Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Chainmail vest?

• 13 Replies
Chainmail vest?
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Hey guys just curious I have a chainmail vest that's burried in my costume box.

I am fairly new here and I don't think it's allowed but figured its worth a shot.

Can you use a chainmail vest to attach your armor to?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Chainmail vest?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 05:16 AM »
No.  You might be able to WEAR the chainmail, but chainmail doesn't hold plates up well.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Thanks!

Briikase Runi

• Heed the call of Manda
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:52 PM »
You could us magnets to keep the plats to the chain mail.

Mandalorians making the dark side sith their pants since before the old republic.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:46 PM »
You could us magnets to keep the plats to the chain mail.
This doesn't change the fact that it is not an approved vest material.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Patrikar Dala

• Forever alone....watching you....
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Has it even been asked about before?

Armor: 100%
Soft parts: 100%
Weapons: 100%
Complete Mondoness!: 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Several times.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Has it even been asked about before?
More than I can count, and I've only been here a little over two years. Mail can and has been used as an accent material, but use as a main 'soft part' is HIGHLY discouraged. (read, unapproveable)

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:31 AM »
Also, no matter how you stick plates to it, chainmail is a stretchy material.  It sags, so even if allowable, it wouldn't be a good vest.  Ask the renfaire enthusiasts about the 'chainmail paunch' problem.

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Mail can and has been used as an accent material

So, what kind of accents would chainmail be good for? Loincloths and stuff? A guy here wants to add medieval touches to his Legacy build, so this might interest him...

Cheers!

OriKad

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Loincloth, kama, short sleeves, that sort of thing (though not all at once)

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration

OriKad

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Actually, here's a good rule of thumb on how much chainmail you can have and get away with it: six square feet max, or a backplate and a half, or two thirds of a square yard.  Less chainmail than there was canvas in Boba Fett's half cape.

Bear in mind too that my original plan was to have a chainmail flightsuit.  In hindsight, that would have been too much.

Patrikar Dala

• Forever alone....watching you....
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:29 PM »
I think that no more than three square feet, but that is just my opinion.

Armor: 100%
Soft parts: 100%
Weapons: 100%
Complete Mondoness!: 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!