Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

If You Build Him, Novoc Will Come... HUGE UPDATE 1/7/19!!

• 71 Replies

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Well, vode, here I am.  I've got my first rough concept sketch more or less finished.  My character, Novoc Mereel, is an expert Mandalorian sniper.  I've started a scratchbuild WoF helmet from posterboard, and have begun planning out a paint scheme.  Here's my first full-body concept art!

As you can see, I borrowed heavily from Thaxos's Legacy Era chest armor.  I did ask him permission via Facebook to base some of my kit on his, and he agreed.  If needed, I can modify the design so that nobody feels like my kit is a knock-off.   ;D  Features I wanted feedback on include:

- The kama--I decided that, instead of thigh armor with a kama around the waist, I borrowed a concept I saw on the completed kit thread and decided to make one harness belt that would have my cod piece and some basic, shaped thigh armor attached directly to the kama, for ease of use.  Being a sniper, flexibility will be a key component of this kit, as a sniper must always have high mobility to quickly change locations.  I am planning on somehow affixing the holster for my sidearm to the right piece of thigh armor, possibly integrating it directly into my armor, and attaching a strap across the top to hold the weapon in place.

- The knees/shins--Playing into the idea of high mobility/flexibility, I wanted to give a more simplistic (read: inexpensive... I AM a college kid, after all...  ;) ) look to my lower legs.  I decided to use the rectangular knees and shin/calf wrapping style seen on the Montross action figure, and I reasoned that it would be impractical for a sniper to have shin armor, again, weight cuts down on mobility.  Plus, theoretically, different colors/styles of wrappings can be substituted for different mission environments (i.e. plains, forest, mountain, etc).

- The rangefinder--I've been lurking around the site and asking questions for about a month now.  I liked the idea of having an integrated rangefinder/macrobinoculars on my buy'ce, and have seen a few approved kits with them.  I somehow (I'm still not sure how this idea came to me) thought of using two (heavily) modified drink lids, one on each side of my bucket, to allow the RF to easily go over my visor, or rest on my forehead, being that the lids will naturally stop at a certain point!  I also have a small antenna planned, that will be placed on an earcap underneath the right side's lid, and be facing out at a slight diagonal angle (I'm thinking 30 degrees would look about correct, IMHO).

- Bullets (not shown)--I wanted to add a twist to my character, and make him have a preference for "slugthrowers" as they are called in the Star Wars universe.  There are canon slugthrowers in SW KotOR and KotOR II (Sidenote: two of my favorite games of all time!), however, I wondered if this would be at all acceptable in the era I am placing my character.  (As for the weapon I drew, I was really just doodling a random gun.  I haven't picked the weapon I will modify yet, for my main sniper rifle.)  Here's what I would like to do with the bullets, if this idea is potentially approvable:

Keep in mind that this may not necessarily be on my left arm.  I haven't decided on placement, yet.

Whoa.  Sorry for the wall of text, everyone!  A little information about myself that will be relevant in building this kit:

I am about 6'2"-3", and weigh in at about 195 pounds, though I am about to start working out regularly with a friend to get in better shape (partially so that my armor looks good on me, not that I am grossly overweight.)  I have an OM in one of my classes, and we will probably be having a planning/armor party in the next couple months, while I save money to begin this kit.  I wanted to slowly post ideas and concept drawings, as well as refining my overall look to make a high-quality kit.

Hopefully, the community will find that I have put significant thought into the building of my character, as well as trying to make the kit as "practical" as possible.  I will humbly accept any constructive criticisms, comments, pats on the back, etc. and look forward to hearing from you all!  Oya!

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2019, 02:32 AM by Novoc Mereel » Logged

Novoc Mereel

Re: If You Build Him, Novoc Will Come...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Also, I would like to apologize.  My artwork is nowhere near where some of the amazing stuff I've seen on here is.  I tried, though!  Feel free to request close-up drawings of specific pieces, and I will see what I can do.   :D

Akiva Tal'korel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Love the concept art vod! What are you thinking for back armor - are you looking at making a backplate or using a cape/half-cape? Looking forward to seeing this as it develops! :>

Train your sons to be strong, and your daughters to be stronger.

Ojishe - Chiss Post-Imperial Build: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197869.0

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:02 PM »
I'm still trying to decide on that, actually.  I want to have a back plate, but I also would like to have a roman-style cape hanging from my shoulders.  I actually just realized (with your comment) that I have been meaning to draw up a concept of that.  I'll work on that now.  :D

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:28 PM »
I LOVE the concept art! Amazing job on it! Better than I can do... lol. I look forward to seeing what you are gonna do. :P

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Alrighty!  Here's a quick concept of the back armor, sans cape...

http://i.imgur.com/UHuWQ.jpg

...and with the cape!  (Note, the dotted lines indicate where the fasteners on the front will be--about on my clavicle bones.)

http://i.imgur.com/I1pCg.jpg

For color scheme, I'm thinking a dark gray armor (like gunmetal gray, maybe?) with yellow highlights, a black or navy blue flight suit, and a blood-red cape, just for show, and a black cape for any mission that Novoc may be embarking on.  The cape will also have an attached hood, for when his buy'ce is not on his head.

