Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

my helmets (pic intensive)

• 441 Replies

Ca'tra Firaxan

• Proud procrastinator since 2013
Re: my helmets (pic intensive)
« Reply #435 on: Oct 03, 2013, 07:50 AM »
Epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #436 on: Oct 03, 2013, 08:57 AM »
What do you use to apply your black wash? It looks truly outstanding!!

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #437 on: Oct 03, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Thanks Ca'tra  ;)

Than'del,

for the base wash I used black acrylic mix with  some brown, diluted in a lot of water (maybe half n half?).  I did that layer, then took some of it back off using #000 steel wool.  I then touched up with straight black acrylic to get the scorched look, then lightly went over that again with steel wool, just to blend it a bit.  My final step was I took a silver paint pen and re-did some of the steel weather paint chips (gets really dulled down from the steel wool) and then went back over most of them with the original watered-down black-wash. 

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #438 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Another work of art!

A'den Kote

• NOM
« Reply #439 on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:22 AM »
Hey vod may I ask how you get the darkened edges on the damage the way you do? It looks amazing and the bucket I am finishing now could use just that. 8) :P

You don't stop when you are dying you stop when you are dead- Aden Kote

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #440 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:27 AM »
Thanks Tyno  ;) unfortunately I haven't had time to finish up the range finder for this helmet, school has been keeping me real busy, but I should have a chance to get back at this once finals are over in the coming weeks.

A'den, For the scorched look I first gave the whole helmet a black/brown wash heavily diluted in water, then touched up around the areas of damage with straight, or lightly diluted, black/brown paint using a fine brush to sorta dry-brush it on.  To help blend the layers I used #000 steel wool lightly over it, then had to go back over the silver damaged areas in some spots with a silver paint pen to touch it up.  ;)

« Reply #441 on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Nice 8)

"ijaat te oyayc, akaanir guuror haran par te oya'la."
"Honor the dead, fight like hell for the living." - Anonymous

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!