Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Saz: Mandalore helmet *Novall Talon build and paint*

• 261 Replies

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Saz: Mandalore helmet *Novall Talon build and paint*
« on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Hi all,

I guess it's time to show you all the secret project I've mentioned a couple of times in the past, I guess a little history is needed for this as this project started off about a year and a half ago.

Novall Talon approached me and asked me if I would be prepared to make an improved version of the Marrow Sun helmet that he uses as his Mandalore helmet. I accepted as, at the time MS had retired from helmet building and I saw it as an opportunity to test my build skills, can I improve on the MS helmet?

Please note, this is a custom build for the Mand'alor there will be no other copies of it apart from the ones I supply to the Mand'alor, this is a one off piece and done for the pleasure of doing it rather than the business of helmet making. Please also note that when Marrow Sun returned Tom ensured he was aware of the plan and we are still good with it.

So, first off we spent a while measuring the bucket and planning out where the key elements were meticulously, then I threw those measurements out and started on the bucket.

I will be adding to this periodically, as though it is a build, as the helmet is very near completion and heading to molding stage, but I felt it best to leave it till now to do a build log, so here were my initial sculpts.

First cut of the visor:

Adding the visor rim:

Now, Tom had made it pretty clear that he wanted the new helmet to look more sinister, so I exaggerated the eyebrows on the helmet to begin to show a deeper expression, the first initial steps were quite small:

But eventually I got them shaped in and the "brow" of the helmet in.

This initial progress took about 6 months as Tom and I worked together to try get the helmet he wanted and for me to translate that into the model.

Next update: Tom and Rich get into keyslot shenannigans and you'll get to see "When keyslots go wrong!"

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:35 AM by Saz » Logged

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Saz: Mandalore helmet
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Niiiiice, Saz...Tom had better keep an eye on it at C6, and never set it down near me with his back turned.... ;D

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Looks really Nice Mate ;D i shall be following this build with interest ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Nice work as always bud, nice to know the Mand'alor wears a Saz :D

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:55 PM »
As the old saying goes, British is best ;)

Nate Jangotat

• Just trying to make my way in the universe...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Boba and Jango
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Very nice work, the brow is awesome. Definately pulled off sinister  >:(

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Beautiful work.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:47 PM »
As the old saying goes, British is best ;)

But, remember...."if it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!"  ;D

Rob
(For you youngun's who never watched SNL back in the day, it's a Mike Myer's quote.... ;))

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Vart ! My mates Da is a dead wringer for his auld man. Mental !

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Vart ! My mates Da is a dead wringer for his auld man. Mental !

Yeah, it was good stuff...that's back when SNL was actually funny.... ;D

Rob

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:37 PM »
(For you youngun's who never watched SNL back in the day, it's a Mike Myer's quote.... ;))

"Hai! I'm Buh Wheet!"

Ciryc Cuyan

• Manda'Galaar Clan
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:52 AM »
i likea dis!!!

Official Merc # 433        M.A.J.I.C  # 050   
 Buffet Brigade #5
helmet wip: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79576.0

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:25 AM »
Right, next set of progress pictures:

Tom got on board with the principle behind the eyebrows, and even suggested that we could go one step further, hence a triangle was placed to represent a furrowed brow:

However, as swimmingly as things were going around at the front, the back was a different story, I'd somehow gotten the impression he wanted the standard keyslots with a circular back and i'd planned to mold it in... but as soon as I put it on, I'd realised i'd made a mistake.

Looking at that now, I don't think I'd even put it on straight!

Anyhoo, I removed it and did a brain storming session, and it wasn't until one of my mates took a look that i had the idea for the proper rear slots.

In the meantime, I began to shape the rear of the bucket to represent the cut in top half.

Next up, trouble with vents...

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Awsome,Awsome work!  This is going to be a magnificent helmet ! WOW!  :o

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Awesome sauce!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!