Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Heating/Forming Armor Advice Needed

• 4 Replies
Heating/Forming Armor Advice Needed
« on: Apr 14, 2021, 09:51 PM »
Hey guys! So, awhile back during the middle of Covid, I received my armor from a dealer (AGConstrux). However, as it had taken some time to get the armor in the first place, many of the pieces are too tight on me. My question is: how do I go about heating/shaping these armor pieces to fit my current body?

They're made out of 6mm Sintra PVC and a few have plastic add-ons, like the small guns on the knee-pieces. I know most use a heat-gun to heat them up until they're pliable, but what then? Do I wear some sort of protective gear and form them around my body? Do I use like cardboard mock-armor to fit them around? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can also produce pictures of the armor, if needed.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
Re: Heating/Forming Armor Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2021, 12:24 AM »
Yep, put on your flak vest, and form the plates after heating them. Flak vest/flightsuit fabric should be thick enough to protect you.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Arkham

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2021, 09:49 AM »
I use my knee and thigh a lot to get the curves I am looking for.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Yep, put on your flak vest, and form the plates after heating them. Flak vest/flightsuit fabric should be thick enough to protect you.

Is there a good way to know when they're fully heated, like any sort of visual indication? I heard that Sintra can burn easily if you're not careful.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2021, 02:02 AM »
Sintra gets floppy and a bit spongy when it is hot, and as long as you keep the gun moving, a little brown on the surface won't hurt it too much. But just give it a bit of a feel to see. I caught on really quick when I first did sintra. You will be able to tell pretty easily that it's soft. It helps to have a spray bottle of water on hand, just give it a spritz when it's where you want it, it'll harden the top layer so it'll keep it's shape as the rest of the sintra cools.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!