Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jacad's attempt on a vest

• 27 Replies

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Jacad's attempt on a vest
« on: Oct 19, 2011, 11:23 PM »
My kit is almost finished!! Just this vest and armor Attachment and I'll be complete!

With Vinyl I decided to make myself a run-of-the-mill vest, with some experimenting

The Results are...well, All I can say is I'd like to make this salvagable.

As you can see, my shoulders need some work and yes, the sides are sewn together and that Zipper can be pretty laborius to put on and off. I also feel the shoulders need to be reinforced...

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 11:25 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Jacad's attempt on a vest
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Good start. I'd recommend hemming the edges. It'll make it look much more finished. Looks like it's hanging off your body a bit and I'm concerned about how the armor will sit on it once it's mounted. Also, are you planning on sewing on shoulders or leaving it as is?

Jacad Moonstar

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:45 PM »
The shoulder I have i am taking off, I'm proabably going to go with Jango style shoulers.

This vest is clearly uneven

MVS Founder

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Well don't even think about scrapping it!! Like I said, it's a really great start. It just needs some cleanup.

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Alright, Just need to figure out what to do with the shoulders...

Hemming the front will be simple

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:38 AM »
By how it looks, I'm going to get more of the material that the sleeve is made out of. Haven't figured out what it is yet (Possibly canvas or duckcloth)

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2011, 12:28 AM »
Just finished hemming the front and I'm begining to fix the sides so It doesn't flare out

The next thing i'm going to do is place Vinyl shoulders over to reinforce the shoulders. The next thing I'm going to do is add duckcloth sleeves

MVS Founder

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2011, 01:36 AM »
Looks good. Make sure you don't neglect hemming the collar. You've got a solid start from what I can see. By the look of the length of the vest, I'd recommend Boba style plates over Jango style plates maybe...

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2011, 04:13 AM »
Looks good. Make sure you don't neglect hemming the collar. You've got a solid start from what I can see. By the look of the length of the vest, I'd recommend Boba style plates over Jango style plates maybe...
I actually have Jango style plates and they still fit ok

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Just about to finish attaching duckcloth to the vest, using them as sleeves. I'm going to the boba vest approach

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Here is my duck cloth sleeves before cutting them and hemming them

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2011, 10:55 PM »
The sleeves cut and hemmed. I put on my flight suit as well and as you can see, I need to make the sleevs a bit tighter

MVS Founder

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:50 AM »
Hmm not sure about the sleeves. I see what you're going for with the double sleeved flight suit look, but it doesn't quite come across. You might want to focus on instead putting some shoulders on the vest in the same vinyl. Looks like you're sewing it by hand too, is that correct?

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2011, 02:20 AM »
Yep, all of it was hand sewn

I just made the sleeves less pronounced. I have Vinyl thats shoulder bell shaped thats ready to be place on top of the sleeves to give to make it look more detailed.

I made the sleeves cuz I when I tried my armor collar and shouldlers on, the shoulders just didn't look ok to me. I'll be placing the shoulder bells on the sleeveswith a bit of Vinyl to follow...maybe

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2011, 02:24 AM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2011, 07:54 AM »
The sleeves look too baggy. just tailor them in a little bit, so they are more snug. However, you should really attach them to your flightsuit and not the vest. And if you have any of the vest material left, make some lapells and attach them to your vest for your shoulder armour.  ;)

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2011, 11:47 AM »
The sleeves look too baggy. just tailor them in a little bit, so they are more snug. However, you should really attach them to your flightsuit and not the vest. And if you have any of the vest material left, make some lapells and attach them to your vest for your shoulder armour.  ;)

I got the sleeves fixed and I got plenty of Vinyl for my shoulders.  ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2011, 11:51 AM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Gooood, Lets have a look then !  ;D  ;) .

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Forgive my poor shot

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/inudarklord/My%20Mando%20Project/2011-10-22203832.jpg

With my Shoulders on, the Shoulders will be less pronounced

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2011, 12:32 PM »
I'll be on the Lapels right away and give better shots

MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:14 PM »
I thought you meant you reattached them to your flightsuit. which is really what you need to do.  ;)

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Oh, lol

I meant that I made my sleeves are no less pronounced. I'm about to get some of my scrap Vinyl to attach my  sleeves

Here's a pice pinned on

MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Make sure you sew it to the vest and not the sleeves.

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Let the Vinyl Stick out?

MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:22 PM »
yes.  ;)

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Here's what I got before I pull the thread and needles...

They are a little small but enough to where it can seen connecting to the shoulder bells

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2011, 01:41 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!