Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Would shotgun chaps negate the need for leg armor???

• 31 Replies
Would shotgun chaps negate the need for leg armor???
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:07 PM »

would these be ok to wear with my belt and stuff and if i can wear something like these would i not have to do knees, the reason i ask is because shotgun chaps would look really cool with my concept, but if i throw knees and leg armor on it may look wonky so can you let me know what you think vod?? thanks

Re: Would shotgun chaps negate the need for leg armor???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:10 PM »
oh and ignore the frilly shiny stuff, the chaps i would wear would look very similar to the guy from True Grits that had fur on them
here is a photo

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:18 PM »
No. you must have at least 2 pieces of armour below the waist. and knees are a must.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:19 PM »
No. you must have at least 2 pieces of armour below the waist. and knees are a must.
so basically this is just a bad idea???

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:21 PM »
I would say so yes. You must have armour and knees are required. I'm afraid chaps of any kind won't pass muster. Sorry  ;) .

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:22 PM »
its all good ill just keep thinking!!! thanks for your help vod!!!  ;D

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Chaps probably wouldn't be accepted, but you may not need to scrap your entire concept.  You may be able to make a kama and loincloth combo work with the concept.  Try tweaking your concept first before you start over.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Knees are required now? I must have missed that. I was under the impression it was just two pieces of armor below the belt...hmm...guess I guess better find some knee pads now...

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:24 AM »
Knees are required now? I must have missed that. I was under the impression it was just two pieces of armor below the belt...hmm...guess I guess better find some knee pads now...

Yup, has been for a year or longer. A minimum of two coverings below the waist are required. 1 must be a cod or a loincloth and 1 must be knee's.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:27 AM »
So, even thought I have thighs and shins, it's still not enough...

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:31 AM »
Correct.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:00 PM »
unless your knees are part of your shins right?

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:08 PM »
As long as there is knee coverage however it's pulled off.

Dar'manda

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:22 PM »
not trying to high jack.
These are my shins. The upper covers the knee. They are okay right?

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:58 PM »
not trying to high jack.

not trying to high jack.

ah feel free to high jack im not worried its awesome that your questions are being answered feel free, and i am positive those are fine app team can verify but i am pretty positive those are fine

Cando Pax

• Legacy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Vicious, the only thing I would say about those...is they look very Iron Man-ish to me. They may consider them cross over material.

Dar'manda

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:09 PM »
our questions kind of run hand and hand. Thats why i asked. I feel it might also give you and others ideals so there is no real harm in asking.
I have built, took apart sold and rebuilt my armor three times now. I have a dead line of New Years for getting my photos in. I feel good about it but this fine detail stuff is killing me. i feel like everytime i get close something sets me back. So if i need knees i am going to go postal. My shins dont allow for knees. It looks silly and rub something bad.

Dar'manda

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Vicious, the only thing I would say about those...is they look very Iron Man-ish to me. They may consider them cross over material.

8063 is official and he had the same shins. So i am not overly worried about that. I think they are Jedi or something. If they are rejected i am going to finish my orders, And have a bon-fire with my full kit. Phoenix and all. ;) 

Cando Pax

• Legacy
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:14 PM »
The leader of my clan, had to redo his app pics...four or fives times. But, he finally got accepted and it was well worth it. So, don't lose spirit, just keep at it.

Dar'manda

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:22 PM »
No. If i dont pass and have to do a major redo of my kit, I am not even going to worry about it. At that point it was not meant to be. I am not overly worried. If i get rejected it will be because of little stuff that i did not see. And i am going to post full photos in kit before i apply just to make sure everything is a go.
So far i have built everything to CRL guide lines. Armor is spaced correct. Held inplace with snaps. Gaunts, while not ROTJ style meet the guide lines. Weapon is posted and am waiting for feed back on it. Waiting on my tint guy to finish my sheet for the Visor.  If i fail for anything it will be because of the Helmet. I think i will be the first to apply with a Phoenix helmet. So i dont know if it is cannon or if it meets CRL guide lines.
But with luck, I will pass the first time out.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:40 PM »
I had to re-submit my app pics after my first try.  It stung a little because I had a list of things I thought were wrong with my armor but they pointed out things I HADN'T noticed and didn't consider much of an issue.  But they were an issue, so I had to adjust it then I got in on my next try.  I wouldn't take any offense to it and certainly wouldn't argue with them or destroy my kit in defiance.  They have your best interest in mind and want your kit to look as good as it needs to in order to work with the club.
If they say your shins and knees won't work, just get a little piece of sintra and make some with the templates.  No big deal and it'll cost you less than $20 and a few hours at most.
And I don't see why that armor wouldn't work anyway.

As for the chaps, do you already have a set?  Have you tried to put some armor on there to see how it looks?
I used leg wraps on my kit.  I got a few pieces of craft fur from Hobby Lobby and weathered them up a little, added some black spots like Chewbacca's fur then attached it to my legs under my knee armor.  I added some rope from my girth belt to break it up a little and make it look like a sort of frontiersman hunter/trapper or Viking type of thing.
If the chaps don't work, you might consider something like that.
Hobby Lobby sells some nice looking white-ish faux fur.  It's white with a mix of yellow, tan and some black strands.  It's pretty realistic looking.  I think it's $4 per square foot but it's easy to work with and they usually have a load of it.  I guess it depends on what kind of animal fur you're looking for.

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2011, 04:43 PM by Blackbird » Logged
^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Dar'manda

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:44 PM »
i was joking. I would not burn my kit. I just have a dead line that a major redo will  blow out of the water. If i dont get it in by new years, i lose the support of my wife on the build. So a few tweeks will be okay (and expected)  but a major rework is out of the question. So say the queen.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:31 PM »

I believe they are TOR Jedi armor. So, perfectly in-universe and acceptable.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway

Dar'manda

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:51 PM »
I believe they are TOR Jedi armor. So, perfectly in-universe and acceptable.
they are. But they do look kind of ironmanish. I think i will use them as forms when i build the war machine net year.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Those shins do look like Ironman, they won't do. Having said that with a bit of modification, they are a good base. If you removed the pieces that stuck out on the sides and filled the hole in the centre, then i don't see why you can't get away with them.  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!