Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Karvas' WIP (Arena Pack and Fancy helmet!)

• 629 Replies

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Karvas' WIP (FINALLY STARTED, kinda)
« Reply #150 on: Sep 15, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Looks good Vod ;) just be careful not to make it sharp ;) or a con might get upset with you

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #151 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Thanks! And its pretty dull at the tip  :)
Well here it is. I think I'm finally done  :laugh:

Deimos Ordo

• Nah....I'm good
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 The most special of operatives Accessorised is the award for the best non-weapon prop. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #152 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:09 PM »
"Now, Thawts a Knife" (insert clone trooper accent) 8)

Advar

« Reply #153 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Approved. Give it color!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #154 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:30 PM »
"Now, Thawts a Knife" (insert clone trooper accent) 8)

Haha, thanks! :laugh:

And "approved" isn't good enough! What else must be done!  :laugh:
And yeah, dark gray? What color handle?

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #155 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Don;t make it too intricate-you'll have to repaint it on a regular basis with the grip/hilt smashin on stuff.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Haran Tracyn

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #156 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Haha, thanks! :laugh:

And "approved" isn't good enough! What else must be done!  :laugh:
And yeah, dark gray? What color handle?

Personally I'd make the handle color match your kit, so it's identifiably "your" knife. But that's just me. ;)
Your stuff's looking great so far, looking forward to seeing you at NYCC.

Advar

« Reply #157 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Personally I'd make the handle color match your kit, so it's identifiably "your" knife. But that's just me. ;)
Your stuff's looking great so far, looking forward to seeing you at NYCC.

He's actually making it for me :D Which is why I questioned him putting it in his WIP :p

The only thing I could Imagine doing to it would to hollow out a slit going along part of the blade, similar too..

But that, sir, is if you feel like being adventurous!

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #158 on: Sep 16, 2012, 01:23 PM »
if you mess up the first time with the slit, you can just bondo it back up, and re-carve it using the diferance in material densities as a pretty good guide in the location of the slit's previous cut. THERE, it would be a good idea to use a diamon cutting wheel and such bits if you have any laying around, they produce a smooth edge for plunge cuts like that, and if you use the diamon cutting "needle" shaped bits, cut into the matieral at like...a 20* angle so it goes down relatively straight opposed to crossing your fingers and stabbing a router into it and dragging the bit through it.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #159 on: Sep 16, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Decided against the hole thing. And I posted it here just cause..  :rolleyes:
And here she is! Primed! Smooth handle, I'm so happy there aren't any little scratches and holes!

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #160 on: Sep 16, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Remember how I did the rounded bottom groove on mine?  It makes it fit the hand a lot better-just saying...

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #161 on: Sep 17, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Finished. Unsure what to do with the handle.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #162 on: Sep 17, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Finished. Unsure what to do with the handle.

Thoughts :

1) You could cut up some Screen (Cheap/free) remnants like the Scraps my hardware store throws away .
Make a Faux Tactical grip cutout and Epoxy it on . Then paint again what ever color you want .
This will give Cool Texture & you  decide the Shape .....  Just sayin , I've done it it works well .
My sons 2nd set of Beskar'gam was Completely covered in Screen . It's got a Sweet Carbon fiber look .

2) You could Wrap it in Para-cord .... But that's a Dead horse & way overdone ..... Just My Opinion .

3) You could wrap it in Rags or Tape ..... I'm not a fan of this method , it's a Cop out ..... also IMO
 Push yourself , be Creative .

4) Sent it to me and I make a Wood Grip for it .

5) Make a Milliput or Epoxy putty Handle ... (Then Deeply Texture it with Screen or wire mesh , then let dry , then sand it back .)

There is lots that can be Done ......

I'm now curious to see you finish this Gabe ....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #163 on: Sep 17, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Woah  :o You,re like a textbook of cool things, Condar.
I'll keep those in mind for my own knife!
Since Advar and Byrek are coming by today to pick it up, I ended up just giving them a good base to work off of. I added a leather grip then weathered it with with sandpaper and shoe polish. I don't think its too bad, I like it  :D
Ignore the lemon related produce in the background, we're paranoid about scurvy.  :laugh:

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #164 on: Sep 17, 2012, 12:59 PM »
The one thing I didn't say is wrap in leather .....  :P

Nice Work ....   ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 75 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #165 on: Sep 17, 2012, 01:31 PM »
Nice work on the blade  8) ... How is it at dicing fruits and vegetables?

I do not offer empty platitudes! I do not offer easy victories!
Crusader Era Armor WIP - Crusader Era Helm WIP - SWTOR Electro-Staff Tutorial

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #166 on: Sep 17, 2012, 04:01 PM »
You made it, didn't you?    Dremal in you inials just before the handle...

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #167 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:07 PM »
It sucks at cutting pizza boxes open, thats for sure  :laugh:
Well here's me holding up my plates, tell me if they fit?  :laugh: The blue tape is where my Bellybutton is, I was wearing a baggy shirt so I'm abit thinner than in the picture. Hope this gives you guys a good enough idea to determine the sizing. Aside from that please ignore my swollen morning face LOL

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #168 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:30 PM »
1st cool knife ;)

Depending on How baggy that shirt is id say they are about right ;) 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #169 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Its like a fair amount wider than what I actually am. I feel like they fit because it all aligns with my collar and chest, the thing I'm worried about is if the plates are to small for the area around my chest because the ab plate ends abit higher than my belly button.  I'll try them again once my vest comes in, thanks!  ;D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #170 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I see your a Fett Clone too....  8)

in this pic, my gut plates stops juuust at my belly button, and I can ("sorta"?) sit down alright... What you can add perhaps is a legacy style second ab plate just underneath it, perhaps even were it pivots if you can get the bolt and channel sorted. Basicaly, have a slot under the lower plate(covered by the upper plate) and itll give you about an inch or 2 of movment.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #171 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:39 PM »
 :laugh: I guess I am! After fitting the belts, the about cover the space I was referring too, so I think that'll do a good job at that. Thanks!

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #172 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:41 PM »
it looks like you resemble connor freeman the most(guy on the right hand panels without armour on)

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #173 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Dont they all look the same? :laugh:
Also, are there any sizing issues from what you guys can see? Can i move further along with painting?  ;D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #174 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I suggest adding an ab extender plate like Niabi and Kraam Xrati have. It's basicaly a mini inverted gut plate under the pre-existing one to deal with that gap.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!