Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Detachable backpack?

• 16 Replies
Detachable backpack?
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:55 AM »
Hey,
I'm working on a frame hard pack, similar to sandtroopers or ESB/ROTJ Rebel soldiers. Haven't got any progress to show yet, but I was wondering...I like functional gear. A backpack that's attached under the vest like most jetpacks or mounted to the backplate would be a pain to remove, and I intend to make this pack fully functional for storage. How can I make it easier to remove without unsightly straps covering my armor? Thanks!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Detachable backpack?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:03 AM »
Hey,
I'm working on a frame hard pack, similar to sandtroopers or ESB/ROTJ Rebel soldiers. Haven't got any progress to show yet, but I was wondering...I like functional gear. A backpack that's attached under the vest like most jetpacks or mounted to the backplate would be a pain to remove, and I intend to make this pack fully functional for storage. How can I make it easier to remove without unsightly straps covering my armor? Thanks!

I don't know if it is Star Wars enough, but if you are just looking for a quick-release, this makes a great emergency release.  They are used on parachute rigs as an emergency release in case your main canopy needs to be cut loose.  They support a remarkable load and come free easily enough with a yank of the yellow cord [in the image]

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:05 AM »
Definitely had to watch the image a few times. It may even be easy enough to cover with a strap or pocket. Good thinking.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:12 AM »
Definitely had to watch the image a few times. It may even be easy enough to cover with a strap or pocket. Good thinking.

Understandable.  Once you get it, it's a very simple mechanism, but there are a lot of moving parts :P

Late Crusader WIP

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:26 AM »
It sounds like you want to be able to take this on and off during a troop, correct? If that's the case, that parachute rig might not work out so well because you won't be able to reattach it after you're done using the pack.

I think you'll want either hooks or magnets.
Here's an example of some heavy duty magnets in a backpack build: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=46540.0

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Yes, Ref, that's EXACTLY what I want. Where did you get those magnets???

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:54 AM »
I'd send ViciousVestments a pm in reference to that thread asking him. One thing to keep in mind is you don't want your pack to be so heavy that it pulls your backplate off your vest.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:20 PM »
It sounds like you want to be able to take this on and off during a troop, correct? If that's the case, that parachute rig might not work out so well because you won't be able to reattach it after you're done using the pack

Quite right.  The Snowman is a "get this thing off me now" emergency escape.  It is easy enough to put back together but not really something you'll be wanting to do multiple times per day. 

Late Crusader WIP

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:46 PM »
its so odd to see my builds in other postings, That being said, Magnets work well if your pack is light and you have the back plate on well. That pack is a little on the heavy side. So i used 65 pound pull magnets. I have a bunch left over from a failed rail gun (dont ask)
the trick with magnets is to have four points of contact.  it wont slip with four points. You need them strong enough to hold what you need but weak enough to remove with out ripping the back plate off with it.
i am making little metal cups the magnets will sit in. I am also going to have a simple strap system for the back plate for the extra protection of making sure the pack dont pull the plate off. Strapping the back plate to the chest (like a back pack)so the backpack can be removed and dont pull funny ways on the vest or anything else.

the magnets run between 5 and 10 a pop. just make sure it says 65 pound pull or higher

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:10 AM »
Same thing I was thinking, except if you wanted to use lighter strength magnets you could go with something like a "peg and hole" method that I utilized for my gauntlets found here in this thread:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=34282.0

Once the magnet gets sucked into the hole by the other magnet, it stays put (it won't slide or move or anything) until you pull it apart.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:20 PM »
sort of like what Will was saying, what about using the sliding chain lock things for the jetpack to go onto the backplate, and pegs that are on the jetpack. So you jsut align it, push it into the groove, and let it slide down to stay in place?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:22 PM »
sort of like what Will was saying, what about using the sliding chain lock things for the jetpack to go onto the backplate, and pegs that are on the jetpack. So you jsut align it, push it into the groove, and let it slide down to stay in place?

To add to this, if you marked a spot where your pack and backplate meet once you've put the above in place, you could add a strong magnet to either side to ensure the pack doesn't flop around or fall off if you bend over too far.

Oya!

Andry         ; )
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:43 AM »
I just read this topic and gotten my curiousity I see how the magnets would work for attaching and deattaching your pack.My question if you designed your back to have a secure hold and quick release as the ones in the movie hunter prey or that way would not be acceptable?

GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2012, 12:19 PM »
I just read this topic and gotten my curiousity I see how the magnets would work for attaching and deattaching your pack.My question if you designed your back to have a secure hold and quick release as the ones in the movie hunter prey or that way would not be acceptable?
Hey thats what im doing!! :)

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Up until a lil while ago I was going to bolt my jetpack onto the back plate with 3/8" stainless steel THE bolts, but i think I'll do the slide latch thing now after rediscovering this thread....I will post my resaults when the time comes to mounting.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies would love to see how you create your attachment.

GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!!

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:24 PM »
First I've gota get the rest of the 'gam done lol-backpacks and jet packs are more "accseories" than priorites at the moment.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!