Sorry for the URLs instead.  It won't let me post pictures, for some strange reason.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2011, 12:33 PM »
I think it looks really cool!

Armor:

Akiva Tal'korel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Nice concepts. :> I do have one question on the back armor - do you have a separate plate that covers your spine or is that going to be open space in the armor? I can't quite tell from the drawing. I really like the idea of a blood red cape. Can't go wrong with blood red!

Train your sons to be strong, and your daughters to be stronger.

Ojishe - Chiss Post-Imperial Build: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197869.0

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:08 PM »
I think it looks really cool!

Thanks, vod!  It means a lot that you and Akiva are liking it!

Nice concepts. :> I do have one question on the back armor - do you have a separate plate that covers your spine or is that going to be open space in the armor? I can't quite tell from the drawing. I really like the idea of a blood red cape. Can't go wrong with blood red!

It'll be open, and my vest will be showing in the gap between the plates.  Logically, I figured if there wasn't a plate directly on my spine, you would have maximum flexibility.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Thanks, vod!  It means a lot that you and Akiva are liking it!

How could you NOT like it? It's awesome already and it hasn't even been built! :P

Armor:

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:32 PM »
How could you NOT like it? It's awesome already and it hasn't even been built! :P

That's the key.  Hopefully everything'll work out when we build this!  My helmet is coming along fairly well.  I don't have a camera, so I haven't posted a WIP.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Ah dude, I have two cams. I would lend you one but, my mom wouldn't let me. Sorry to hear you don't have one! Can you borrow one from a friend?

Armor:

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Can you borrow one from a friend?

I think that's what I'll do.  I'll probably just ask my roommate.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Good idea man. Can't wait to see pics! :D

Armor:

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I can't wait to get started!  ^_^

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:57 PM »
 ;D :D ;) :) :P 8) Lol, smiley face army...

Armor:

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:56 PM »
Keeping a close eye on this...  ;)

Edit: Quick question, you planning on having the abdomen plates so slender in comparison to your torso?

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2011, 12:04 AM by Thaxos » Logged

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2011, 01:46 AM »
Not quite sure yet, actually.  It was partially artistic license.  I spent a good deal of time on the main picture, as opposed to the quickly-drawn back pictures.  What would you suggest would work best?

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Not quite sure yet, actually.  It was partially artistic license.  I spent a good deal of time on the main picture, as opposed to the quickly-drawn back pictures.  What would you suggest would work best?

I would advocate more coverage which both looks better from an armor standpoint, and also looks better aesthetically.

After all the whole reason for going the overlapping plate method was to be able to cover more in armor without losing mobility.

Patrikar Dala

• Forever alone....watching you....
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I have seen (as have most members I believe) the extreme ease in which Thaxos can bend and move with the armor. I personally won't be going with that look, but it certainly is genious. ;D

Armor: 100%
Soft parts: 100%
Weapons: 100%
Complete Mondoness!: 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:34 PM »
I would advocate more coverage which both looks better from an armor standpoint, and also looks better aesthetically.

After all the whole reason for going the overlapping plate method was to be able to cover more in armor without losing mobility.
I have seen (as have most members I believe) the extreme ease in which Thaxos can bend and move with the armor. I personally won't be going with that look, but it certainly is genious. ;D

I've been thinking the same thing.  Is there a particular template you have used?  I can't decide the best way to do this without creating awkward parts under the overlapping segments.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Updates!  I finally took some pictures with my webcam.  This first bucket will be a bit small, so I may end up using it as just a prototype, however, I thought I'd share, just to show progress.  Since I took these, more work has been completed, so I will try to again get updates up soon.

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2011, 06:38 PM by Novoc Mereel » Logged

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Looks, awesome! Good job, man!

Armor:

Thaxos

« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:17 PM »
For templates I simply mocked them up with cardboard to scale it to my body proportionately.

As for the setup for wearing, it really depends if you want to mount it stationary, to the vest, or to a rigging system independent of the vest.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:34 PM »
For templates I simply mocked them up with cardboard to scale it to my body proportionately.

As for the setup for wearing, it really depends if you want to mount it stationary, to the vest, or to a rigging system independent of the vest.

Mainly I meant if you had a specific pattern you used, or if you just kinda eye-balled it.  I was thinking of creating like half the pattern on paper, folding it in half to create the full, individual piece of armor.  If that makes any semblance of sense whatsoever.   :P

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!