Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Karvas' WIP (Arena Pack and Fancy helmet!)

• 629 Replies

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
Karvas' WIP (Arena Pack and Fancy helmet!)
« on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:03 AM »
Here's the rough concept for the modern era plates.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 12:59 PM by Karvas Dral » Logged

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Debating about my armor.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:39 AM »
In the end its all going to come down to your personal preference. Which look do you like more, I personally like the legacy plates more because of the heavier look to them. They fully cover instead of leaving gaps and so far from my own personal experience I move better in them than modern style. Now modern style, well lets face it, that's classic and you'll never be able to beat the classic look. I mean its what got us all here to begin with.  Both sets give out their own difficulties of creation and both have their own strong points.

When I first saw legacy, I didn't think all too much of it. It was cool and all but it didn't really stick at first. However the more and more I saw it the more I grew to realize that I really liked the coverage aspect that it had. Eventually I switched over to the legacy chest armor design and I personally love it. I think it is exactly what my kit needed it just completes my look, a mando that's there to take hits and dish them back out 10 fold.

In the end, like I said you have to think what will suit what you want to portray for your mando better. Weighing in the amount of coverage/maneuverability each style allows including design changes you may want to make, what job do you want your armor to say you do, and so on. Remember we don't want to have to tell people what type of mando we are. We want them to look at us and know what our specialty is. Oh they're like a light commando type, wow that guys a tank, etc. etc. Let the armor tell the story and let it speak to the public for you from you.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:13 AM »
That's exactly how I feel!
I know modern is a classic, but I really like how heavy and rugged legacy armor can look!
I mean, I'm 6'1, 220 lbs nd I feel like I could fit the role of a tank better than if i was to try some light or armor, or even heavy armor. I think I might the need the coverage the legacy plates provide!

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:24 AM »
6'1 and 220 I think you'd look like a beast in legacy armor. I know we could always use more heavy tanks. I look at it this way; for me, there is the:

Light Mando <-- Good old Boba types. Maneuverable, quick, and stealthy they trust on their speed and agility to win the fight. Keep your eyes open because, by the time you see them, it might very well be the last thing you do see.

Medium Mando <-- These are our Jango type boys and gals here. Quick, well armed, and cunning. They use the added armor to aid their prowess in accomplishing their job.

Heavy Mando <-- Armor like Noval our faithful leader :D Well armed and ready to go. They sacrifice the speed of their counterparts for the ability to take more damage. They don't worry to much about cover leaving them more time to focus in on their target. While you enter panic mode, they're already calling their shots.

Heavy Tank mando <-- This is our legacy boys here (Full legacy at least not the hybrids). Slow, retrospectively speaking, literally tanks. These are the heavy hitters. They carry all the weaponry and ammo they need. And then some. Have fun looking for an opening in their armor because while you search they're already firing whatever BFG they decided to bring to the party. That or their faster counterparts are already on top of you.

Like I said that's now I see it. 

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2012, 04:32 PM by Drak Fiurr Verda » Logged

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Brilliant description, Drak'ika.  Brilliant.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:23 AM »
"LIKE"

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:50 PM »
I absolutely loved that description and its so fitting!
I think I'm more so leaning towards the legacy tipe right now, it all depends if can find a seller with those plates or not. Thank you so much for the help! I can always count on you folks to steer me in the proper direction! :)

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Forge Props sells nearly the whole thing in vacform and the templates for DIY-ers are in the Legacy Armor boards.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:52 PM »
Thanks!
I was thinking of doing it myself, anyone know of any good plastics to work with? That won't curl when heated?
And after my horrible break up with my girlfriend of 2 years I really need something to devote all of my time, so I'd appreciate if you guys could share out techniques.

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Forge Props sells nearly the whole thing in vacform and the templates for DIY-ers are in the Legacy Armor boards.

This ^^^^

There are the wonderful templates that Falin made and there are the relatively new templates Ohl'd Vart made that are more angular. The FP armor is based off of Falin's templates to give you an idea.

