Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Questions about a flight suit

• 21 Replies

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Questions about a flight suit
« on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:05 PM »
I've been hunting around the forum about sizing on flight suits... but I'm honestly not sure what size to get.  My grandma decided that I needed a nice suit (like a formal suit for business, weddings, etc.), and I found out that my suit size is 44 Long.  Does that help?  I am about 6'2" or 3", and weigh about 195 lbs.  Any advice here would be awesome!

JR

• Jaro Ramikad
Re: Questions about a flight suit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:25 PM »
If you live near an Army Surplus store, you can go there. All you have to do is tell them you need a good fitting Flight Suit. They will assume you want it for wearing in a shop. I looked up what I needed on an Army Surplus website, but I almost bought one too small on eBay.

WIP: www.goo.gl/WhPpc
Helmet 50/50% www.goo.gl/fHFE0
Soft Parts 70% www.goo.gl/hSMyM
Armor 75% www.goo.gl/JTtNO
Gaunts 100% www.goo.gl/NvRA6
Weapons 85% www.goo.gl/7JEef
Backpack 50% www.goo.gl/0CwLn
Droid 20% www.goo.gl/yisvW

"Nan utreekove ber, kisol kyrayc." : www.goo.gl/zXZBx

My website: http://novothule.com

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:44 AM »
Can also use the sizing chart from Dickies website to help. It's mostly based off of your chest and height measurements. (I have no idea how sizing for flight suits compares to sizing for actual suits.)

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:27 AM »
If youre long torso'd or long legged a standard milspec flightsuit wont fit you right. You''ll end up with a wedgie really bad. I have that problem. Im fairly short torso'd (comparadly) and long legged. Plus, Im 6'06". Flightsuit, jumpsuits etc don't work for me off the shelf. you would either need a custom tailored flightsuit which will cost you about $100.00 or, a two piece flightsuit such as BDU's which will cost just a few bucks less but you'll need to remove or hid through armor and accessories all the wierd stiching and pockets (plus, do NOt get the rips top fabric, get twill). I use the BDU option. But, I wear heavy armor a kama and have lots of business going on so you don't see the wierd pockets and stiching so much.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:52 PM »
you can also go to a place that sells uniforms and buy a one piece jumpsuit in the color you want in the size that fits.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:49 AM »
If youre long torso'd or long legged a standard milspec flightsuit wont fit you right. You''ll end up with a wedgie really bad. I have that problem. Im fairly short torso'd (comparadly) and long legged. Plus, Im 6'06". Flightsuit, jumpsuits etc don't work for me off the shelf. you would either need a custom tailored flightsuit which will cost you about $100.00 or, a two piece flightsuit such as BDU's which will cost just a few bucks less but you'll need to remove or hid through armor and accessories all the wierd stiching and pockets (plus, do NOt get the rips top fabric, get twill). I use the BDU option. But, I wear heavy armor a kama and have lots of business going on so you don't see the wierd pockets and stiching so much.

Sounds like I would have a similar problem, though my torso is average sized, my arms and legs are pretty long.  I have a longer "wingspan" than my height, so occasionally finding coats and such can be a chore.  There is an army surplus about 50 miles away, so I am looking to buy online first, and if I have no results, I'll drive over there and see if they have anything.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Can also use the sizing chart from Dickies website to help. It's mostly based off of your chest and height measurements. (I have no idea how sizing for flight suits compares to sizing for actual suits.)

Could you possibly get me a link to this, Kora?  Thanks for the idea, though!

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2011, 03:17 PM »
http://www.dickies.com/general/size-chart.jsp

I just use it as a rough starting point to estimate a size. Most online sites should have sizing charts of their own, just in case there's something different about them. But it's useful if you were looking at ebay auctions or things like that that may only list the size on the item's tag.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:28 AM »
Don't forget about Goodwill if you have one nearby.  I found mine there.  You have to pop in every now and then and you may get lucky.  (Though most of the time there all smalls or mediums, but who knows!)

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:09 AM »
Don't forget about Goodwill if you have one nearby.  I found mine there.  You have to pop in every now and then and you may get lucky.  (Though most of the time there all smalls or mediums, but who knows!)

I forgot about that!  I'll be sure to go check my local thrift stores in the near future.  :)

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Okay.  I found a cheap one from Wal-Mart.com, but I have a question.  By the Dickies chart, I am a L, but I'm on the highest end (44 chest, 16.5 neck).  Would it be prudent for me to buy an XL to be safe, or go ahead and get the large?  I'm 6'2-3", so finding pants, etc is sometimes a chore.  I'd rather not end up with something that doesn't fit bought online.

wthrgssr75

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Yes, the XL is the one you would need for the inseam to shoulder height. the pants legs and sleeves can always be hemmed if need be. Other wise you'd look like a hunched over crab. Not very comfortable in the lower region.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Yes, the XL is the one you would need for the inseam to shoulder height. the pants legs and sleeves can always be hemmed if need be. Other wise you'd look like a hunched over crab. Not very comfortable in the lower region.

XL it is, then!  :D  Thanks, man.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I'm 6' 2" and got a large flight suit. While it fits, it's not the most comfortable fit. I don't get a wedgie, but it is threatening to, lol. And it pulls down on my shoulders, which makes my back hurt after a few hours in costume. Someday I plan on switching to a 2-piece setup, probably dickies or some such.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:13 PM »
So you'd recommend just getting an XL and tailoring it?

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:27 AM »
Yeah, I'd go XL if I was going to get another flight suit, then have it taken in where it needs it.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Yeah, I'd go XL if I was going to get another flight suit, then have it taken in where it needs it.

Duly noted.  Now... to wait for payday...

Xeferoth

• Mhi solus tome, mhi solus dar'tome.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:34 PM »
You could always buy a basic jumpsuit. I bought mine at myjumpsuit.com for around $60. You just have to measure your chest circumference and look at their chart for length. Since you said you're tall, you'd want to look for a long. The jump suits are nice and i'd recommend them if you'd like to look at them.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:55 PM »
I'm 6'2 and I just picked mine up today, it's a 40 reg and fits just fine. I'm about 200lbs so an average dude

EDIT: I take back what I said, this flight suit ended up being to short. I had to get a 42L and it now fits perfect!  Hope that helps

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2012, 05:27 PM by Eeto Vox » Logged

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:22 PM »
You could always buy a basic jumpsuit. I bought mine at myjumpsuit.com for around $60. You just have to measure your chest circumference and look at their chart for length. Since you said you're tall, you'd want to look for a long. The jump suits are nice and i'd recommend them if you'd like to look at them.

I can get what I need from Wal-Mart for $20-30.  But when i'm looking at upgrades, I'll keep 'em in mind!

wthrgssr75

« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:55 PM »
I bought the material for mine and a pattern from hancocks. About 1/4 way through I thought I bit off more than I could chew and was about to go buy a dickies. I took a break from it and came back strong and tailored it the way I wanted with long sleeves under short sleeves (jango flight suit). I just omitted the pockets from the pattern and it came together great. I would have ended up spending $75 for a short & long sleeve pair of coveralls, bleach and dye. Mine cost about $30.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I ran into a similar problem myself. Found a 44L flightsuit on ebay, and the torso is way too short. I can get it on but it's not at all comfortable in the lower regions. It did however provide my wife with much amusement.
 May try the Dickies route instead.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!