Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Sizing V 2.0

• 100 Replies

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:07 AM »
Thanks! I am just starting my scratch build, so this helps me out a lot!

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #51 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I'm glad this was posted.  It's beginning to look like I may need to purchase another helmet for width reasons.  Wish I had this information last fall, but I'm glad to give Saz the business. :)  I ordered a 1:1 from Saz, which looks great I must add, but at 6'0 and 20" shoulders... it's a little large (the 1:1 measures 11-12" wide) on the width.  If anyone is interested in purchasing, please PM me.  I may be willing to sell it upon finding a suitable replacement.  I will keep it if I cannot find a suitable replacement.

Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:19 PM »
It's actually pretty close. You may be better off with it than dropping down. You should post some pix in a helmet thread with it on.

« Reply #53 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I can't figure out if my shoulders are super small, or if I'm not measuring them right. Holding a tape measure to my shoulders, they are ~18 inches. I'm 5'11", 180 lbs. Seems like the Rubies 2 Piece is the right size if my shoulders are correct.

How should I get the shoulder measurement?

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #54 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:06 PM »
I can't figure out if my shoulders are super small, or if I'm not measuring them right. Holding a tape measure to my shoulders, they are ~18 inches. I'm 5'11", 180 lbs. Seems like the Rubies 2 Piece is the right size if my shoulders are correct.

How should I get the shoulder measurement?

I measure from the edge of one shoulder (the furthest portion of my arm) across the nape of my neck to the edge of the other shoulder.  Ni'ka measured her rubies 2-piece for size comparison, and it is just below 10" wide and 10" tall.  I measure 19-20" at the shoulders, and it looked way too small on me when I tried it on.

Going off your height and weight, I'd imagine the 2-piece is going to be a little small on you proportionately, especially near the chin area.

The Saz 1:1 boba helmet I had (it was too big) measured 12" wide from ear to ear at the widest point.    The "Large" in "M-DSB" helmets measure just under 11" wide, and the medium measures a little bigger than a 2-piece (barely over 10" wide).  I'm not sure of Falin Skirata's sizing, other than the Owl helmet (which turned out great btw)

Hope this helps somewhat.  I would go with something a little bigger than a 2-piece, but smaller than a 1:1 boba if possible.

« Reply #55 on: Mar 14, 2012, 05:40 PM »
If the Rubies 2 piece is 10 inches, and the best ratio is 2:1 shoulder to helmet, wouldn't anything bigger go a little bobblehead on me at 18 inches? Not to mention anything between 1:1 Jango size (as I understand the J2P is) and 1:1 Boba size (as I understand the HBF is) will cost at least twice as much. I just want to make sure I have this right before I go slinging the money around.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #56 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Jango 1:1 scale, which includes the Rubies 2 piece, is 9.5" wide. Perfect for someone with 19" shoulders. Shoudl work as small as 17" and up to 20".

Boba 1:1 scale is 11.5" wide. Perfect for someone with 23" shoulders. Should work down to about 22 and up to 25-26 before earcap modding or stretching become neccessary.

If you fall in the 19.5-22" range, the Don Post COULD be the perfect match for you.

There are other factors that can play in, shoudler width seems to be the primary factor though. But, things such as overall body width and girth, height, head height, head circumference etc all play in. At the end of the day, it's not a 100% science but, by going with shoulder width, yoiu have your best shot of getting it right. Some folks, no matter what, are going to have to scratchbuild.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #57 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Jango 1:1 scale, which includes the Rubies 2 piece, is 9.5" wide. Perfect for someone with 19" shoulders. Shoudl work as small as 17" and up to 20".

Boba 1:1 scale is 11.5" wide. Perfect for someone with 23" shoulders. Should work down to about 22 and up to 25-26 before earcap modding or stretching become neccessary.

If you fall in the 19.5-22" range, the Don Post COULD be the perfect match for you.