If you go with making your own there are a ton of techniques you can use to do so. Sintra, fiberglassed paper/cardboard, tote or trash bins. In my opinion the fiberglass method is a tad bit more advance and harder to get right than the other 2. Not to mention you need a well ventilated area to do it in. Then there is the amount of sanding you will need to do to get it smooth. It can be cheaper if done properly but unless you've had experience with it before, or are a really good listener to instructions you might spend a little bit more than you intended to begin.

I'd suggest possibly Sintra or the tote/trash bin method depending on your available funding. you can go either 6mm or 3mm sintra if you go that route. Then all that you have to do is get templates that fit you test fit, copy them to the sheeting cut it out and heat form it to the shapes you need. The upside to this is the surface of the plastic is already smooth no sanding just cutting and shaping. You might need to sand the edges if you get jagged cuts though.

That's about where my knowledge ends with it. Someone else can help you better. If you go the fiberglass route though and need help send me a PM, I'll be happy to help.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of using this big rubber maid bins for my plates, should I use this or wait for sintra?
Also, how do print these darn templates out! From a regular printer?

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Kiffar...I'm with Drak; Legacy is going to look sweeet on your frame...that's why I'm switching over from Modern, myself. IMHO, If you can wait for/afford the sintra, then I would go with that....nothing wrong with the bins, but they tend to be a bit flimsy, and detract from the heavy-duty look of the kit.  :)

Light Mando <-- Good old Boba types. Maneuverable, quick, and stealthy they trust on their speed and agility to win the fight. Keep your eyes open because, by the time you see them, it might very well be the last thing you do see.

Medium Mando <-- These are our Jango type boys and gals here. Quick, well armed, and cunning. They use the added armor to aid their prowess in accomplishing their job.

Heavy Mando <-- Armor like Novall our faithful leader :D Well armed and ready to go. They sacrifice the speed of their counterparts for the ability to take more damage. They don't worry to much about cover leaving them more time to focus in on their target. While you enter panic mode, they're already calling their shots.

Heavy Tank Mando <-- This is our legacy boys here (Full legacy at least not the hybrids). Slow, retrospectively speaking, literally tanks. These are the heavy hitters. They carry all the weaponry and ammo they need. And then some. Have fun looking for an opening in their armor because while you search they're already firing whatever BFG they decided to bring to the party. That or their faster counterparts are already on top of you.

Awesome description, bro...this is a keeper!

Rob

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2012, 05:26 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged
Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:31 PM »
I'll wait to purchase 6mm sintra then. Anyone know if home depot carries sintra?
Nonetheless, I might do a practice run off the rybber maid bins and double them up if they seem flimsy!
Thanks again for the help guys!

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:43 PM »
You'll have to either find a local plastic distributor around your area or order it online. Sintra in actuality is a brand. The real item is Expanded PVC Foam Board or PVC sheeting. Use those to google up a ton of different sellers and shop around till you find one with an item and price you like.

Side note: Didn't think my view on the armor types would hit the nail so well. haha

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Ah, cool.
Also how do I print out these templates? From just a regular printer?

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Ah, cool.
Also how do I print out these templates? From just a regular printer?

Yep....8.5" x 11".  ;)

Rob

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Thanks vod!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:35 AM »
For some reason I can't post the image using the bbcode so I'll have to link it, sorry guys.
Here are some really rough sketches of my ideas, any comments? About the designs? The colors?
http://www.imgur.com/yWzNk.jpg

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:04 AM »
Any comments, guys?

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:57 PM »
See if you can post a pic in the thread; most folks here WILL NOT click on a link....viruses and nasty things, you know... ;)

Rob

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Ah ain't skeered o' no links.

Looks good.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Ah ain't skeered o' no links.

Looks good.

Same here....that's why I have all these pricey anti-anti programs on my PC.... ;D

Your design looks great, vod....are those plates to have a black background?

Rob

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Thanks Ohl'd!
These are pretty rough, dine in oen, I'll get some good ones up soon!
Also, in not sure what you're asking?

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Also, in not sure what you're asking?

The base color of the plates, behind the red graphics....you show them shaded in pencil...will those be black?

Rob

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Oh, no, they'll be gray, but I was thinking instead of doing the red, doing a dark gold, almost copper color.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!