Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First ever build: Bike helmet base

• 24 Replies

Kyle of the outer rim

• New, here to learn, help is always appreciated
Re: First ever build: Bike helmet base
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Did you account for the scaling and height adjustments you made to the outer shell template?

I printed the inner template at the same scale as the outer template and added on the extra to the brow like I did for the outer shell but it still comes out smaller. I wasnít sure if it supposed to be smaller (because when I printed it at the same scale it came out smaller) or if it was a mistake and I need to increase the scale to make it the same size as the outer shell. 

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2020, 08:06 AM »
the inner template should be smaller, but only by half an inch or so.
you can use the outer templates for the inner and outer if it makes it easier.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2020, 05:19 PM »
the inner template should be smaller, but only by half an inch or so.
you can use the outer templates for the inner and outer if it makes it easier.

I made another template of the inner shell and scaled up the size so now I have the outer shell template and inner shell template, both are the exact same size. I apologize for so many questions, but why do you want the inner shell to be smaller than the outer? Shouldnít they be the same size so when you cut the part out nothings hanging over the edge?

I really appreciate your help and time, I just want to make sure Iím doing it right.  :porg1:

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2020, 06:28 PM »
TBH I never thought about the height difference. I never realized it until you asked the question. I have always altered the templates in one way or another. Questions are encouraged here, so dont worry about asking.
I hope you are able to make progress on your build now, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2020, 09:21 PM »
TBH I never thought about the height difference. I never realized it until you asked the question. I have always altered the templates in one way or another. Questions are encouraged here, so dont worry about asking.
I hope you are able to make progress on your build now, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Thank you my friend, Iím about ready to close the holes on the helmet and sand down the bucket. Hoping to be further along soon.
Thank you for all your help, Iíll post some more photos within the next few days  :D

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2020, 01:18 AM »
Update: Closing the holes

I spent the last couple days looking up information about how to work with fiberglass and practicing cutting before cutting out my squares for the helmet.

Last night I cut out my fiberglass squares and today I put in the fiberglass with the resin (first time ever working with either). I would say for my first time I didnít do half bad!

Also sanded down a bucket today so tomorrow I can start the cutting process and hopefully meld helmet and bucket tomorrow!

Comments, questions, concerns?
Let me know!  :D

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2020, 12:41 AM »
Update: Inner shell

This afternoon I tapped on the inner shell, and after adjusting for a wrinkle or two I got both sides of the template level. I then traced on the template and (with some help) proceeded to cut out the template.

Took it for a dry run with some tape, next Iím gonna sand the rough edges and then mount the shell to the helmet.  :D

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:58 AM »
Update: Riveted

Today and yesterday I worked on cutting the back of the helmet down and sanding the inside more along with creating some new padding inside.

With some help I riveted on the inner shell this evening, but I ended up with a little (and I mean little) bubble in the back that pulls away from the helmet a little. Right below the bubble in the back of the helmet is a little warped and bends in to the center of the helmet.

I got some other opinions and they told me that itís not noticeable and isnít a big deal but I wanted to get some second opinions from people who have scratch built helmets before.

Please let me know if you see the bend and the bubble and if it needs to be fixed or if they are okay.

I really appreciate it.

In the bottom left of the photo above you can kinda see how the curve is different due to that part being pulled in because of the bucket/helmets shape

On the bottom right of the image above you can see the bubble

Close up of the bubble

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:42 AM »
I can see the bubble.  It is on the back of the helmet and you will be bondoing the ever loving crap out of it when you get to that point, however you could potentially smooth it out with a little heat if you didn't what to attempt filler to smooth it out, but you will need to use filler anyway.

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:39 PM »
Dont sweat it. I have a couple patches like that on the helmet I am working on. Hardly noticeable after bondo and primer. Will be even less so once i paint and weather it. Looking good so far. :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!