There are other factors that can play in, shoudler width seems to be the primary factor though. But, things such as overall body width and girth, height, head height, head circumference etc all play in. At the end of the day, it's not a 100% science but, by going with shoulder width, yoiu have your best shot of getting it right. Some folks, no matter what, are going to have to scratchbuild.

Listen to "this guy" ;)  He knows a little about helmets. lol  ;D

« Reply #58 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Alright. Found a soft measuring tape, and took some new measurements. I'm at ~19 inches. Sounds like the 2-Piece is still my fit.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #59 on: Mar 25, 2012, 07:47 PM »
So I am at 30" across the shoulders without armor.
My BobaMaker 1:1 took a tumble off my trunk yesterday and one of the mandables smashed on the concrete.
I'm looking at an Enforcer helmet but I can't find any measurements, though I read in the original Helmet Sizing thread that it's roughly the size of a Don Post.  But I think the Enforcer came in 2 sizes.  It looks to be just a shade smaller than the XL Assassin from top to bottom (which is fine) but maybe a little wider, so I assume this is the XL variant.  So the XL would be larger than the Don Post, and comparable to a 1:1? 
Does anyone have any experience with this helmet?  I've heard the cheeks are deep, but I heard the same about Bobamaker and it worked just fine.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Hondo Karr

« Reply #60 on: Mar 25, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Im in the same boat my good man. 30+" wide at the shoulder. The Enforcer only came in one size which DSB classed as a M/L rather than the L/XL.

I used to wear the Enforcer but, it required width modifications. Basically I bulked up the earcaps by adding greeblies... it was actually a GI Joe comm/camera system, and yes the camera remained functional. Here are some pix:

If you did something similar, it should work for your shoulder width.

At that point the concern becomes if it's tall enough to keep your chin from being visible. Nice thing is, the helmet has a fairly long face. I have a more oval than round shaped head and I did not have that problem. I also did not have a problem with cheek depth.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #61 on: Mar 25, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Thank you!  That really helps a lot.  And it reinforces my love for this design.  That's one intimidating helmet.
My Bobamaker fits well, though it tends to smash my nose a little.  And my chin / beard is visible if I pad the inside, but it also sits very close to my shoulders if I don't add padding.  So I think a long face will really help with that.
As for bulking out the ears... I might add a rangefinder and a comm system, which wouldn't add a lot of bulk at all but maybe it'll help sell the illusion of width.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531
« Reply #62 on: Mar 25, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I found an HBF for $11 and picked it up. Measuring the bottom, it's 10" wide at the ear caps, theoretically a perfect fit for 20" shoulders, maybe filling some of the gap between J2P and 1:1 Boba.

Briikase Runi

• Heed the call of Manda
« Reply #63 on: Mar 31, 2012, 07:22 PM »
I'm working on one of skirata's. super commando helmet It feels like the face does not come down far enough in the front. I'm playing. with the idea of adding a half inch to the bottom of the face. I'm going to need one of you guys to look at it for me. I'm alo playing with the idea of not cutting out the visor since I'm blind anyways

Mandalorians making the dark side sith their pants since before the old republic.

Sedavor Til

• The Mando With No Talent, I just Wing It
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 11:12 PM »
I'm curious on how this sizing method would work with a CW death watch helmet.  I plan on doing a Grunt build.  The helmets based on the Boba 1:1 won't work for me. My shoulder width is about 18" and I'm built much like Thaxos, so with a traditional helmet I am a J2P size. Right now I am eyeing TK3181's DW helmet since it was based off a DP.  The rough measurments he posted have the helmet being about 7 3/4" wide.  Since the death watch have a more slender helmet than the tradition Fett helmets, I am wondering if it will work for me or if i need to try to do a scrath build. 

All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Actually, depending on the artwork, the TCWDW helmet is as if not more flared than the Fett helmet.

Will they not work for you because they are too large or becasue you cant get your head in? You may need to scratchbuild. there is a CHANCE the DP rebuild could work but, at 18" at the shoulder, it could be too wide still.

