign this piece, but not sure yet. Also, not sure I like the cover detail piece on top of it. As you can see I've got the basic bicep plates done and am going to go with a bracer style hard gaunts.

Here is the right leg pieces:

I plan on attaching the boot plates to a pair of boots, once I decide on which ones to go with, but for now they are basically just formed, using a pair of my old military jungle boots.

Here is the left leg pieces:

As you can see, the knee plates are attached to the shins permanently. I'm not sure on the blocky transition at the bottom of the knee piece, and am thinking of tapering it upwards into the main plate, some way. Again, these are rough formed, and not detailed yet, so still lots more to do.

Here is a shot of the Chest Hose assembly. The lower left is the chest side and the upper right will connect to the backpack/jetpack:

This is a detail view of the chest side:

Basically I'm using a hydraulic/refridgerator/sink braided hose with hose connections for the chest hose. Since it is attaching to the chest in the front, I wanted to have the "L" connection so it would point towards my shoulder and over to the back. The black stuff is heat shrink tubing applied to the hose to give it a different look. Also, where you can see threads where the hose connector connects to the L piece, will have rubber "O" rings put on there like the back piece. I don't have any in the size needed for this connector and have to pick up some here in a couple days to fill in that gap.

This is a detail view of the back connection:

When you tighten down the connector to the fitting, it leaves some of the threads showing and I didn't like that. So I, figured use rubber "O" rings to fill in the gap and they look cool in the process. Where the 2nd set of "O"rings meets the octagonal piece will actually be inside the pack and will not be seen. I'm going to use a washer to help push up against the wall of the pack to hold the connector tight. The hose will be disconnected from this end when I need to take the torso apart. The chest side will be hard/permanently mounted to the chest. I also like the fact that the "O" rings make the whole thing look more sealed and airtight as well.

When I was planning the torso pieces, I needed to figure out a way to strap the front to the back over the shoulders. The thing is I just didn't want to put a strap over it with a typical buckle showing. So after some thought and looking at parts I had, I came up with this configuration:

The basic assembly is a formed and cut piece of foam on each end. The strapping itself is a piece of heavy duty nylon strapping with a piece of needlepoint grid plastic literally machine sewn to the top of the strapping piece. I used the sanding bit on my dremel and made a space for the strapping under the foam pieces so that they would sit flush against the top of the shoulder. The "bolts" you see are Chicago Screws which go all the way through and will be used to attach the shoulder connectors to the shoulders. I will use washers on the underside for reinforcement. The strapping will allow some flex so that I can slide the whole torso assembly over my head. If they break or mess up, I can undue the Chicago Screw and pull it apart and replace them if needed. Right now, I'm thinking of leaving a gap between the front and back torso pieces to have some flexibility there for putting the torso on. The sides will have a gap built in and a strap going from front to back to connect the sides. I still need to work on that as well.

This is what they look like loosely placed on the shoulder:

I haven't drilled the holes through the shoulders yet, as I need to do some more fitting and forming of the front to back to make sure I have good alignment of the front to back straps.

I like the way the strapping looks and I'm thinking of using them for all my strapping pieces on this kit. It will also keep it uniform for the total look. I will adjust the strapping sizes to the pieces, but really like the way the strapping looks. Haven't decided on the final color of the white plastic though. Thinking it might be a metal or copper or such metal finish. Since it is attached to the nylon already, I'll probably have to use "rub-n-buff" or such to color them. Or I could also  just paint on the finish using my model brushes so it doesn't mess up the nylon strap. Which also means that for the rest I need to paint the plastic grids first, then sew them to the strapping. LOL, oh well, welcome to on the fly engineering.

Well, that's it for the major updates for now.

Next steps
Work on detailing all the main plates with lines and textures and such to give them dimension.
I picked up a piece that I will be using for the little chest box that will be on my right front and need to get it in place, fitted in and figure out any more chest parts that will have LED lighting and put in the LED lighting kit to light up some bits on the front, etc...
Work on making the rest of the strapping for the armor attachment
Make the/sew the soft armor cod piece
I need to look at working on the buy'ce.
I need to pick up washers and more "O" rings for the connector pieces.
Work on attaching the chest hose to the chest at some point
Work on the shoulder strap alignment and fitting
Still researching on my weapon build
Once the details are done, actually glass the plates and work on hardening them
etc. etc. etc...long way to go.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

:-) More to come soon....

Suc'cy Vod.

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 09:00 PM by Ajax Kaal » Logged
Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
Re: Ajax Kaal - (Fun) Late Crusader WIP - new pics on page 2
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Wow, you got a lot done this past weekend.
So it's already started talking to you and wanting parts to be changed, huh? LOL :D So you've changed up the shins, biceps and gaunts slightly? I have to admit I'm sad to see the shin/knee combo change, I liked the more armored style of the concept art. But, that's a personal thing and if you like the new version then that's what matters.
Love the "O"rings. Ingenious.
I like the strapping solution you came up with, now I get what those black bits on the upper torso armor was. I had no idea what those were but also never thought to ask. -face palm- I like that you went a step further to eliminate using a recognizable earthy element like buckles and went with something more swarzy. Gold star my friend.

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:05 AM »
Yeah, a little bit...

Yep, it talks to me all the time, sometines good, sometimes bad...but yep it talks to me.

Well, the biceps yeah, it's much harder to transfer a flat drawing into 3d and make it look like the drawing or what's in my head. So, yeah they are modded some. The shins, um yeah...I've been looking at other designs and thought it would be cool to have the shins lower and the knees attached. Again, this is not set in stone, they do look kind of funny hanging out there in the air, but kind of like the way they look together with the flow up to the thighs.

The gaunts aren't done yet. I'm still trying to think of a way to make them more boxy on top. It was hard to really translate what was/is in my head with that drawing, so it was more of a guide with input from my head while building it.

None of the parts are completely set in stone; I can always make another one to try a different approach, if I don't like it. I will most likely be looking at the knee/shin combo again tomorrow and still thinking about that shoulder.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention those are a "placeholder" for an attachment system of some kind. You see a bunch of attachment points in the ref drawings.

Thanks. The "O" rings were across the isle from the hose and it was like, hey...I need to cover up the threads...what about those? And they look cool.

I may still have some buckles, but want to try and cover them or conceal them if I can. Again, trying to push my limits and boundaries and come up with other ways to do things to make them more swarzy.

Still a work in progress. :-)

Thank ya for the feeback Seugtai. :-)

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Well, after a lot of visual research today, I'm going to redo the knees and shin combo thinking to go a similar direction, I'm just not happy with the diamond look.

Also, going to redo that shoulder again, it just still bugs me.

However, I'm pretty much out of mat material and low on funds, so hopefully here in a couple days, I'll be able to go get another set and pick up the "o" rings I need and a couple of other items to get back to work on this.

Cya.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!