Sedavor Til

• The Mando With No Talent, I just Wing It
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57 AM »
The other TCWDW helmets offered in the trade forum I've seen are based on the 1:1 and would just be overall to big for my build.  Taking the measurements that were posted of Eternal Armory's (TK3181) DW helmet, they are showing the width (not including ears) as 7 3/4" as far as the rest of the measurments his helmet would be about a 1/2" taller (top to Bottom), 1/2" longer (back to front). 

Rough Measument comparisons   
                                                                                     DW                       My J2P                   
  Height  (Top to Bottom)                                            10 1/2"                     10"                                               
  Width   (Ear to Ear not including ear pieces)             7 3/4"                       9"
  Length (Back to front)                                               10 3/4"                     10 1/4"

The Measurements for the DW helmet are taken from TK3181 Trade form post, and mine are a quick rough measurement.  I am just looking for a best guess on whether there potential or not.

All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 05:09 AM »
Just going to throw in that I've just introduced a Death Watch Helmet at J2P size to my line up ;)

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Deimos Ordo

• Nah....I'm good
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 The most special of operatives Accessorised is the award for the best non-weapon prop. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I am glad I found this but I wonder why helmet size is not mentioned in CRLs?? I have a 20.5-21"shoulder width, using an HBF, will this fly?, My WIP is in my signature :'(

Hondo Karr

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM »
I am glad I found this but I wonder why helmet size is not mentioned in CRLs?? I have a 20.5-21"shoulder width, using an HBF, will this fly?, My WIP is in my signature :'(

Commented on your WIP thread.

The helmet sizing thing, up til a couple months ago, was an "eyeball" method. Once we obtained some measurements from the movie actors we were able to nail now some more ocncrete numbers. Although they are not 100% there are better than prvious methods. A 2:1 ratio is aproximately what's desired, with can move up or down a tad from person to person but generally stays in that region.

It's not likely to be addressed in the CRL's more than already, which is covered under statements about proper sizing, fit and proportions and the overall quality clause.

Deimos Ordo

• Nah....I'm good
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 The most special of operatives Accessorised is the award for the best non-weapon prop. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Commented on your WIP thread.

The helmet sizing thing, up til a couple months ago, was an "eyeball" method. Once we obtained some measurements from the movie actors we were able to nail now some more ocncrete numbers. Although they are not 100% there are better than prvious methods. A 2:1 ratio is aproximately what's desired, with can move up or down a tad from person to person but generally stays in that region.

It's not likely to be addressed in the CRL's more than already, which is covered under statements about proper sizing, fit and proportions and the overall quality clause.

Understood on the CRL question, and thank you for the follow ups, Good formula you have established Thanks again

« Reply #71 on: Jul 16, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Was wondering how the WOF helmet measured up.  Looking to make a scratch built off of that template (http://mandalorianmercs.org/downloadables/tutorials/library/BF%20Helmet%20Templates%20A4.pdf)

Would it be appropriate for a 20~" shouldered person?

Hondo Karr

« Reply #72 on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:27 PM »
The WOF templates are for a 1:1 Boba Fett scale helmet. So, the end result should be just about 11.5" wide. Optimum for someone 22-24/26 inches wide at the shoulder. Going to be a bit wide on someone who is 20" wide at the shoulder. Believe it or  not, that 2-3" inches in the difference between just right and Mando by Funko.

If you downsized the templates a bit... maybe 5-10% (i dont have a calcualtor in front of me) so your end result build is 9.5-10" wide, youd be spot on.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #73 on: Jul 16, 2012, 09:35 PM »
If one is like....19-20" at the shoulders, perhaps adding shoulder plates that jut out the sides a bit more would solve this I would asume. Adding a pauldron could have the same effect as well maybe...but at 19.5" shoulders and a couple more years growing I think a 1:1 will not be a problem for me

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #74 on: Jul 18, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Same question for Skips Pepakura template (found on:http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=1).  Is that also for the 1:1?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!